India develops high-grade titanium technology

SpArK

SORCERER
India develops high-grade titanium technology

15 November 2011

Hyderabad: India has joined a select group of nations which can develop high purity aeronautical grade titanium for space and defence applications. The technology has been developed by a DRDO laboratory.

According to Defence Research and Development Organisation chief and scientific advisor to the defence minister, Dr VK Saraswat, the technology was developed by the Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) and transferred to Kerala Metals and Minerals Ltd (KMML), which is setting up a 500-tonne year capacity plant.

The product produced by KMML would, in turn, be converted into a finished product by government MIDHANI (Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd) for use in space and defence applications.

MIDHANI is a Government of India-owned enterprise

Dr Saraswat was speaking after inaugurating the 65th annual technical meeting of the Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) at Shamirpet near here on Sunday.

DMRL director, G Malkondiah, said the technology was developed after a two-decade-long research.

M. Narayana Rao, chairman and managing director, MIDHANI said the newly developed technology was an import substitution product and only four other countries - United States, Russia, Japan and Kyrgyzstan had the knowhow to produce aeronautical grade titanium.

Dr. Saraswat said DMRL had also developed special steel for missiles and space components.

Later, Dr. Saraswat presented IIM awards to scientists for their distinguished services for research and education in the field of metallurgy.

domain-b.com : India develops high-grade titanium technology: Dr VK Saraswat

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I have two question : How did Kyrgyzstan end up with such hi-end technology and did they sale it to anyone?

p2prada

I still don't get the roses though.

I have two question : How did Kyrgyzstan end up with such hi-end technology and did they sale it to anyone?
The article missed France, UK, Germany and China too. I guess even Brazil, but not on fighters.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
What's up with the roses?
Remember that our Nuclear tests were for propagating peace and harmony (picture a mushroom cloud over a highly populated city); no doubt this development represents no significance to defense or advance weapons - but 'Love', hence such a photo op. with roses and white stoles! :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles