India: Half a dollar a day 'adequate', says panel

aimarraul

BBC News - India: Half a dollar a day 'adequate', says panel

Half a dollar a day is "adequate" for an Indian villager to spend on food, education and health, the country's main planning body has said.

Critics say that the amount fixed by the Planning Commission is extremely low and aimed at "artificially" reducing the number of poor who are entitled to state benefits.

There are various estimates of the exact number of poor in India.

Officially, 37% of India's 1.21bn people live below the poverty line.

But one estimate suggests the true figure could be as high as 77%.

The Planning Commission has told India's Supreme Court that an individual income of 25 rupees (52 cents) a day would help provide for adequate "private expenditure on food, education and health" in the villages.

In the cities, it said, individual earnings of 32 rupees a day (66 cents) were adequate.

The Planning Commission was responding to a direction from the court to update its poverty line figures to reflect rising prices.

India has been struggling to contain inflation which is at a 13-month high of 9.78%.

Many experts have said the income limit to define the poor was too low.

"This extremely low estimated expenditure is aimed at artificially reducing the number of persons below the poverty line and thus reduce government expenditure on the poor," well-known social activist Aruna Roy told The Hindu newspaper.

The Planning Commission also told the court that 360 million Indians are now being supplied with subsidised food and cooking fuel through the network of state-owned shops.

A World Bank report in May said attempts by the Indian government to combat poverty were not working.

It said aid programmes were beset by corruption, bad administration and under-payments.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So the average family is 5, so the family needs to make nearly $3.00 a day. Sounds about right for India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Half a dollar on PPP scale = about 2 dollars.

I'll tell ya this rural sector is so unorganized and unaccounted for that you will never know how much they earn.

Off course there are the poor ones, they are there in all countries but some of the pictures presented by the west esp our DEAR BBC, always wants to show India as that of half naked fakir!! BBC probably still dreams of British empire while its PM has moved on to a more realistic plan of actually making money from India. So much so their pride of QE class carrier was offered to half naked fakirs of India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
BTW, I remember correctly, that is a very old assessment, 2-3 years old.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
So BBC found this picture, of all the pictures? I find this very rhetorical. Even people living in slums eat better than that. Looks like a flood relief or earthquake relief rip-off.
Never underestimate the masters of propaganda BBC. They do it in a subtle way...so that there people dont even get a hint that its propaganda. Best propaganda is hidden propaganda.

Naren1987

So BBC found this picture, of all the pictures? I find this very rhetorical. Even people living in slums eat better than that. Looks like a flood relief or earthquake relief rip-off.

BTW, Armand2REP, thank you for your comment. You are just about right.
That's BBC, after Mumbaikars were slaughtered in 2008, they brought in that b** Arundhati Roy and started discussing our economic reforms in 1991, it's very neocolonial.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I just ordered a large pizza worth 512-Rs!!! Can people below the poverty line have pizza?

I will ask my jesus to turn Roti to pizza delite supreme! :D

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I just ordered a large pizza worth 512-Rs!!! Can people below the poverty line have pizza?

I will ask my jesus to turn Roti to pizza delite supreme! :D
Hell, even I don't order a 500 bucks pizza!!!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Hell, even I don't order a 500 bucks pizza!!!!
For me it's a monthly or bimonthly expense. My kids love pizzas. Pizza Hut has upped it's prices. One outing there and about 1200 gone!!

They made decent Caeser Salad earlier, now they have screwed it all up and hiked the price by 40!!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles