India fifth most powerful nation

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Well, what can I say?

China got beaten by India one more time. No big deal, that happens a lot if you read Indian news on a regular basis.
Happens a lot? You must be crazy.

Every Indian news outlet keeps on and on about how far behind we are, and how we need to play catch-up.

p2prada

1) US
2) China
3) Japan
4) Russia
5) India
6) South Korea
7) Norway
8) Germany
9) France
10) UK

Quite a realistic list. I would actually move Norway up the rankings by 1 more.

US - Obvious.

China- As the second largest economy, the highest growth rate in capacity and a massive middle class; they have a reason to be the second strongest.

Japan- Even if their economy is declining, the political clout they have along with their economic clout is second to none. The only reason they are not second is because they do not have a permanent seat in the UNSC.

Russia- A seat in the UNSC, a major muclear power and enough diplomatic and economic clout to shut down Europe in a few days. Yeah! They have what it takes to make the list. With a more established economy and a modernized military they will move up the rankings.

India- A rising power and demands from other countries to head economic initiatives along with China and US, there is no reason why we shouldn't be right up there with the best. After all we now have a symbol for our currency.

South Korea - It is a regional power no matter how you look it and only behind US and Japan in Science and technology. As a major economic hub, it is as good as the Euro nations in socio-economic clout.

Norway - A major superpower when it comes to softpower. Nothing has influenced more in the modern world than the Nobel Peace Prize has. It is also a major country in setting up peace initiatives, weapons curbs and peace deals. It is a model country for the world to look up to. It has a major voice in the World Bank as well.

Germany, France and UK- The biggest euro economy and 2 major military and economic powers with UNSC seats. Nothing needs to be told about them.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Happens a lot? You must be crazy.

Every Indian news outlet keeps on and on about how far behind we are, and how we need to play catch-up.
True

No it doesn't. But then I don't know what crap sources you bank on for Indian news. AFAIK there's a hysteria here about China, forget about beating it again and again. So you can keep that sarcasm back in the pocket.
Its some useless government self praise but we know (atleast vaguely) where exactly we stand and that there is nothing to either boast or fear.

Regards,
Virendra
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-ahead-of-China-in-auto-sales-growth/Article1-684892.aspx

If we add this piece, then India has beaten China for at least two times on the same day! Not bad, I guess.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
This looks better. Only that we are placing different countries there based on different kinds of influences they have.
Like over emphasizing military might to place Russia up there and considering peace roles to put Norway.
But still looks like a very good list. Any thoughts of Brazil?

Regards,
Virendra

nimo_cn

Country flag
My two cents

1) US
2) Russia
3) Japan
4) UK
5) France
6) Germany
7) China
8) India

p2prada

My two cents

1) US
2) Russia
3) Japan
4) UK
5) France
6) Germany
7) China
8) India
It's the same countries re-arranged. Is this some other govt study from China?
I don't see Norway on the list. If it is a Chinese study, then I don't see the reason for removing South Korea as well. They are both very influential economically. More than even India in that respect.

sandeepdg

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-ahead-of-China-in-auto-sales-growth/Article1-684892.aspx

If we add this piece, then India has beaten China for at least two times on the same day! Not bad, I guess.
What exactly do you amiss with this news ?? Its simple statistics, showing how fast the car market here is growing, since as such the number personal vehicles is much lower than most big countries of its size, especially China and USA, this is just natural. As the economy is expanding, incomes are growing, more people are switching over to 4 wheelers from 2 wheelers. Try to put some sense into your argument, don't rant just for heck of it !

Country flag
This list is not as important as where the countries were on the list 10 years ago, and where they are now.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This list is not as important as where the countries were on the list 10 years ago, and where they are now.
The only thing important about this list is the revelation that the Foundation for National Security Research is made up of a bunch of retards. To add to the incompetence, MoD is going to publish it in the security review. I seriously have to question the competency of GoI to asses the nation's capabilities and threats if this is the source they draw upon.

amitkriit

The only thing important about this list is the revelation that the Foundation for National Security Research is made up of a bunch of retards. To add to the incompetence, MoD is going to publish it in the security review. I seriously have to question the competency of GoI to asses the nation's capabilities and threats if this is the source they draw upon.
I see a correlation between this "Great powers" list and the "Shining India" campaign. NDA started the "Shining India" campaign when it felt that it's government in center was a sinking ship, UPA is doing the same thing, Chest Thumping has begun, actually its the beginning of the end. We must expect more lists in next few years.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Boreing but this is the truth. Money and Muscle does the talking and always has.

1.USA
2.U.K
3.France
4.China
5.Russia
6.Germany
7.Japan
8.India
9.Norway
10.South Korea/Brazil

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Only if we could get the black money which is stashed in foreing banks and get all those who have their in the blackk money to justice and get some control over corruption and provide protection for the females, we can say that INDIA is a powerfull country. The thing is our politicians are being influenced by some CORPORATES, who have large investments and money to change the Government at the centre and make them do what they want. The present GoI is under the control of many people and not even the PM or PRESIDENT of INDIA can act upon their own interest and will. It is very funny to say that INDIA is the fifth strongest nation. Even our DEFENCE FORCES don't get a clear picture on what to do in a war like situation as they don't get a proper objective to achieve. In 1999 KARGIL war our ARMY was not allowed to cross the LoC, but on the other hand our enemy had all the rights to cross over the LoC. This shows that our politicians are weak to make some powerful decisions. We should have a great leader who can make some powerful and right decision to take our country forward and also our DEFENCE FORCES must not be under the influence of any politician and they should be given full control and make their own decisions when it comes to a war like situation because they will get a proper objective to achieve and they will be able to achieve the objective also. Our DEFENCE FORCES must have a MOTTO which is not controlled by any POLITICIAN and it should only be controlled by a person elected by all the three FORCES and also the person should be a CHIEF of any service, say from ARMY or NAVY or AIR FORCE and he must control the entire DEFENCE FORCE. This way we can become a formidable force.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I make the decision based on a weighted list of GDP, defence spending, and military production independence.

GPD...

1 United States
2 People's Republic of China
3 Japan
4 Germany
5 France
6 United Kingdom
7 Brazil
8 Italy
9 Canada
10 India
11 Russia