India has lost the Maldives- China, Maldives firm up defence ties

addiction

in politics there are no permanent friends or enemies. It is the need or compulsion of the situation that makes one to select other! And there could be many factors attached to that situation. We have seen this in Nepal, where Maoist played Chinese cards against India, post LTTE SL playing Chinese cards, Post change in government Maldivis is playing Chinese cards, BD opposition if come to power, don't wonder if they openly play the same card. So, it is China who is funding the opposition parties and buying their support in return. If you see in India, Maoists are being funded and equipped by China the way Pakistan does in Kashmir. So, the culprit is China who is playing all these dirty games, but I believe, loyalty or support which is bought cannot sustain for longer as some or other day someone else with big pocket snatch the same loyalty.

Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if India's soft power policy yields anything fruitful?

Country flag
It helps the people, but ultimately it is the government of the respective countries which makes the decisions.
One recent example during the pakistani earthquake India donated 10 million in aid to Pakistan
while China gave 2 million but the enmity with India remained, blankets donated had made in India
labels taken out. etc...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if India's soft power policy yields anything fruitful?
Money and power matters. India lacks in both regards with today's China.

China can out spend, out aid us. India is quite in a catch 22 situation here wrt it's neighborhood.

Country flag
Money and power matters. India lacks in both regards with today's China.

China can out spend, out aid us. India is quite in a catch 22 situation here wrt it's neighborhood.
In some regards this is true but in Afghanistan and Bangladesh India provides more aid than China.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
In some regards this is true but in Afghanistan and Bangladesh India provides more aid than China.
China can out aid us you know that. I am afraid that once the US leaves Astan, china may throw in a lot of money and buy the Afghans. BD is good while Haseena is there. Khaleeda comes and boom!

Country flag
China can out aid us you know that. I am afraid that once the US leaves Astan, china may throw in a lot of money and buy the Afghans. BD is good while Haseena is there. Khaleeda comes and boom!
China has a different view of aid they view aid as buying governments and nations maybe we should
take the same view not the current benevolent view.

Last edited:

sukhish

it is very simple , instead of blaming china, why not get our own economic house in order. we need economic reforms that will propel our GDP and make us
competitive. looking at the circus in our parliament , I don't anticapate of that happening. execution of decision and that where china has a leg up.

Country flag
it is very simple , instead of blaming china, why not get our own economic house in order. we need economic reforms that will propel our GDP and make us
competitive. looking at the circus in our parliament , I don't anticapate of that happening. execution of decision and that where china has a leg up.
In communist countries things are not debated people have to accept the decision or too bad.

addiction

''

rightly said,.and....since vast minerals have been identified in AF, China will leave no stone upturned to make AF (saleable leaders) its close ally the way it did with poor but mineral rich African countries"¦India cannot match China when it comes to spending billions on buying its national interest but yes, we can and have certainly outperformed when it comes to making trillions of black money! That's the tragedy dude

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
It's debatable whether the GMR eviction constitutes a jus ad bellum to go to war, which is what an act such as a naval blockade is.

I'm thinking more on the lines of fomenting unrest through the opposition in the Maldives, painting the human rights excesses that will no doubt occur and using that as an excuse for intervention.

In the end, it seems likely that the present government- even if brought around to the position that Indian investment and presence is vital- will play a balancing act between India and China that will tend to tip more in China's favor over time than India's. So, replacing the present Government is necessary.
:hmm:
I suppose we have lost our cause for war in the Just Cause criterion
The reason for going to war needs to be just and cannot therefore be solely for recapturing things taken or punishing people who have done wrong; innocent life must be in imminent danger and intervention must be to protect life. A contemporary view of just cause was expressed in 1993 when the US Catholic Conference said: "Force may be used only to correct a grave, public evil, i.e., aggression or massive violation of the basic human rights of whole populations."
Fomenting unrest - yes. But do you think that there are enough people willing to side with the opposition and revolt against the government? Furthermore, at helm of India is no Indira Gandhi or Atal Bihari, just our timid MMS. Even if our agencies were successful in starting an unrest, he would simply not want to get his hands dirty. Lamentable.
You got to get your hands dirty, if you're going to achieve the impossible.
-The Prestige

arya

Country flag
its not about just phlips very soon sl, nepal,and other

Rage

DFI TEAM
:hmm:
I suppose we have lost our cause for war in the Just Cause criterion

Fomenting unrest - yes. But do you think that there are enough people willing to side with the opposition and revolt against the government? Furthermore, at helm of India is no Indira Gandhi or Atal Bihari, just our timid MMS. Even if our agencies were successful in starting an unrest, he would simply not want to get his hands dirty. Lamentable.

I'd say a 'just cause' would be intervening on behalf of calls to stop human rights excesses- you know, largest democracy 'n' all.

But I agree, that while this is an intelligence agency activity, it does require a strong political mandate, which I'm not sure exists.

Supporters for the ousted MDP can always be "found". It's the second largest political opposition in the Majlis after all. Besides, a new government that is formed does not have to have the same contours as any previously ousted ones, as long as it is not in fact inimical to our interests. Besides, the ruling coalition: composed of an alliance of parties that were confederates during the coup, is subject to fissure: at least one of the parties- the Guamee Ittihaad- has now formed a coalition with the previously-ruling MDP now in opposition. Some reports also said that the Feb coup was backed by well-networked, big resort owners, primarily because what's-his-face promised lower luxury taxes. If such or better arrangement can be found with these guys, backing another coup might not be so hard.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Reports coming in that the Maldives' Defence Minister has officially signed a military aid agreement with China, that will include: "cooperation in the military field" and free or subsidized equipment to the Maldivian National Defence Forces (MNDF) as well as the possibility of "future military education and training programs" at China National Defence University [note: Maldivian Coast Guard personnel already train at the PLA Navy Submarine Academy]. In a related note: Visa applications to travel to India from the Maldives will now take longer to process. India's huge strategic miscalculation on the Maldives is coming to the fore.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles