India decides against reactivating Chushul airfield

Country flag
India decides against reactivating Chushul airfield, IBN Live News

New Delhi, Jul 24 (PTI) India has shelved plans to reactivate the Chushul airfield in Ladakh close to the Line of Actual Control, apprehending Chinese objections.The Indian Air Force, however, is going to revive several other Advanced Landing Grounds (ALGs) in a phased manner as part of its efforts to beef up capabilities along the boundary with China, IAF sources told PTI here. "In China's version of the border and our version of the border, there is a clash on Chushul. The government did not want us make any move there. So, we are not working on such controversial projects," they said.Located close to the LAC with China at a height of over 13,000 feet, the Chushul Valley in Ladakh has an airstrip, which was a key platform during the Sino-Indian War in 1962 but has not been in use since then.It was part of IAF's original plans to develop ALGs along the India-China border as part of its efforts to strengthen the defence in these areas and support Army operations in the rugged terrain. The IAF has already developed a number of ALGs in the northeast and the Ladakh sector, including Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO), Fuk Che and Nyoma for aircraft operations.Sources said a number of new ALGs would be opened by the IAF in the coming years in these areas and many of them would be upgraded for heavier aircraft operations."Such ALGs will help support our forward area policy.With helipads, say we can support only 200 troops there but with a runway, we can land supplies for over a thousand troops there," a source said.

Blackwater

Sorry to see India stand not to re-activate Chushul airfield under Chinese pressure where as china doing all sort of development close to LAC and POK. sad day for me

Country flag
Sorry to see India stand not to re-activate Chushul airfield under Chinese pressure where as china doing all sort of development close to LAC and POK. sad day for me
It can be activated when we choose, it is better to use this as leverage against the Chinese. Why place assets their when the may not be used and left vulnerable??

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
What bothers me is not the GOI backing off, but the reason why they backed off.
But to some extent I agree that this ALG alone may not have been absolutely essential for near future. We already have 3 ALGs there and should open more in future based on the requirements and threat perception.

By the way, do we have an ALG at/near Tawang? If we don't, is it required to have one?

Regards,
Virendra

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It can be activated when we choose, it is better to use this as leverage against the Chinese. Why place assets their when the may not be used and left vulnerable??
The article doesn't say so, The airfield will remain inactive and in war if happens, that airfield will be in use by enemy..

Its close to LAC which is hardly known...

Country flag
The article doesn't say so, The airfield will remain inactive and in war if happens, that airfield will be in use by enemy..

Its close to LAC which is hardly known...
There must be more to this story then what we read it might just have been put out (falsely) to appease the Chinese?? And timing is also suspicious after Hillary Clinton visit?

agentperry

with the present force level its not viable to open an ALG and then make unwarranted landings. we dont have that many aircraft or protection to cover all of the chinese-claimed territory. until unless we have surplus or at least that much no of aircraft which can deploy or make them land out of no use until then it will be just waste of resources and useless escalation and provocation.

Country flag
With the C-17's arriving soon we don't need great ALG's. We don't have to open the airfield but we should have a skeleton crew along with SAM's and radar or even the future indigenous AWAC placed there.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Chinese don't give a shit to Indian concerns and even after a marathon joint session with Indian authorities they have the nerve to issue stapled cisas to AP karatekas and this govt, this spineless govt, decides to shelve the project "apprehending Chinese concerns" :doh:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
What madness is this!!!??? Are our leaders worried about CCP more or us more? How does this step have ANY justification?? Especially after what happened to herders in Ladakh? :doh: :mad2:

KS

Bye bye DFI
What madness is this!!!??? Are our leaders worried about CCP more or us more? How does this step have ANY justification?? Especially after what happened to herders in Ladakh? :doh: :mad2:
Geopolitics.

If you dont appease them they will come to Sri Lanka...booo...

Oracle

In one of the threads I talked about how China could be using NE terrorists as spies and in a week's time a mainstream newspaper from the NE reported that China is actually doing it. Using NE terrorists as listening posts to snoop into IA formations and posts etc.

If I can guess that, why cannot the GoI with everything at their disposal do anything about it?

Wrong guys at the right places!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Geopolitics.

If you dont appease them they will come to Sri Lanka...booo...

May be there is probably some consecion the Chinese also made against this gesture, none of us know what talks took place between MoD and China for them to close the base! All of us here are merely talking out of the hat if we dont go deeply into the reasons, does anyone know which are the Chinese forward positions that are similar to Chushul?

They dont seem to have any bases in the area.

May be they dont want us to militraise the area to much and i would agree to that.

arya

Country flag
Chinese don't give a shit to Indian concerns and even after a marathon joint session with Indian authorities they have the nerve to issue stapled cisas to AP karatekas and this govt, this spineless govt, decides to shelve the project "apprehending Chinese concerns" :doh:
its not concerns its fear

govt know they cant stand up against china and the same message is going in our force

how will our force will fight while govt act like a looser , dont you think at war time Chinese will use these airfield against us

KS

Bye bye DFI
@godless-kafir..

chill. I was just poking some sinhala defenders in a light hearted way.

arya

Country flag
In one of the threads I talked about how China could be using NE terrorists as spies and in a week's time a mainstream newspaper from the NE reported that China is actually doing it. Using NE terrorists as listening posts to snoop into IA formations and posts etc.

If I can guess that, why cannot the GoI with everything at their disposal do anything about it?

the right place

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
With the C-17's arriving soon we don't need great ALG's. We don't have to open the airfield but we should have a skeleton crew along with SAM's and radar or even the future indigenous AWAC placed there.
Logestic is not the issue but the presence of airfield over the battlefield does make a lot difference in Enemy strategy, A airfield not only support logestic but CAS and CAP missions along with SAM Field and Infantry and Armour..

Chinese don't give a shit to Indian concerns :
Obvious is Obvious, Chinese are simple clearing a path for PLA future advance into India via military, diplomatic and others..

They are using them against us, the weapons are from Chinese like grenades and AKs..

does anyone know which are the Chinese forward positions that are similar to Chushul?

They dont seem to have any bases in the area.

May be they dont want us to militraise the area to much and i would agree to that.
Where u got that stuff man, the media is illiterate, no one research than just talk to retired officers..

My work !

And Btw, Defense minister himself conform positive abt my work.. :D

arya

Country flag
@kunal

if i give you power ans to take 10 steps then what will be 10 steps you will take for nation safety

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^I don't understand why we have any IAF bases exceeding the number of three at all in south India. I don't mean to be regionalist (as those who know me would know :)) but Navy including the air arm is very very strong in south India and more than capable of protecting peninsular India.

We need to make more air bases in eastern command where we could land C-17 laden troops in case of warfare. And I doubt there are any cruise missile silos pointed towards PLA which will also come only when the rude shock of a conflict comes on the face...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles