India developing interceptor missile with 5,000 km range

bhramos

Country flag
NEW DELHI: India has started working on a network of air-defence systems which would be able to shoot down any enemy missile even at a distance of 5,000 kms, before it can enter the Indian air space.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has already developed a missile that can intercept an incoming aerial threat 2,000 kms away under the Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) System and is now working on the second phase.

Under the second phase, missiles are being designed and developed in a manner that would enable them to shoot down any incoming missile at a distance of 5,000 kms, DRDO chief V K Saraswat said here.

India developing interceptor missile with 5,000 km range - Times Of India

Is It possible for India???
are their any similar systems, Does even S-400 has that Range!!!
sorry hope not a repost...

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This is like "wet-dream".

Its good thing to aim high...even if they end up making missile that has half the distance i'll be pleased.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
TOI is a joke,...they are all smoking weeds these days.... these article is also quite old

India is not developing an interceptor missile that has a range of 5000km itself... but India is developing a interceptor missile that will intercept incoming ballistic missile which has range of 5000 km.

it is not possible to have interceptor missile of 5000km range itself. the tracking radar cannot scan target that is 5000 km away :)

TOI has no idea what they are publishing. last time they called russian mil-24 helis as AH-64 apaches.. lmao.

:)

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
This is from 2008 when VK Saraswat was Project Director, Air Defence Wing, DRDO.

"Currently, we have capabilities to defend ourselves from 2500 km range ballistic missiles. But suppose missiles are launched by our immediate neigbours from their rear formations, they will be using long-range missiles -- Intermediate Range Ballistic Missiles and Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles.
The Hindu News Update Service

It seems he is talking about the range of incoming missiles rather than that of the interceptor.

Of course, I don't know about the technical part (like the difference between intercepting a missile with 2.5K range and 5K range); I am only commenting on the "language" and "misinterpretation."

Likely scenario:
VKS: "We are developing a missile to intercept missiles with 5K range."
ToI: "We are developing an interceptor missile with 5K range."

From Darklord [MP.net]

bhramos

Country flag
TOI is a joke,...they are all smoking weeds these days.... these article is also quite old

India is not developing an interceptor missile that has a range of 5000km itself... but India is developing a interceptor missile that will intercept incoming ballistic missile which has range of 5000 km.

it is not possible to have interceptor missile of 5000km range itself. the tracking radar cannot scan target that is 5000 km away :)

TOI has no idea what they are publishing. last time they called russian mil-24 helis as AH-64 apaches.. lmao.

:)
This could be the part of Indo-US Missile shield deploying in India to save US bases from Iran and NK, and could be part of US encircling the Russia with Defence shield and Countering the China....

Last edited:

plugwater

This is the part of Indo-US Missile shield deploying in India to save US bases from Iran and NK, and could be part of US encircling the Russia with Defence shield and Countering the China....
WHAT ??????????????

The article is bullsh!t.

bhramos

Country flag
WHAT ??????????????

The article is bullsh!t.
This is just my speculation, its not true, i think India does not have capability to build an 1000km interceptor missile, but when India claimed to build 5000km, i think without any support from any nation, India would never make such a tall claim,

plugwater

This is just my speculation, its not true, i think India does not have capability to build an 1000km interceptor missile, but when India claimed to build 5000km, i think without any support from any nation, India would never make such a tall claim,
FYI we are not building any interceptors with that range, Noone has ever claimed other than that retarded author of that article.

This has already been discussed in ABM thread.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
let me put it in a better way,

interceptor missile is totally dependent on ground based tracking radars. currently there is no radar in the world that can scan as far as 1000km. so developing an interceptor missile of a range 5000km is totally impossible. we need new level of physics to develop such interceptors.

if TOI article is true, then

Interceptor missile fired from delhi will intercept and kill a target that is hovering over harbin city - northern most city of china.

do you think this is possible :D

SHASH2K2

interceptor missile is totally dependent on ground based tracking radars. currently there is no radar in the world that can scan as far as 1000km. so developing an interceptor missile of a range 5000km is totally impossible. we need new level of physics to develop such interceptors.
India is creating Rajendra radar which will have 1500 kms range . Xband radar of USA can track upto 4000 kms so can pill box radar of Russia.
This article is not written properly . What author should have mentioned is that India can track and destroy missile which has 5000kms range . It means missiles which are launched from distance of 5000 kms .

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
ok :D i take my words back on radar range :D

but again, that was not my point.

what i am trying to explain is; it is practically impossible to develop a interceptor missile that has a range of 5000km itself... but you(india) can develop an interceptor missile that can intercept incoming ballistic missile that has a range of 5000km

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
India can track and destroy missile which has 5000kms range . It means missiles which are launched from distance of 5000 kms .
that's excatly what i am trying to explain to the brahmos guy :)

bhramos

Country flag
that's excatly what i am trying to explain to the brahmos guy :)
well i'm not an expert, i already stated India does not have a missile to intercept 1K, how can it build 5K missile,
what i was trying to explain is about if the News article was true!!!
its just my speculation and not true...

bhramos

Country flag
a comment of this article from other forum.
well even me I am not so skeptical when ever India try to develop something, people start commenting they have no prior experience in this and that.
Yes agreed, Indian didn't have any prior knowledge about anything it seem, Yet they develop their own Space program with off course with other help.
Their LCA and HAL LCH, Dhruv what prior knowledge they have other than assembling from knock down kits.
They develop the PAD/AAD only radar from Israel and later modified it to suit their need and made a very successful with no prior knowledge only bought S-300, well how did they do it; the land of the snake charmer and inventor of "zero" , i guess one should stop stereotyping and perhaps they might just able to do it. perhaps not the best in the world but maybe just to suit their need.

plugwater

India is creating Rajendra radar which will have 1500 kms range . Xband radar of USA can track upto 4000 kms so can pill box radar of Russia.
This article is not written properly . What author should have mentioned is that India can track and destroy missile which has 5000kms range . It means missiles which are launched from distance of 5000 kms .
Its swordfish not rajendra radar.
India cant track missile launched 5000km range missile now for that we need a new LRTR.

Last edited:

pack leader

Professional
green pine and his successor super-green pine ( part of arrow 3 development )
is perfectly capable of tracking any ballistic missile
the only problem is rang GP has 800 km rang SGP has 1500 km range
SGP is still undergoing testing in Elta
by the time GP tracks ICBM it will be in terminal phase and completely unstoppable
GP good is for scud and shiab attack air defense , but not for tracking Chinese ICBM

pack leader

Professional
swordfish is GP with some mild Indian contribution
so stupid generals can claim it's indigenous to make stupid journalists happy/
in Hebrew the name is אורן אדיר which translates as great pine

Last edited:

plugwater

green pine and his successor super-green pine ( part of arrow 3 development )
is perfectly capable of tracking any ballistic missile
the only problem is rang GP has 800 km rang SGP has 1500 km range
SGP is still undergoing testing in Elta
by the time GP tracks ICBM it will be in terminal phase and completely unstoppable
GP good is for scud and shiab attack air defense , but not for tracking Chinese ICBM
swordfish is GP with some mild Indian contribution
so stupid generals can claim it's indigenous to make stupid journalists happy/
in Hebrew the name is אורן אדיר which translates as great pine
Green pine radar 's detection range is 500 km and super green pine has 900 km range.
No interceptors from India and Israel can intercept a missile in midcourse phase, All are designed to intercept in terminal phase.
So far noone has the capability to intercept an ICBM.
No generals from India has claimed swordfish is indigenous. Its a known fact that swordfish is a derivative of greenpine.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Green pine radar 's detection range is 500 km and super green pine has 900 km range.
No interceptors from India and Israel can intercept a missile in midcourse phase, All are designed to intercept in terminal phase.
So far noone has the capability to intercept an ICBM.
No generals from India has claimed swordfish is indigenous. Its a known fact that swordfish is a derivative of greenpine.
I think we lag in processor technology area and countries who have no trade embargo from the west can get these technologies easily. However other Transmit Receive modules, signal processing, computers and power supplies in the Radar are Indian and are more rugged.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles