India grants residential visa to Taslima Nasreen

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by cobra commando, Aug 2, 2014.

1. cobra commando

cobra commando Tharki regiment Veteran Member Senior Member

NEW DELHI: Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen on Saturday was granted residential visa by India following her meeting with Union home minister Rajnath Singh seeking long-term extension of her residence permit earlier in the day. "I met Singh today (Saturday) and he assured me that my stay in India will be extended. I gave him my book 'Wo Andhere Din' (Those Dark Days) and in return he said my dark days are over," Nasreen told IANS. Earlier, Nasreen had expressed her anguish after the government on Wednesday refused her a one- year visa giving instead a temporary permission to stay in India for two months. Following her outburst on a social networking site, support for her has been pouring from various quarters with Press Council of India Chairperson and former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju demanding permanent visa for the 52-year-old who has been living in exile since 1994. Nasreen, however, expressed her surprise over intellectuals from Kolkata — her "home" remaining silent on the issue.
    [​IMG]Taslima Nasreen at Writers Buildings in Kolkata on August 20, 2007. (TOI file photo by Pradip Dey)

"I am surely surprised that people in Kolkata known for their righteous stand have chosen to remain silent. But at the same time I must admit I have gotten used to this. There were not many voices to come out when I was thrown of my home — Kolkata," she said. Exiled from Bangladesh in 1994 for "hurting religious sentiments" with her novel "Lajja", Nasreen took refuge in the city in 2004.

Read more here:
    India grants residential visa to Taslima Nasreen - The Times of India

3. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

The Bong Intellectuals are the worst of the hypocrites. No wonder they have been silent through out. They sway with the wind. Only when they saw the approaching doom of Lefts they swung to Mamata's way. Now neither Mamata nor the Left are comfortable with Ms. Nasreen, hence the silence.

Mad Indian likes this.
  4. TejasMK3

TejasMK3 Regular Member

B'deshi writer Taslima Nasreen moves to US following death threats

Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen has been relocated to the US from India after death threats by Islamist radicals from her country where three secular bloggers have been hacked to death since February.

"Islamic radicals reportedly linked to al-Qaeda, the same violent extremists who claimed responsibility for the recent murders of freethought writers Avijit Roy, Washiqur Rahman, and Ananta Bijoy Das, have been threatening the life of Taslima Nasreen," New York-based advocacy group Center for Inquiry said in a press release.

"Because of the very real danger to her life, Taslima has decided to leave India. For the indefinite future, to preserve her life, she will need to stay in the United States— where she currently has no job or home," said Ronald A Lindsay, President and CEO of the group.

Lindsay said that these death threats should be taken very seriously as three writers have been viciously murdered in three months. "We at the Center for Inquiry are doing all we can to keep her out of harm's way," he added.

The 52-year-old controversial writer from Bangladesh has been living in exile since 1994 in the wake of death threats by Muslim fundamentalist outfits.

"Having Haldiram's bhujia in America. This bhujia is export pack. Spiced bean and chickpeas flour noodles," Taslima tweeted on Tuesday. She arrived in the US last week.

"Her safety is only temporary if she cannot remain in the US, however, which is why CFI has established an emergency fund to help with food, housing, and the means for her to be safely settled," the statement said.

Without going into detail, CFI said it has been contacted by other writers in the subcontinent who have received death threats and who have requested assistance.

"We are withholding their names for their own safety," it added.

Taslima is now a citizen of Sweden. She has been continuously getting Indian visa since 2004.

She has lived in the US, Europe and India in the last two decades. However, on many occasions she had expressed her wish to live in India permanently, especially in Kolkata.

The writer of 'Lajja' had to leave Kolkata in 2007 following violent street protests by a section of Muslims against her works.

5. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

She will not be safe in Kolkata. Particularly under the TMC regime, she will really be in mortal threat.