India gets reassurance over Predator sale to Pakistan

Country flag
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/India_gets_reassurance_over_Predator_sale_999.html

The Pakistani army has moved closer to buying Predator XP drones from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc., after the company said it has received export approval.

But U.S. Undersecretary for Defense Michele Flournoy said on a trip to India this week that only unarmed drones will be sold to Pakistan.

The missile-armed Predator can loiter over a target for long periods and attack by remote control, a capability that concerns India, which has had periodic border confrontations with Pakistan over the disputed mountainous Kashmir region.

Flournoy confirmed an announcement last month by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems that short-range drones for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations would be supplied to Pakistan.

"We have put only two unarmed tactical UAVs, Scan Eagle and Shadow, on the table. They are not armed drones,'' she said.

The Predator model on offer to countries including Pakistan are stripped down versions of the MQ-1 armed drones the U.S. military uses in the Afghanistan and Pakistan theater as well as in Iraq. But they are without the capability to carry missiles.

The UAVs are used to monitor enemy movement and strike designated targets.

Late last month, California's GAAS said it won U.S. approval for an "export version" of the Predator that sets the company up for its first Middle East sale.

Previously, sales have been allowed only to NATO countries, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

"There's interest from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates," GAAS President Frank Pace said at last month's Farnborough Air Show near London.

The price of the contract to Pakistan wasn't disclosed but analysts have estimated a 10-vehicle Predator system, with ground stations and software, would cost around $400 million. A single Predator vehicle would cost between $4 million and $15 million depending on surveillance equipment and weapons.

More than about 430 Predator-series drones have been sold, mostly to the U.S. government.

The company had approached the U.S. State Department for a license to begin negotiations for a sale to Pakistan and other Middle East countries.

Potential Middle Eastern sales are as much as 100 units of the weapon-less Predator XP model approved for export, Pace said. "Saudi Arabia is a huge country and, if they want to cover the country well, they alone could get 50 aircraft."

After meeting Indian Defense Minister A. K. Antony and National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon, Flournoy said the United States was aware of Indian concerns over arms sales to Pakistan. The United States would monitor how the weapons are used in ongoing counter-terrorism operations.

"We are mindful of things which will undermine regional stability,'' she said.

In September 2006 the Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of the proposed sale combat Predator-B drones to the United Kingdom, a sale that eventually went through making Britain the first overseas buyer of the vehicle.

U.K. troops use the Predator in their Afghanistan operations.

bhramos

Country flag
I feel noting works at the Time of War or Intelligence gatherings........
some or the other way they would gain upper hand on us.......

Country flag
a single predator costs between 4-15 million but Pakistan will pay nothing.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
A "reassurance" is a cleverly covered up message that actually means "we'll do it anyway, STFU!", something to quieten up the local press. We'll see more such reassurances now that American jets are all but thrown out of MMRCA.

bhramos

Country flag
yeah jugad me mela tho wasi tho hogi.
i am sure they will learn the tactics how better could they be using them............

Country flag
This is the American strategic partnership MMS has brought for India.

Country flag
A "reassurance" is a cleverly covered up message that actually means "we'll do it anyway, STFU!", something to quieten up the local press. We'll see more such reassurances now that American jets are all but thrown out of MMRCA.
F-16 will be the first plane out of the MRCA, SH maybe shortlisted for political reasons only to get the boot later.

Last edited:

Quickgun Murugan

I think, these drones are Ku-band satellite data link operated. Wonder how US will share their satellite with pakistan? Their video recon will be processed only through US Military servers.

bhramos

Country flag
I think, these drones are Ku-band satellite data link operated. Wonder how US will share their satellite with pakistan? Their video recon will be processed only through US Military servers.
That means US will be watching what all these drones are watching, so that US can help India If these are going towards the Indian border......

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
F-16 will be the first plane out of the MRCA, SH maybe shortlisted for political reasons only to get the boot later.
unkil's plane will only be of use for republic day flypast and the joint exercise. during wartime they will be like antiquated museum showpieces.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
That means US will be watching what all these drones are watching, so that US can help India If these are going towards the Indian border......
Oh help that to from usa on pakistan????forget it...Havent india seen unkil's help in afghanistan...and on 26/11 probe and on 1993 mumbai blast probe.Unkil is shielding pakistan on every case.

Country flag
Phalcon's will track it, no matter what anyone thinks predator is not half the price of a warplane.

StealthSniper

I don't want to go off topic, but if America is helping Pakistan this much right now, imagine if they don't get the MMRCA deal. I see Blk 60 F-16 and other high tech hardware sent to Pakistan, and ALL FOR FREE.

Country flag
I don't want to go off topic, but if America is helping Pakistan this much right now, imagine if they don't get the MMRCA deal. I see Blk 60 F-16 and other high tech hardware sent to Pakistan, and ALL FOR FREE.
Imagine the worst USA gets the MRCA and then gifts the same block to Pakistan in a few years? USA knows they are out . Don't think this can happen? look at the recent Harpoon deal with USA, India bought a higher block than free one given to Pakistan ,USA didn't gift the same block but they let Pakistan modify the missile something that could not be done without US ok.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rect-against-India-US/articleshow/4950648.cms

Last edited:

neo29

In any relations with any country there are 2 channels, diplomatic channel and back door channel. In case of US diplomatic channel says you dont worry about arms sale to pakistan. Back door channel say buy as much as arms from us if you dont want us to help Pak.

Country flag
In any relations with any country there are 2 channels, diplomatic channel and back door channel. In case of US diplomatic channel says you dont worry about arms sale to pakistan. Back door channel say buy as much as arms from us if you dont want us to help Pak.
Neither of these will get USA the MRCA deal.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
What is more worse usa can do than winking at the nuke proliferation of pakistan and allowing it right under his nose.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles