India Developing New AESA Radar for Light Combat Aircraft Mark II

The Fox

India Developing New AESA Radar for Light Combat Aircraft Mark II.

NEW DELHI — India will mount a homemade active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar on the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Mark-2, Indian Air Force sources said. However the LCA is nearly 15 years behind schedule, and the Mark-2 prototype is not expected to fly until 2013.

India's Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) is developing the AESA radar for the LCA-Mark-2, sources said. They did not reveal to what extent it will indigenous, but said overseas help will be sought for the radar's completion.

The Indian content of the LCA Mark-2 will be about 70 percent, according to one scientist with the DRDO's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which spearheads LCA development.

The LCA Mark-1, which is due for induction in 2013-2014, will not be used for combat because it does not have the required thrust. The Mark-2, however, will be powered by the General Electric F414 engine and the aircraft has added two tons to the LCA's original weight of eight tons.

ADA had to look overseas for a suitable engine for the Mark-2 because of technical snags in the development of the Indian-made Kaveri engine.

The Air Force has ordered 20 LCA Mark-1 aircraft and is likely to order more then 200 LCA Mark-2s once the aircraft is inducted into service.

The single-seat, single-engine LCA is an advanced technology supersonic, multirole, air-superiority fighter designed for air-to-air, air-to-ground and air-to-sea combat. Proposed in 1983, the LCA entered full-scale engineering development in 1993.

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. is the principal producer of the LCA.

India Developing New AESA Radar for Light Combat Aircraft | Defense News | defensenews.com

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Let's be honest, DODO can't develop an AESA radar. 70% of its mass will be Indian production but 70% of its value will be imported technology.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Yes, Armend2rep you are so right. On the other hand you are so wrong. Which is better - making your own or importing it with the pulls and whims lf Israel, Russia, US or other makers.

If it is 70% import today then it will be 80% year after and decrease in next five years. Then the outside powers do not push you to the corner.

I wish to add one more point that the learning value is far greater than turn mey imports.

Zebra

Country flag
Let's be honest, DODO can't develop an AESA radar. 70% of its mass will be Indian production but 70% of its value will be imported technology.
Dude, let's be honest, AESA radar is a all new product for that 'DODO', which they are developing now.

But that 'DODO' can develop a 10 k missile. If I am not wrong.

I think, western countries won't mind it, if they test it.

Yeah, missile and AESA radar, they are two different things and can't be compared.

But then, I am just talking what that 'DODO' can develop anyway.

mikhail

Country flag
whywe are developing the AESA radar for the LCA-mk2 all by ourselves:confused:!we can easily collaborate with ELTA of Israel or with Dessault and make a first class AESA radar without much effort!:shocked:

mikhail

Country flag
confirms that mk2 will enter service by 2017
no mate afaik LCA-mk2 will get FOC by 2015 as the LCA platform is already tested for thousands of flight hours!so it will start mass producing from 2016 onwards:)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
guys pls understand we are good with radars, good example is LRTR, AWAC radar and host of other radars. Even radar on LCA-1, hybrid radar, made by drdo with help from Isreal. Plus we will get good look at it in MRCA. We will also get the same in Rafale fighter.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Dude, let's be honest, AESA radar is a all new product for that 'DODO', which they are developing now.

But that 'DODO' can develop a 10 k missile. If I am not wrong.

I think, western countries won't mind it, if they test it.

Yeah, missile and AESA radar, they are two different things and can't be compared.

But then, I am just talking what that 'DODO' can develop anyway.
I am just thinking back to the leaked defence audit that showed DRDO pretends to develop radar technology, but actually buys it from Israel and claims it as its own. Lets be honest, didn't Indian missiles have Israeli gyroscopes? Israel is turning into DRDO's masked research lab. I say shut it down, fund private companies either Indian, or foreign based in India and get them to develop it in house. That way GoI controls technology rights because they paid for it. It is no benefit buying second hand technology from Israel that Israel still controls at the end of the day.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
you guys have no idea as to how those so called friends rob us by selling their tech.

Country flag
There must be a lot of development in radar with indigenous AWAC and indigenous AESA being
produced even if it is not perfect it will be in the future.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
laser gyro for A5, was made in India, such tech is not exported.
France exports such technology every day. Sagem has exported over 20,000 ring laser gyros to date. They are not only used in missiles.

illuminatidinesh

France exports such technology every day. Sagem has exported over 20,000 ring laser gyros to date. They are not only used in missiles.
I thought Laser Gyros were indigenous or were based on Russian tech...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I thought Laser Gyros were indigenous or were based on Russian tech...
Who makes the ring laser gyros and where is it listed? I can't find anything on who makes it in India. The only thing I have heard is that they were imported from Israel because the indigenous RLGs failed. I know well who makes ours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinblade

Country flag
Go to the Tejas thread, use thread search feature, I have documented the entire AESA develeopment status in India, including Tejas AESA mmr.

I am just thinking back to the leaked defence audit that showed DRDO pretends to develop radar technology, but actually buys it from Israel and claims it as its own. Lets be honest, didn't Indian missiles have Israeli gyroscopes? Israel is turning into DRDO's masked research lab. I say shut it down, fund private companies either Indian, or foreign based in India and get them to develop it in house. That way GoI controls technology rights because they paid for it. It is no benefit buying second hand technology from Israel that Israel still controls at the end of the day.
Which radar are you talking about, Arudra ? Aslesha ? Ashwini? ;) There are a good dozen private enterprizes which are competing with DPSUs to supply components of radar and missiles simply because various DRDO labs chose them over DPSUs as technology and development partners. I would advise you to go through how the defence procurement setup works in India, because your post reeks of ignorance and common internet banter.

Who makes the ring laser gyros and where is it listed? I can't find anything on who makes it in India. The only thing I have heard is that they were imported from Israel because the indigenous RLGs failed. I know well who makes ours.
Recearch Center Imarat, Hyderabad. Dr Saraswat was one of the people who were critical in setting up the RLG manufacturing setup at RCI. The rest of your post is pure BS.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Go to the Tejas thread, use thread search feature, I have documented the entire AESA develeopment status in India, including Tejas AESA mmr.
I have seen that thread many times and it documented well DODOs failure at developing an MMR.

Which radar are you talking about, Arudra ? Aslesha ? Ashwini? ;) There are a good dozen private enterprizes which are competing with DPSUs to supply components of radar and missiles simply because various DRDO labs chose them over DPSUs as technology and development partners. I would advise you to go through how the defence procurement setup works in India, because your post reeks of ignorance and common internet banter.
Obviously I am talking about the radars listed in the CGDA audit of DRDO. Funding going to AMCS to develop AESA when it is an organisation that has ZERO experience in it that should have gone to LRDE. They in turn hired a bunch of foreign consultants (Elta) to develop MMR AESA. What DPSUs are you refering? If you are talking about Elta then you would be correct. I would advise you to go through how the defence procument setup works. DODO is incapable of developing said technology so they or GoI goes to country B to buy technology to complete said project. It is evident in every tech intensive project DODO has ever done. Your post reeks of nationalistic pride and flag waving so the proof is in the pudding. DRDO is a failure.

Recearch Center Imarat, Hyderabad. Dr Saraswat was one of the people who were critical in setting up the RLG manufacturing setup at RCI. The rest of your post is pure BS.
A research centre conducts manufacturing... :rofl: that is some cover-up. :laugh:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Now I want you to think about something carefully before you start calling me names. If RCI has mastered the RLG for many years now, why does it not have less sophisticated inertial reference spin-off products? Why does Sagem have to provide INS systems for Indian Army, Navy and Air Force? That should have been replaced domestically long ago.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

this lab makes it

DRDO

you can check out A5 thread i have posted pic of the Laser Gyro and one video is also posted for the same.

ok got that pic

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles