'India first' is my definition of secularism, Narendra Modi tells NRIs

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Mar 10, 2013.

?

What matters most? Nation or ideology

1. Nation. India at all cost

31 vote(s)
    93.9%
  2. Ideology: Secularism, or even region, language etc

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

This is what even i keep saying as well. This is why identify with Modi. My mantra too is India first and India always.

==========

WASHINGTON: Denied a visa to visit US, Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi on Sunday took to video conferencing to address Indian-American community, saying his idea of secularism is "India first".

Modi, who often faced questions over the killing of Muslims in the post-Godhra riots in 2002, did not refer to the controversial issue in his nearly an hour-long speech in Hindi.

"My definition of secularism is simple: 'India first'. Whatever you do, wherever you work, India should be the top priority for all its citizens," he said.

"Country is above all religions and ideologies," he argued and asked people to follow the same.

"I agree friends that as an Indian, as a citizen who loves India, you will also agree with my definition...We might do any work or take any decision, India should be supreme," he said.

"Nothing less than India's wellbeing should be our goal. And if this happens, secularism will automatically run in our blood," the Gujarat Chief Minister said.

Modi was denied US visa on the issue of human rights violation.

Last week, the Wharton India Economic Forum cancelled Modi's keynote address to the prestigious annual event because of opposition from a section of professors and students of the University of Pennsylvania.

But, Modi did not touch upon the controversial Wharton issue. The event organised by the Overseas Friends of BJP was planned much in advance of the Wharton controversy.

Several hundred people gathered at two places - Edison in New Jersey and Chicago - to listen to Modi's speech.

In his address, Modi emphasised on skilled development of the youth - who now constitute 65 per cent of the total population of the country -- and asked the diaspora to help in holistic development of India - tourism being one of them.

'India first' is my definition of secularism, Narendra Modi tells NRIs - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

3. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

such campaigning language? every contender can resort to such nationalisitic appeals. Gujarat first, Bihar always, vote for me. easy!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

4. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Re: 'India first' is my definition of secularism, Narendra Modi tells

:rolleyes:

This is the classic tactic, pioneered by the Nazis.

1. Speak only of nation and nationalism, of uniting the country under a banner of progress and development, and sidestep or cleverly dismiss any questions regarding equality, liberalism or secularism by invoking the former.

2. Keep repeating the mantra again and again and drown other voices out by passionate oratory backed by threats of use of force (kar sevaks/VHP goons)

3. Once you come to power, implement your real agenda.

The Nazis also received a lot of financial support from (surprise, surprise!) Jewish businessmen.

Looks like 60 years down the road, some are none the wiser. :tsk:

HEILTAMIL likes this.
  5. Sukerchakia

Sukerchakia Regular Member

I bet Modi's idea of India has a lot in common with Subramaniam Swamy and the Sangh's India.

6. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

I think his version of India first means, i am first, he is saying all this because he is eyeing for PM post.

7. WMD

WMD Regular Member

seems like all the above posters know abt "Modi's plans abt India" better than Modi himself.

VIP, GPM, iNDiAN.96 and 4 others like this.
  8. Decklander

Decklander New Member

It so surprising to see how these guys so easily try and paint NAMO as a nazi.

gokussj9 and Raj30 like this.
  9. Decklander

Decklander New Member

IThe Indian Military Academy’s Chetwood Hall bears an inscription, which reads: “The safety, honour and welfare of your country comes first, always and every time. The honour, welfare and comfort of the men you command, come next. Your own ease, comfort and safety comes last, always and every time.” That truly epitomizes what a solider stands for and what he should be. Selfless service for the nation and its people is a soldier’s brief, which he is trained to follow unfailingly. Does this mean that the Indian Army is an army of Nazies? Every officer of IA has been bound by that oath till date.

10. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

They are afraid that their beloved congress may go into oblivion. There is a fear psychosis associated with the loss of power. Just like media hates Modi because he is Modi, congress supporters hate Modi because they will loose the state backing for the anti national activities.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

natarajan, parijataka, Raj30 and 2 others like this.
  11. arya

arya Senior Member Senior Member

well india start walk no matter you agree or not ...

He is only person who can give right direction...

If you don't like hard working want everything based on reservation then you can go for kongress...

But you want to see your children future then go for him

i dont want to see my children grandchildren pet to kongress family...

Now rahul priyanka then there son or daughter then grandson will rule the nation , why cant your children be as pm ...

parijataka, Raj30 and WMD like this.
  12. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

He's saying this since he took over CM post of Gujarat whenever asked about Secularism.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  13. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

A big LOL for you, Obama also speaks in same tone- USA and its citizen 1st so he's also following Nazi formula ?
    I don't see anything in Gujarat like what you say. The real agenda according to YOU of mass killing of muslims are laughable. Muslims here vote for Modi even after the agenda according to YOU was implemented here. Too much stress is harmful buddy, I can see symptoms of delusion here....

Raj30 likes this.
  14. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

So those who call out Political rhetoric of Modi or BJP, are automatically staunch supporters of Congress ?
    Please don't malign BJP by painting it as a party of irrational zealots.

You are an economist, every human is loss averse, and would rather see status quo maintained. No political party wants to go out of power.

In similar vein, there is perhaps a greater fear psychosis amongst BJP leaders (upper castes?) that OBC Modi will kick them out.

Media uses Modi because Modi is a hot selling commodity.
    I am not sure I understand your last point. Are you saying that Congress is an anti-national party, and all people who criticize BJP(and are automatically Congress supporters) are anti-national ?
    In that case 80% of Indian voters are anti-national including 52% of Gujarati voters. And all those bureaucrats, soldiers, and public servants are also anti-national by associating with such a Govt.

15. Singh

Sir,

You are comparing Indian Army's valiant Soldiers with Indian Politicians who excel in demagoguery.
    If you weren't a solider yourself, I would admonish you in the strongest of terms.

16. Singh

Modi is no Hitler.

If Modi were Hitler, Muslims would've been exterminated and he wouldn't have been brought back for his 3rd term with only 48% of the votes.

1. Rahul Gandhi does so too
    2. Rahul Gandhi is not an orator but he attempts to do so too
    3. Rahul Gandhi allegedly doesn't need their support as much because he has plenty for himself ;)

So Rahul Gandhi is a Nazi too.

devgupt and hit&run like this.
  17. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Anyone in India who says "Nation First" automatically commands my loyalties. Only a true soldier and one willing to lay down his life for the nation and duty can say such words. NAMO has been saying from yr 2000, much before he became a CM. But you need to explain as to why and how a person who loves his nation becomes a Nazi? did US and Brits or Japs not put their nation first? Were they also Nazi? How do you differentiate a deshbhakt and and a Nazi?
    equating nationalism to Nazism is the worst sin you can perpetuate.

18. Singh

I didn't call him a Nazi, and neither do I agree to the said members three point criteria for distinguishing "deshbhakts" from Nazis.
    Although I don't necessarily disagree with the three points he made in their own capacity.

However, my point is simply this, Is political rhetoric enough to judge a person ?
    When has Rahul Gandhi not said nation first in the last 8-9 years since has been active in politics ?

19. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Do you mean to say that by just saying Nation First by Rahul will make him respectable? He has always stated only party first. Rahul is VP of a party which has looted this nation and scion of a family which is "The Family" in the choppergate.

natarajan and gokussj9 like this.
  20. Singh

I am satisfying your conditions. You said you will respect anyone who says nation first. Rahul Gandhi has said that. But you don't respect him.

"Anyone in India who says "Nation First" automatically commands my loyalties. "

So like me you don't buy into political rhetoric, but in different circumstances.

Known_Unknown and The Messiah like this.
  21. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

If such a thing had to happen in India, it could have happened a long time ago.

What you are saying is just not possible in India. Not in this day and age.