INDIA ICC World Cup Champions. Congratulations India.

Who Do You Think Will Win The World Cup?

• Total voters

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I didn't like the opening ceremony at all. Few good moments & rest of all was boring wastage of time & whatever money it took. It felt like Sonu Nigam was shouting at every captain for some unknown sin they committed...............

Blackwater

Yes one of the worst opening ceremony i have seen, very boring. These bangla manush should understand that all are foreigners and they should address in english. 50% they spoke in bangali and rest in english which was worst than bengali lolllllll

warriorextreme

Country flag
Yes one of the worst opening ceremony i have seen, very boring. These bangla manush should understand that all are foreigners and they should address in english. 50% they spoke in bangali and rest in english which was worst than bengali lolllllll
its there country and it was a proud moment for them...they showcased there culture and that is good..
very country has write to showcase itself on such platform...but it could have been better

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Wankhede Stadium fails fire inspection

Wankhede Stadium, venue for the Cricket World Cup final on April 2, has not met fire safety standards, the chief fire officer for Mumbai said on Friday. "We will soon write a letter to the MCA (Mumbai Cricket Association) stating there is a need to comply with fire safety norms at the stadium. Once they abide by the terms we would again conduct an inspection," chief fire officer Uday Tatkare was quoted as saying.
"The team has found that the newly renovated stadium has many loopholes in its fire safety mechanism. The stadium must be in compliance with the fire safety conditions," Tatkare said.

Tatkare was on leave for the weekend and did not receive calls when Reuters tried to contact him on the phone. No other Mumbai fire brigade officials were ready to elaborate.

The stadium also failed an inspection by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in December but earlier this week was given the go-ahead for its three World Cup matches starting on March 13.

"Among the mandatory fire apparatus are ... water hydrants, internal riser system for the stands, no-smoking indicators, fire alarms and extinguishers have to be installed," a Mumbai fire officer said on condition of anonymity.

"There are some lapses which they need to look into."

Comfortably meet
The MCA, responsible for the stadium, was confident it could comfortably meet the fire brigade's demands.

"The fire brigade officials had come for a visit few days back and they had suggested a few safety norms after their visit," association secretary Lalchand Rajput said on Friday.

"We are working on those and we will be ready. There is absolutely no worry. There has been no formal letter from the fire department yet."

The ICC's tournament director Ratnakar Shetty, the chief administrative officer of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), said, "I am not aware of this. I am not in Mumbai."

The World Cup starts in Dhaka on Saturday with a match between co-hosts Bangladesh and India.

An ICC spokesman declined to comment.

Friday's warning will again cast doubts on India's capability as host of major events after 2010's Commonwealth Games in Delhi ended up being a public relations shambles despite a late scramble by the government.

India had intended to showcase its growing financial might through the $6 billion Games in October but organisational blunders in the lead-up to the event turned it into an embarrassment.

There were more red faces in India in January when the ICC shifted the high profile India v England World Cup match out of Kolkata's Eden Gardens due to a delay in construction work.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Wankhede-Stadium-fails-fire-inspection/Article1-663984.aspx

swag5

World Cup 2011: India beat Bangladesh by 87 runs

Virender Sehwag's 175 and Virat Kohli's 100* set up a stupendous 87-run win for India against Bangladesh in the 2011 Cricket World Cup opener at the Sher e Bangla stadium. Scorecard Chasing a mammoth victory target of 371 runs, Bangladesh managed 283/9 in their 50 overs as Munaf Patel took four wickets. Munaf took his fourth wicket when he trapped Naeem Islam plumb in front of the wicket to reduce Bangladesh to 275/7 in 46.3 overs. Munaf took his third wicket when he clean bowled Mahmudullah to reduce Bangladesh to 261/6 in 44.3 overs.
Zaheer Khan had Mushfiqur Rahim caught by substitute fielder Suresh Raina in the covers to reduce Bangladesh to 248/5 in 42.3 overs. Rahim hit 2 fours in his 25-run knock. Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan hit 55 off 50 balls before Yusuf Pathan had him caught by Harbhajan Singh at deep mid-wicket. Shakib hit 5 fours in his knock before falling in an effort to accelerate the Bangladesh innings.

Munaf Patel took his second wicket when he had Tamim Iqbal caught by Yuvraj Singh at short mid-wicket to reduce Bangladesh to 188/3 in 32.1 overs. Iqbal hit 70 but could not break the shackles as the required run rate for Bangladesh climbed to 10 runs per over. Harbhajan Singh had Junaid Siddique stumped by Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni to reduce Bangladesh to 129/2 in 23.1 overs.

The breakthrough came after Tamim Iqbal and Siddique put up a 50-run stand for the second wicket taking Bangladesh's score over the 100-run mark. Bangladesh lost their first wicket with 56 runs on the board when opener Imrul Kayes edged a Munaf Patel delivery onto his stumps. Iqbal and Kayes gave Bangladesh a flying start bringing up the team's 50 in 5 overs before Munaf struck in his first over.

Earlier, Virender Sehwag's career-best 175 and Virat Kohli's fifth century powered India to 370/4. Kohli reached his century off 83 deliveries with the help of 2 sxies and 8 fours. Sehwag hit 5 sixes and 14 fours in his career-best 175 before he edged a Shakib Al Hasan delivery onto his stumps. Sehwag reached his century off 94 balls.
Bangladesh spinner Mahmudullah clean bowled Gautam Gambhir (39) in the 24th over to break the dangerous looking second wicket partnership. Sehwag and Gambhir continued India charge after losing Sachin Tendulkar to a freak run out and added 83-run partnership for the second wicket. Gambhir slammed three fours in his 39-ball innings in the match. Sehwag completed his 37th one-day fifty with a big six as he raced to half-century in just 45 balls. A horrible mix-up with Sehwag ended Tendulkar's (28) stay on crease. Sachin was run out by Bangladesh skipper Shakib Al Hasan in the eleventh over. The master blaster hit four boundaries in his 29-ball innings. Put in to bat first, India openers added run-a-ball 69 runs partnership at Shere Bangla National stadium. The dashing openers took India's score to 50 in just 8.5 overs, when Tendulkar slammed his fourth boundary of the innings. Earlier, Bangladesh skipper Shakib Al Hasan won the toss and decided to field against co-hosts India in the tournament-opener on Saturday. Dhoni and his men are eager to settle the score after Bangladesh stunned them in 2007 and kick start their campaign on a positive note at the Sher e Bangla National stadium.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Bangladesh-by-87-runs/articleshow/7527277.cms

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think MSD has erred in his public spanking of sree. The guy has good talent but is hot headed. But let him be as long as he is getting wickets for india. Yes he will go for runs but the bloke is a wicket taker, he should be allowed to do what he does, within the laws off course. he is in your face and gets under the skin of the opposition. why stop him? All the rebuke has confused the poor chap and put him on the back foot.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Any idea where is the Bangladesh cricketer Ashraful?

He was a good player.

I thought India would go through Bangladesh like a knife through hot butter, but I think the pitch was not quite conducive.

Sewag and Kohli's performance was the icing to the cake!

Zaki

Country flag
Congratulations to India and their fans for winning this match

I was praying for Sehwag to make 100 when he reached 80 as i think he deserved it with the way he played
but i wasn't ready to accept the fact that he might make double hundred

that is because Tendular is too good to hold this record and I want that record to remain with him for another 10-15 years at least. He surely deserve this honor
far better than Sehwag

Oracle

Any idea where is the Bangladesh cricketer Ashraful?

He was a good player.
Ashraful is not in the WC-2011 Squad for Bangladesh. I am not sure, but I guess he was dropped from the side due to poor performance, the same way he was relieved off his duty as Captain of the Bangladesh side in 2009 after a disappointing campaign in the World Twenty20.

Bangladesh's captain Shakib Al Hasan is a better all rounder and a good leader.

Zaki

Country flag
Ashraful is not in the WC-2011 Squad for Bangladesh. I am not sure, but I guess he was dropped from the side due to poor performance, the same way he was relieved off his duty as Captain of the Bangladesh side in 2009 after a disappointing campaign in the World Twenty20.

Bangladesh's captain Shakib Al Hasan is a better all rounder and a good leader.
No Oracle,

Ashraful is in the squad. Its just he was not chosen to play due to his under-performance in recent matches
True Shakib-al-Hasan is far better than him. In fact he is the first complete and genuine all-rounder for Bangladesh

Oracle

/\/\/\ My Bad Zaki. Ashraful is in the squad, yes. Thanks mate!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Seriously you have no clue on indian cricket. Indian cricket infrastructure is world class. India has organized big tournaments including world championship not too long ago.

Don't criticise for the sake of it without having any facts in hand. The success of IPL could not have come about without world class facilities.
got to say mate, pretty impressed with the stadiums that they have used. some fine renovation work done and unlike what these stadiums used to be in the past. though i am disappointed with what was done with the eden gardens venue which should have got the india-england fixture, just because of sheer internal politics the venue got booted out especially after seeing the delhi one which is as good as half done, and they dont even have a quarter or a semi final there.

johnee

I think MSD has erred in his public spanking of sree. The guy has good talent but is hot headed. But let him be as long as he is getting wickets for india. Yes he will go for runs but the bloke is a wicket taker, he should be allowed to do what he does, within the laws off course. he is in your face and gets under the skin of the opposition. why stop him? All the rebuke has confused the poor chap and put him on the back foot.
Like in that movie troy:
Agamemnon(MSD): Alexander(Appam) cannot be controlled...
Agamemnon'minister: We dont need to control him, we need to unleash him...

Sreesanth is no Alexander, but he is definitely a important cog, especially since our bowling attack is not exactly glittering. I still remember the facial expression of Hayden when he was bowled by Sreesanth in 20-20 WC that India won. Sree can rattle the opposition, he can irritate the batsmen and induce errors...very similar to Harbhajan...a bit more radical than Harbhajan...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I don't see sree playing the next match. 2 seamers and 2 spinners for sure. Toss between Ashwin and Chawla. Ashwin is economical, Chawla can fox the Poms with googly. Its MSD's call.

Zaki

Country flag
some warm-up before the match!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles