India get the first 3 MiG29UPG fighters

sasi

Chindits: Russia Begins Supply Of Upgraded МиГ-29 To IAF
Russia Begins Supply Of Upgraded ÐœiG-29 To IAF
JSC Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG (part of the United Aircraft Corporation) began to supply upgraded MiG-29 fighters to the Indian Air Force. The first three aircraft are delivered to India by An-124 transport aircraft.
Modernization significantly extends the range of tasks performed by MiG-29. The upgraded aircraft, along withincreased capability to fight air targets, acquire the ability to strike ground (surface) moving and stationary targets with precision weapons by day and night and in any weatherconditions.
The maiden flight of the upgraded MiG-29UPG took place on February 4, 2011 atthe airdrome of the Flight Research Institute named after M.M. Gromov.
The contract provides repairand modification of aircraft for the purpose of extendingthe life up to 3,500 flight hours and service life - up to 40 years.
Developments of the RAC MiGcan significantly extend the life cycle of MiG-29, which was proven by the experience of modernization in a number of countries.
_

mikhail

Country flag

One of the ugliest birds in the IAF :D But she will be absolutely lethal! More than enough for PAFs F 16s.
when did the Mig-29 become the ugliest bird in IAF!i think that title should rather go to the Mig-27s of the IAF!personally the Mig-29 is my second all time favorite bird by its appearance(of course my 1st favorite is the SU-30 MKI:romantic:)

Blackwater

The characteristics of Indian MiG-29
upgrade was confirmed by TsAMTO analytic
center in Russia.
Engines RD-33 ser 3 with BARK-88 FADEC
and KSU-941UB removed control system.
Radar Zhuk-ME
FLIR KOLS
Sh-3UM-1 Helmet Mounted Integrated
Targeting system
Displays' number - 4
K-36D-3.5 – ejecting chair
BTsVM-90/BTsVM-486-2 – onboard
computer
BKTsO Digital signal processor
L-150NU – passive guiding missiles station
A new EW station (not elaborated)
SVR video recording system, KARAT-B whole
recording system
BINS-SP navigation system with GPS
A-053 radio-altmeter
MS-2 voice warning system
The weapon: RVV-AE, R-73E, R-27R1/
R-27T1, R-27ER1/R-27ET1, Kh-29T/L,
Kh-31A/P, Kh-35, KAB-500KR/OD/L,
unguided bombs 50-500 kg, S-24B, S-8
unguided rockets.
1500 and 1900 liters dropped fuel tanks

Defunct Humanity: MiG-29UPG detailes

abingdonboy

Country flag
The characteristics of Indian MiG-29
upgrade was confirmed by TsAMTO analytic
center in Russia.
Engines RD-33 ser 3 with BARK-88 FADEC
and KSU-941UB removed control system.
Radar Zhuk-ME
FLIR KOLS
Sh-3UM-1 Helmet Mounted Integrated
Targeting system

Displays' number - 4

Defunct Humanity: MiG-29UPG detailes
This is wrong, no? It is the TOPSIGHT HMDS from THALES the UPG are coming with just like the MIG-29Ks of the IN, right?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Russian helmet is better, Specially with R-73..

p2prada

Mig-29UPG is getting the Shchel HMS, not Topsight. Only IN Mig-29K comes with Topsight and is only qualified on the Mirage-2000.

LCA, most probably Dash IV/V and will be the best HMD in the inventory.

Anyway, as of today only IN has chosen Topsight I. Mirage-2000s are yet to be upgraded and we will need to wait and see if IAF will decide for it. The same with the MKI upgrade. Topsight I is a logical choice since it is owned by an Indian company. But it is a generation behind all the new HMDs coming into the market soon. I think only Prasun Sen Gupta came out with the Topsight I for MKI article.

I had already posted this before. As of today, old Mig-29s have Shchel-3UM (to be upgraded with 3UM-1), MKIs have SURA-K, old Mirage-2000s have no HMS while Bisons come with SURA-K too. Jaguars have MK3C/4A.

sam29

Country flag
How many mig29upg now entered service ,with declining fighters strength, these will be a great asset for IAF ,by now all the fighters should have been upgraded, but I m sure HAL is not that that efficient.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The biggest take away of the upgrade is the EW developed in collaboration with Israel. This has given us the capability to develop indigenous EW. We are making one such for Tejas. Now we have indigenized one more technology. Now AESA and engine are two left out areas which need focus.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
It is only a PESA radar.........
Upgraded MiG-29 To Take On F-16 In The Refurbished Fighter Jet Market

http://www.defenseworld.net/feature...e_Refurbished_Fighter_Jet_Market#.XIxgRB5X40M

A significant part of the Indian upgrade is the radar. The aircraft’s outdated N-019 Topaz air-intercept radar, has been replaced with the Zhuk-ME unit with multimode capabilities and mechanically scanned, slotted antenna.

A more potent radar upgrad, the Phazotron-NIIR's Zhuk-AME - also known as the FGA50 - AESA radar is expected in early 2019. The new radar will be installed into the Russian Aerospace Forces' new MiG-35 multirole combat aircraft and retrofitted as part of an upgrade programme for the MiG-29. An export version of the Zhuk-AME - known as Zhuk-AME - was unveiled at Airshow China in 2016. The Zhuk-AME can detect aerial targets that are around 160 km away and can simultaneously track up to 30 targets. The Zhuk-AME radar is expected to give the MiG-29 capabilities of a 4.5 generation fighter jet similar to the F-16 Block 70.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
IAF already tested the Zhuk AESA for the MMRCA trials and needless to say it failed miserably.
What is required for Russian jets to compete with its western counter part is just the partnership with India. Just maneuverability will not do. Low RCS, AESA, IFTS and good EW is a must for success. Russia should make something like planned Sukhoi upgrades. India is making AESA. India has made a state of art EW for Mig 29. Indian electronics and software to make Russina planes more competative.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What is required for Russian jets to compete with its western counter part is just the partnership with India. Just maneuverability will not do. Low RCS, AESA, IFTS and good EW is a must for success. Russia should make something like planned Sukhoi upgrades. India is making AESA. India has made a state of art EW for Mig 29. Indian electronics and software to make Russina planes more competative.
Russia has been using French and Israeli partnerships for years, it is the only way they have stayed competitive as their electronics industry lags behind.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles