India drops charges against top Tibetan monk

huaxia rox

AFP: India drops charges against top Tibetan monk

NEW DELHI — Indian officials said on Tuesday they had dropped all criminal charges against a top Tibetan Buddhist monk seen as a potential successor to the Dalai Lama.

Police in the northern state of Himachal Pradesh filed conspiracy charges against the Karmapa Lama last December, after authorities found more than $1 million in foreign cash, including Chinese yuan, stashed in his monastery.

The discovery led to allegations in the Indian media -- vigorously denied by the 26-year-old Karmapa -- that he was a Chinese spy.

"We have decided to drop all criminal charges against the Karmapa," state Home Office official S.P. Singh told AFP by telephone.

"The police and the government lawyers thoroughly investigated all the charges and found no real evidence to pursue a case against him," Singh said.

The Karmapa, Urgyen Trinley, is revered by his followers as the 17th incarnation of the head of the Karma Kagyu lineage, one of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism.

He fled Tibet in 1999 at the age of 14, reaching India after a perilous eight-day winter journey by foot and horseback over the Himalayas.

Recognised by both China and Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, the Karmapa is seen as as having the highest profile of a cast of young lamas who might fill the void when the Dalai Lama, now 76, dies.

Since fleeing Tibet, he has mainly lived at the Gyuto Monastery in Dharamshala, the northern Indian hill station that is the seat of the Tibetan government in exile.

Officials at the Karmapa's office welcomed the decision to drop the charges.

"We had full confidence in the rule of law, and knew that the government would eventually conclude His Holiness was not involved in anything criminal," spokesman Gompo Tsering told AFP.

The Karmapa's office had always insisted that the money seized during a police raid on the monastery in January 2011 was accumulated from "offerings by devotees" from around the world.

The Indian media, quoting unnamed security sources, reported concerns at the time that the Karmapa could be a Chinese stooge sent to India to set up pro-Chinese monasteries.

The Karmapa had conceded there had been "financial mismanagement" but said he had trusted the administration of the funds to "lay workers".

"I have my hands full in fulfilling my religious duties," he told reporters in May last year.

--------
so is this guy chinese spy???r&aw suprisingly doesnt have the answer??looks like a power struggle in Dharamshala.

Last edited:

Predator

so is this guy chinese spy???r&aw suprisingly doesnt have the answer??looks like a power struggle in Dharamshala.
why so thick? do you even read what you copy paste? police found no evidence, so he was exonerated. the recent bo xilai power struggle has clouded your thoughts.

huaxia rox

none of my questions gets answered from u....

and u dont do copy paste articles???or indians dont do???

Predator

none of my questions gets answered from u....
how so? cant you read my posts and interpret their meaning?

and u dont do copy paste articles???or indians dont do???
atleast read the article you post before asking silly questions, when the article mentions police finding him not guilty then why ask again? cant you understand?

huaxia rox

The Indian media, quoting unnamed security sources, reported concerns at the time that the Karmapa could be a Chinese stooge sent to India to set up pro-Chinese monasteries.
so the concerns were before or after the guy was relased???

so now this guy walked out a good guy rite?........

Predator

so the concerns were before or after the guy was relased???

so now this guy walked out a good guy rite?........
The Karmapa's office had always insisted that the money seized during a police raid on the monastery in January 2011 was accumulated from "offerings by devotees" from around the world.

Now, how does it sound to you?

no smoking

Country flag
How? Pray tell.
Look, Dalai is dying, they need a new religious leader after he is gone. No matter he choose a new dalai, in next 20 years they need a mature one and this man could have been the perfect candidate given his aga and status in the religion.

After this investigation, his enemy in the tibetan group can always use this case to question his loyalty to tibetans. By that, the group could be seperated into the people trust him or people don't trust him. That will definitely limit his influence in the whole group and cause chaos within the group: he could not be sidelined as he is the third most important lama in tibetan budhha.

Predator

It sounds to me that India has done china a favor by destroying the credibility of one potential dalai lama's successor.
only if the accusations against him were proved in a court of law, then he would be guilty and unsuitable to be next dalai lama but since he is innocent no damage to his credibility.

Predator

Look, Dalai is dying, they need a new religious leader after he is gone. No matter he choose a new dalai, in next 20 years they need a mature one and this man could have been the perfect candidate given his aga and status in the religion.

After this investigation, his enemy in the tibetan group can always use this case to question his loyalty to tibetans. By that, the group could be seperated into the people trust him or people don't trust him. That will definitely limit his influence in the whole group and cause chaos within the group: he could not be sidelined as he is the third most important lama in tibetan budhha.
well no one can predict future like that. it could turn into be a blessing in disguise for him, since now nobody can oppose him accusing him of being money minded.

no smoking

Country flag
only if the accusations against him were proved in a court of law, then he would be guilty and unsuitable to be next dalai lama but since he is innocent no damage to his credibility.
That is the worst result- both side can find something favor their claim.

To his followers, there is no evidence to prove him guilty, so he is clean.
To his enemies, the source of chinese money raise the question that he may be a chinese spy and Indian security department have the same question on him.

In political struggle, you don't need a court but a possibility.

Predator

^since he has a clean chit from courts nobody can question him without inviting ridicule

huaxia rox

@Predator

of coz i ve read the article i posted...the problem is he says the money is donation and i dont know why his so called donation wasnt put in bank account or anything.....but was hidden.........why??? its a usual practice for these tibetan lamas and monks to ask donation and then hide them somewhere no one knows??? which includes RMB.........who would donate RMB??? can u enlighten me??? tibetans in india use RMB????

besides all this charge thing is somewhat irrelevent to what i wanna know from my indian friends.......i was asking if he is a chinese spy???how he hides money isnt necessarily related to if he is a spy......

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In the Indian legal system, unless there is clinching evidence, one cannot be charged or jailed.

Suspicion alone cannot be the reason for conviction.

This Monk claims that he has got the Chinese money from his followers in Hong Kong and from Tibet.

I am sure he must be having some proof for the same.

On the question of whether he is a Chinese spy.

Time alone can tell.

His so called 'escape' is not believed by many.

The Karmapa is the head of Karma Kagyu sect.

Since the death of the sixteenth Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpe Dorje, in 1981, two candidates have been put forward:

Ogyen Trinley Dorje (also spelled Urgyen Trinley Dorje)
Trinley Thaye Dorje

Both have already been enthroned as 17th Karmapa, and both independently have been performing ceremonial duties in the role of a Karmapa. This has divided the sect into followers of each. And there is a silent tussle.

Therefore, rumours and left handed accusations against each other will naturally vitiate the system and confuse the legal system.

Religion being an important part of Indian philosophy, one cannot act with haste against religious leaders.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
^since he has a clean chit from courts nobody can question him without inviting ridicule
Come on, we are talking about politics not a court trial. Court can only decide if he should go to jail and deported. But there is no way you can prevent a doubt on his loyalty.

Even crimial convition can be questioned by public after trial, not to mention a far more complicated political game.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Our courts cannot be influenced by politics, political leaders or political parties.

That is why so many rulings of the Court goes against the Govt and ruling political leaders.

Questioning court verdicts can lead to contempt of court and sentencing.

no smoking

Country flag
Our courts cannot be influenced by politics, political leaders or political parties.

That is why so many rulings of the Court goes against the Govt and ruling political leaders.

Questioning court verdicts can lead to contempt of court and sentencing.
Ray, do you mean that in india, if I speak out my doubt about any court verdict publicly, I would face some legal consequence?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles