India has world's worst air

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
:laugh: China is by far the world's worst air. CCP doesn't measure particulate matter. The US embassy measured Beijing's air at PM2.5 1.593 milligrams per cubic meter. 100X worse than the amount considered healthy in a 24hr period. India has never scored that bad.

Galaxy

Country flag
Linfen, China (Worlds most polluted city)

Number of people potentially affected: 3,000,000
Type of pollutant: Coal and particulates
Source of pollution: Automobile and industrial emissions

Tianying, China (2nd Most polluted city in the world)

People affected: 140,000
Type of Pollutant: Lead and other heavy metals
Source: Mining and processing

Linfen, China - The World's Most Polluted Places - TIME

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Toxic Linfen, China - The World's Most Polluted City - Pt1

Last edited by a moderator:

Galaxy

Country flag
Chinese coal-mining city is world's most polluted

In 2008, the world cast its eyes on Beijing, the sprawling Chinese metropolis that was set to play host to the Summer Olympics.

At VBS.TV, we caught wind of another story that soon had our full attention. As Chinese officials were taking unprecedented and often controversial measures to sanitize the notoriously foul Beijing air, much of the rest of the country was still covered in a thick blanket of noxious smog.

According to a World Bank survey at the time, 16 of the world's 20 most-polluted cities were in China.

At the top of that list is the city of Linfen, a coal-mining and manufacturing hub in the heart of Shanxi Province. Within weeks, we assembled a film crew and went off to the landlocked province in northern China to find out more.

After touching down in Beijing and making a quick visit to the Olympic countdown clock, we set out to visit the single most polluted place on Earth, hoping to place the dubious ranking into a human context.

Despite the Chinese government's promise of a marathon-friendly city, the Beijing air at the time was still plenty oppressive. But nothing could have prepared us for the dystopian scenario we encountered during our week in Linfen and the surrounding area.

Before the trip, I had researched thousands of images of the pollution that plagues Linfen and Shanxi province, but to see it in person is, quite simply, devastating.

The sun sets before it is supposed to, disappearing into a curtain of smog above the true horizon. Residents scavenge the roadside for coal that falls from the seemingly endless cavalcade of coal trucks, gathering it with bare hands. Schoolchildren play against the nonstop backdrop of billowing exhaust. Many of the elderly have trouble speaking between gasps of widespread emphysema.

Residents of Linfen are aware of the growing threat the polluted air and water pose, and some of them have left the city. Most, however, have no choice but to stay.

The infamy of a No. 1 ranking in the news media eventually motivated China to focus more attention on cleaning up Linfen, but unfortunately, the scene of overwhelming pollution is still rampant in many parts of the country.

As easy as it is to criticize China's bold industrial development, our visit was also a clear reminder of the same pattern of manufacturing and consumption that has occurred elsewhere since the dawn of the Industrial Age.

In China, it just happens to be on a much grander scale and on the back of a globalized economy that has rendered China into an assembly line for the world. The most compelling research I came across to this end are recently published studies showing particulate matter from China's factories and mines reaching across the Pacific Ocean to North America's West Coast.

China obviously has some cleaning up to do, and more importantly, some major strategizing to achieve a sustainable economy.

Our futures are inextricably linked. Back in New York City, the coal mines of Shanxi Province feel worlds away, but as oil now gushes ceaselessly into our own backyard, we should pay even more attention to Linfen if we don't want it to be a glimpse into our own future.

Chinese coal-mining city is world's most polluted - CNN

balai_c

Some more link:

:: WorstPolluted.org : Projects Reports

Vapi, India (Update: Removed from list)
Update August 2009

Blacksmith Institute has removed Vapi (India) from the list of top ten world's worst polluted places.

More recent information regarding pollution levels has been given to us by government authorities, and pollution levels in air and water are significantly improved from earlier data sets. Significant investments have been made, both in pollution control technologies for specific industries, and in common treatment plants. These show reduced pollution in Vapi. Air pollution in and around Vapi is now generally within government standards.

Groundwater in surrounding areas has also been sampled authoritatively, and shows significant improvement. Earlier statements regarding mercury levels in groundwater, and health effects in villages, have proven to be false.

Drinking water in the town and surrounding villages is clean, and well supplied, according to reliable test data. There are no significant health implications regarding drinking water, according to a detailed health assessment conducted by Dr. Ratnam of PARIRAKSHANA.

Significant effort has gone into stopping illegal dumping within the industrial estate, as it is not tolerated by the Vapi Industrial Association. Dumps outside of the estate still exist, and are being dealt with appropriately.

There is improvement in roads and footpaths. All the open gutters are covered, and drainage from plant to the CETP is well established. Flowering shrubs cover both sides of the roads. Tens of thousands of trees have been planted, in and around Vapi.

The Common Effluent Treatment Plant (CETP) continues to be upgraded and improve its performance, and new investments being tested should bring all tests to within government standards by the end of this year. Heavy metals are well managed - only COD regularly exceeds government standards.

The Industries Association has built a Center of Excellence to improve the quality of products, testing of the materials, and advising VIA members on reducing effluents and pollution.

Vapi is good example of how industry has proactively worked to improve their environment. They are to be commended for these activities, and while more work still needs to be done, their commitment to work with government and NGO alike to solve common problems is one that should be replicated throughout India.

More details can be found in the attached reports and appendices.
As you can see, vapi was once a greatly polluted city, but activism and groundlevel action has resulted in improvement, can you show us something similar in China?

Last edited:

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
China does not have good air, it is a well known fact. No denying of that. But guys here always act like as if air in India is so pristine that it is befitting the royals. Now this is a reality check for you guys. Amand, you love India so much (of course that's where you came from), why hide behind a white man's flag? The fact that you participate eagerly in discussions related to India's internal matters, has long revelaed your identity.

The reaction of the forum members is so predictable, denial, denial and more denial. Of course had China or pakistan been the subject of the article, there would already have been couple long threads on it, and you guys would have gone berserk there.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I thought this thread is about air pollution in India, why are people dragging China into this thread?

I recalled last time I brought up misconducts by Indian doctors in a China-related thread, I was warned by the MODs that I would be banned for doing that and my posts were deleted.

Guess administrators of DFI may sometime practise double standards.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Guys,

Don't bring in China into this. Let's discuss the air pollution of India. There are other threads discussing the Chinese air pollution.Anymore off-topic posts will henceforth be deleted

SpArK

SORCERER
When faced with reality , look else where...

Air pollution, land pollution, water pollution is real and is here to stay unless mentality of people changes.

trackwhack

Lets stop living in denial please. The first step to resolving a problem is acknowledging that we have a problem.

arya

Country flag
well if we want development then we have to forget fresh air

i saw in my villages now pepoles are using all the thing as they use in city , frankly we human are destroying the earth

is human and other have equall right to live on earth ??

arya

Country flag
When faced with reality , look else where...

Air pollution, land pollution, water pollution is real and is here to stay unless mentality of people changes.
you want every thing but dont want pollution well on the name of development we have to pay something

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Since I stay in Delhi, I can say that the Air Quality in Delhi has improved y-o-y.

It is the greenest capital in the world, public transport is run on CNG, Delhi Metro is one of the busiest in the world, cars and bikes are governed by Bharat Stage emission norms, polluting industries aren't allowed to operate within city limits.

Delhi's main reasons for bad air quality ranking is dust , considered a particulate in air quality parlance.

Indian subcontinent's air quality will never be ranked high, because we are naturally dusty countries. In fact Delhi is more dusty than even Dubai.

==

arya

Country flag
Since I stay in Delhi, I can say that the Air Quality in Delhi has improved y-o-y.

It is the greenest capital in the world, public transport is run on CNG, Delhi Metro is one of the busiest in the world, cars and bikes are governed by Bharat Stage emission norms, polluting industries aren't allowed to operate within city limits.

Delhi's main reasons for bad air quality ranking is dust , considered a particulate in air quality parlance.

Indian subcontinent's air quality will never be ranked high, because we are naturally dusty countries. In fact Delhi is more dusty than even Dubai.

==
you are right but what happen if on the name of money we change face of our villages

have you every stand other side of AC (air conditioner ) you will fell so heat and that we are giving to nature

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
In this world every thing is give and take if we need growth we must pay the price for that.

The best we can do is to minimize and switch to more greener way of producing things. Or simply find a alternative product for the one which emits most pollution in making it work.

Blackwater

I dont believe India's air is worst... its bad i admit but there are other countries which has more polluted air

arya

Country flag
I dont believe India's air is worst... its bad i admit but there are other countries which has more polluted air
well sorry buddy but your id is also symbol of pollution

lemontree

Professional
India has world's worst air
Check out this link: India's air quality ranks dead last in the worldWhat do you guys think. Is it high time for you guys to stop laughing at others?
Tony,
You should choose more credible sources to start bash India threads..
Your source is a blog...hardly credible. Its just a point of view.
The source does not mention the agency that carried out the study, it just mentions "a study is conducted and written by environmental research centers at Yale and Columbia universities with assistance from dozens of outside scientists. The study uses satellite data to measure air pollution concentrations.". But by which agency?

Data of only Delhi was taken - and the report concluded that India is the most polluted country in the world!!...you look very silly by using such sources.... try harded and you could have found this - Global air pollution: what is the most polluted country and city in the world? | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles