India downs a goliath China in Asia Cup Basketball

Sea Eagle

Basketball: In a first, India beat mighty China 65-58 at FIBA Asia Cup

Basketball: In a first, India beat mighty China 65-58 at FIBA Asia Cup
India went into the game as underdogs and China obviously the overwhelming favourites especially after their superb win against Iran on Saturday, but things on court were a complete contrast.

While the country is focussed on the World Cup final, India created basketball history at the Wuhan SC on Sunday beating China 65-58 in a Group A game of the 5th FIBA Asia Cup for their first ever win over the mighty and more fancied rivals providing a new twist to the proceedings of the Prelim Round.
India went into the game as underdogs and China obviously the overwhelming favourites especially after their superb win against Iran on Saturday, but things on court were a complete contrast.
China began the scoring for the game, but it was India all the way after that for the entire first half with their show all-round attack. Thus for the first time in the history, India went into the locker room ahead of their mighty rivals, having led by as many as 15 points at one stage in the second quarter.
That lead felt threatened when the hosts returned refreshed and seemingly regained in their composure, but the Indian team seemed to have found an answer to every question China posed. And when they put forward their own posers there were very little in way of reaction or reply from China.
Pratham Singh and Amjyot Singh shared the scoring honors for India with 13 points apiece and Vishesh Bhriguvanshi the bulwark of the Indian campaign added 10 points.
Gao Shang and Zhou Qi were at the forefront of the Chinese cause with a dozen points each.
Neither team found words to describe their plight - India excited beyond expression in their epochal triumph and China stunned into silence by the reality of a highly improbable result.
"I don't know what to say, because this (the win against China) has never happened before," said Bhriguvanshi.
"But we certainly deserved to win. We worked hard for this," he added.
"I'm not surprised at all," said India coach Scott Flemming.
"Full marks to the players for holding it together. I think it's an overdue win for India and there's no way anyone can take the credit away from the boys," he added.
"Well, this is a young team. Such results are expected," reacted China coach Wang Huaiyu.
"They (India) really deserved the win because they certainly played better than us. But our very purpose is to learn from these mistakes. We win some and we lose some at this stage. But every game is a lesson for us," he added.

Basketball In a first India beat mighty China 6558 at FIBA Asia Cup - Page 2 | Firstpost

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India downs a goliath China in Asia Cup Basketball

India is ranked 11th in the continent and 61st in the world in basketball. But that did not deter Indian cagers to stun favourites China 65-58 in a Group A game of the 5th FIBA Asia Cup basketball championship for a historic first-ever triumph over the world's 12th-ranked nation at Wuhan.

Pratham Singh and Amjyot Singh scored 13 points apiece, while pivotal player Vishesh Bhriguvanshi notched up 10 points as India led the continental giants by 15 points after the second quarter, according to FIBA Asia website.

In head-to-head record, 15-time winners of the Asian Basketball Championship, China had won all their seven previous meetings in the FIBA ABC between the two rivals, by at least 30 points on each occasion, but this was the first time the two teams met in the FIBA Asia Cup. It was India's first win in two games in the five-team group also comprising Asia no. 2 Iran, no. 7 Japan and no. 14 Indonesia.

Coach Scott Fleming said it was a surprise to him why this, a victory over China, had not happened earlier.

"In fact, I'm more surprised that this was the first win for India against China. Because we have a lot of potential and this should have happened much earlier, Flemming told FIBA Asia website. For me personally, this win was another game in this competition. We have lot more games to go. But for these guys (the players) it's a great result for all the hard work they have put all these years," the American said.

"I'm so happy for these players. And I'm so happy for the country. I've coached for 32 years in the USA, and the only reason I came here win or lose was to make a difference in the lives of these players. There were a few questions asked when we won in January (the Lusofonia Games gold medal beating Angola). I think this win last night adds credibility to that earlier victory. With this win, we are no longer a team with just potential. We can also perform to prove it," Fleming added.

"Well, this is a young team. Such results are expected. They (India) really deserved the win because they certainly played better than us," China coach Wang Huaiyu said.
After the Olympics, the Chinese posters gloated about the inability of India to shine in sports, while they rode triumphant.

Are the Chinese losing touch?

Defeated by non athletic Indians?

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Re: Basketball: In a first, India beat mighty China 65-58 at FIBA Asia

I see Basketball getting big in India. :yey:

bose

Country flag
Thanks to sustained doping and administration of hormones to Chinese athletes right from the early age gives Chinese an undue advantage in Olympic games... Earlier we used to see the USSR ruling the Olympic games some two decades or more back and they mastered the doping or misuse of sports medicines rampantly... The baton has been passed on to Chinese now...

One will not find Chinese good at sports such as Football, Boxing, Wrestling or Hockey ...

EXPERT

fantastic, let's give them the taste of losers. .

Illusive

Country flag
Great work team India, sad to see the stadium empty though.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles