India has world's worst air

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by tony4562, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tony4562

tony4562 Tihar Jail Banned

3. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

:laugh: China is by far the world's worst air. CCP doesn't measure particulate matter. The US embassy measured Beijing's air at PM2.5 1.593 milligrams per cubic meter. 100X worse than the amount considered healthy in a 24hr period. India has never scored that bad.

4. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Linfen, China (Worlds most polluted city)

Number of people potentially affected: 3,000,000
    Type of pollutant: Coal and particulates
    Source of pollution: Automobile and industrial emissions

Tianying, China (2nd Most polluted city in the world)

People affected: 140,000
    Type of Pollutant: Lead and other heavy metals
    Source: Mining and processing

Linfen, China - The World's Most Polluted Places - TIME

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    SPIEZ likes this.
  5. Galaxy

Toxic Linfen, China - The World's Most Polluted City - Pt1

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. Galaxy

Chinese coal-mining city is world's most polluted

In 2008, the world cast its eyes on Beijing, the sprawling Chinese metropolis that was set to play host to the Summer Olympics.

At VBS.TV, we caught wind of another story that soon had our full attention. As Chinese officials were taking unprecedented and often controversial measures to sanitize the notoriously foul Beijing air, much of the rest of the country was still covered in a thick blanket of noxious smog.

According to a World Bank survey at the time, 16 of the world's 20 most-polluted cities were in China.

At the top of that list is the city of Linfen, a coal-mining and manufacturing hub in the heart of Shanxi Province. Within weeks, we assembled a film crew and went off to the landlocked province in northern China to find out more.

After touching down in Beijing and making a quick visit to the Olympic countdown clock, we set out to visit the single most polluted place on Earth, hoping to place the dubious ranking into a human context.

Despite the Chinese government's promise of a marathon-friendly city, the Beijing air at the time was still plenty oppressive. But nothing could have prepared us for the dystopian scenario we encountered during our week in Linfen and the surrounding area.

Before the trip, I had researched thousands of images of the pollution that plagues Linfen and Shanxi province, but to see it in person is, quite simply, devastating.

The sun sets before it is supposed to, disappearing into a curtain of smog above the true horizon. Residents scavenge the roadside for coal that falls from the seemingly endless cavalcade of coal trucks, gathering it with bare hands. Schoolchildren play against the nonstop backdrop of billowing exhaust. Many of the elderly have trouble speaking between gasps of widespread emphysema.

Residents of Linfen are aware of the growing threat the polluted air and water pose, and some of them have left the city. Most, however, have no choice but to stay.

The infamy of a No. 1 ranking in the news media eventually motivated China to focus more attention on cleaning up Linfen, but unfortunately, the scene of overwhelming pollution is still rampant in many parts of the country.

As easy as it is to criticize China's bold industrial development, our visit was also a clear reminder of the same pattern of manufacturing and consumption that has occurred elsewhere since the dawn of the Industrial Age.

In China, it just happens to be on a much grander scale and on the back of a globalized economy that has rendered China into an assembly line for the world. The most compelling research I came across to this end are recently published studies showing particulate matter from China's factories and mines reaching across the Pacific Ocean to North America's West Coast.

China obviously has some cleaning up to do, and more importantly, some major strategizing to achieve a sustainable economy.

Our futures are inextricably linked. Back in New York City, the coal mines of Shanxi Province feel worlds away, but as oil now gushes ceaselessly into our own backyard, we should pay even more attention to Linfen if we don't want it to be a glimpse into our own future.

Chinese coal-mining city is world's most polluted - CNN

7. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

Some more link:

:: WorstPolluted.org : Projects Reports

As you can see, vapi was once a greatly polluted city, but activism and groundlevel action has resulted in improvement, can you show us something similar in China?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. tony4562

tony4562 Tihar Jail Banned

China does not have good air, it is a well known fact. No denying of that. But guys here always act like as if air in India is so pristine that it is befitting the royals. Now this is a reality check for you guys. Amand, you love India so much (of course that's where you came from), why hide behind a white man's flag? The fact that you participate eagerly in discussions related to India's internal matters, has long revelaed your identity.

The reaction of the forum members is so predictable, denial, denial and more denial. Of course had China or pakistan been the subject of the article, there would already have been couple long threads on it, and you guys would have gone berserk there.

9. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

I thought this thread is about air pollution in India, why are people dragging China into this thread?

I recalled last time I brought up misconducts by Indian doctors in a China-related thread, I was warned by the MODs that I would be banned for doing that and my posts were deleted.

Guess administrators of DFI may sometime practise double standards.

10. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Guys,

Don't bring in China into this. Let's discuss the air pollution of India. There are other threads discussing the Chinese air pollution.Anymore off-topic posts will henceforth be deleted

Singh likes this.
  11. SpArK

SpArK SORCERER Senior Member

When faced with reality , look else where...

Air pollution, land pollution, water pollution is real and is here to stay unless mentality of people changes.

trackwhack likes this.
  12. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Lets stop living in denial please. The first step to resolving a problem is acknowledging that we have a problem.

13. arya

arya Senior Member Senior Member

well if we want development then we have to forget fresh air

i saw in my villages now pepoles are using all the thing as they use in city , frankly we human are destroying the earth

is human and other have equall right to live on earth ??

14. arya

you want every thing but dont want pollution well on the name of development we have to pay something

15. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Since I stay in Delhi, I can say that the Air Quality in Delhi has improved y-o-y.

It is the greenest capital in the world, public transport is run on CNG, Delhi Metro is one of the busiest in the world, cars and bikes are governed by Bharat Stage emission norms, polluting industries aren't allowed to operate within city limits.

Delhi's main reasons for bad air quality ranking is dust , considered a particulate in air quality parlance.

Indian subcontinent's air quality will never be ranked high, because we are naturally dusty countries. In fact Delhi is more dusty than even Dubai.

==

Sridhar likes this.
  16. arya

you are right but what happen if on the name of money we change face of our villages

have you every stand other side of AC (air conditioner ) you will fell so heat and that we are giving to nature

17. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Regular Member

In this world every thing is give and take if we need growth we must pay the price for that.

The best we can do is to minimize and switch to more greener way of producing things. Or simply find a alternative product for the one which emits most pollution in making it work.

18. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

I dont believe India's air is worst... its bad i admit but there are other countries which has more polluted air

19. arya

well sorry buddy but your id is also symbol of pollution

20. lemontree

lemontree Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

Tony,
    You should choose more credible sources to start bash India threads..
    Your source is a blog...hardly credible. Its just a point of view.
    The source does not mention the agency that carried out the study, it just mentions "a study is conducted and written by environmental research centers at Yale and Columbia universities with assistance from dozens of outside scientists. The study uses satellite data to measure air pollution concentrations.". But by which agency?

Data of only Delhi was taken - and the report concluded that India is the most polluted country in the world!!...you look very silly by using such sources.... try harded and you could have found this - Global air pollution: what is the most polluted country and city in the world? | Environment | guardian.co.uk

21. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Well i thought blackwater aka kalapani is symbol of India freedom struggle.

birdy:rolleyes::rolleyes: