I have been for a couple of years been interested in our defence spending, which seems to be increasing at an average of more than 10 Percent every year. On the other hand i kept hearing about the delayed project. So i thought why donâ€™t i do an analysis of the defence procurement starting from year 2000 onwards. So it looks like we have spent about 452.78 billion USD so far. Idea was to check if sum of money spent on big ticket items comes close to this amount. I have taken 70% as wage cost and operational cost for defence personnel and equipment. That leaves 30% for buying new defence items i.e 135.83 billion USD. R&D cost is kept at 2% of total budget. Data has been collated based on the following criteria. 1. Procurements done after year 2000 2. Incase of doubt the production of the item should have started after 2000 3. Numbers bought or available is taken primarily from wikipedia 4. Contract amount or item cost has been taken from wikipedia or IHS janeâ€™s 5. Items whose numbers are in doubt like missiles have not been counted. 6. Future procurement deals are yet to be counted, assuming companies will be paid after delivery of item. 7. I have not counted new ITBP battalions on china border. 8. Equipment inducted after year 2000. For ex: All Arjun tanks&Sukhoi have been counted based on unit price, BMP2 up gradation has been counted, BMP 2 purchase could not be counted. Year on Year India Defence Budget Years -Defence budget (in USD Billions) 2000 -21.7 2001 -22.5 2002 -22.4 2003 -22.9 2004 -26.6 2005 -28.1 2006 -28.3 2007 -28.7 2008 -32.1 2009 -35.8 2010 -34.81 2011 -34.19 2012 -38.68 2013 -37 2014 -39 Total -452.78 List of all Major defence procurements i could gather by name and amount in USD(BILLIONS) TOTAL PROCUREMENT BUDGET -135.834 Vikramaditya -2.350 INS CHAKRA -0.200 INS ARIHANT -2.900 INS ARIHANT -0.156 INS Jalashwa -0.500 INS KOLATA -3.000 SHIVALIK CLASS DESTROYERS -1.200 TALWAR CLASS -1.600 INS Kamorta -0.500 INS SARYU CLASS -0.200 INS CAR NICOBAR CLASS -0.083 INS DEEPAK -17.940 INS MAKAR -13.300 sukhoi -37.636 TEJAS DEVELOPMENT COST -1.300 C-17 -5.800 C-130J -1.500 Beriev A-50 AWECS -1.500 EMB-145 AWECS -0.385 BAE HAWK -1.825 Pilatus PC-7 -1.000 MI-17 -1.300 HAL DHRUV -0.742 MIG-29K -1.500 BOEING P8 -1.500 DORNIER DO 228 -0.266 IAI HAROP -0.100 IAI HERON -0.500 DRDO LAKSHYA -0.019 DRDO NISHANT -0.053 IAI SEARCHER -0.750 ARJUN TANK -0.719 T-90S -2.030 BMP-2 SARATH UPGRADE -1.200 R&D -9.056 SUM TOTAL EXPENSE -114.610 So the rough total i am getting is 114.6096 billion USD. That leaves roughly 21.224 billion USD. So Guys feel free to check and add items if i have missed something. Objective is to bring down the remaining 21 billions as much down as possible. Remember to ensure that you are not double count any of the items already existing or mentioned by other members. In conclusion i must say we have spent a lot of money on big ticket items last decade, and now based on the news reports this decade hopefully spending will be increased on foot soldier related equipment like new carbine etc. Cheers.