India Could Have Saved The Sino-Indian War of 1962 and lives of its Soldiers Too!

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
The weapon is one factor in the war, but not the decisive one, at the year of 1962, less than 10 years of the Korean war, the PLA foght against USA in Korea, a much bloody 3years war, pushed UN army back from China border to the 38 line, the North Korea saved and exite untill now, so I can tell you that it's not the weapon which failed the Indian Amy. In 1962, the Chinese army was at far better position for fighting skill and spirits.
There's no such thumb rule as to which factor is decisive and which isn't. Any xyz factor can become decisive in a war depending upon the conditions of the war and the sides involved. In 62 the weapons (rather their lack) became a decisive factor. Chinese may not have had the most lethal weaponry of the planet then. But that isn't relavant to our point.
What we're saying is that our weapons were nearly absent at half the places and were inferior/equal at the rest. So yours not being the best of the days doesn't matter that much.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What we're saying is that our weapons were nearly absent at half the places and were inferior/equal at the rest. So yours not being the best of the days doesn't matter that much.

Regards,
Virendra

PLA using SKS and AK ( Chinese ) Automatic with Machine-gun like PTRD & Attacking in Human waves..

Indian using Bolt action 303, With 30rnd Machine-gun like Bren & Defending in small pill boxes..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Was this photo taken in 1962? What rifle were in the hands of PLA? By the year of 1962, China do not have AK 47

The Chinese attacked a third time from three directions and at this time Major Chaudhary asked the unit to withdraw. By that time the Chinese were on Major Chaudhary's position, hand-to-hand combat was in process. Somehow he withdrew what was left of his two platoons. Sepoy Kanshi Ram brought back a AK-47 snatched from a Chinese soldier. The withdrawal was made possible by the gallantry of Naik Chain Singh.
Bharat Rakshak :: Land Forces Site - Battle of Namka Chu, 10 October 1962

DMF

But China defeat India not by human vawes, the total Chinese amy in action were 40,000 soldiers, and the geography situation not allowed human vawe style attacks. The tactic used at that time was to send small groups to penetrate to the back of the enemy and surround them. When enemy run back, we run faster and stop them, at the year of 1962, the quality of the China officers and soldiers were far better than the Indian counterpart, this is reason for the outcome of the war

DMF

India got lot of gifts of weapons from the USA and UK, but unfortunately not got the chance to use them before lost to the Chinese army, the above photo shows that the PLA were arranging to return the captured weapons to India

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
India got lot of gifts of weapons from the USA and UK, but unfortunately not got the chance to use them before lost to the Chinese army, the above photo shows that the PLA were arranging to return the captured weapons to India
The photos you posted are not visible

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
From 1965 On ward IA was using FAL at Indo-China border..

The pic posted by ably show IA using 303..

This conforms it was 1962..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How easy for you to say this, so simple na? Ya indeed it is, what are you losing in saying this, NOTHING.

Just go and ask those wives what they have lost during 1962. Go ask those those children what they have lost. Go ask those parents what they have lost. ASK EACH AND EVERY INDIAN WHAT THEY LOST DURING 1962. They lost their honor. Nehru should have been buried then and there only.

OUR SOLDIERS LOST THEIR LIVES WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED. Your "LOSS" contain a hell lot of things which you yourself wouldnt understand.

Today you smoke like this(your avatar) because we have our soldiers protecting us. RESPECT THEIR LIFE AT LEAST IF YOU ARE AN INDIAN OR I DONT KNOW WHAT, I JUST SIMPLY DONT CARE. I know what I have to do.
What's wrong with you??

Stop being emotional. And refrain from addressing me personally. I'll not tolerate it.

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
that krishna Menon had warned Nehru well in advance , more than a year in advance is well know - in fact the prc had been asking for a border meeting throughout the 1950's and they had suggested, Zhou Enlai had suggested a sharing of the disputed territories as according to the eventual outcome of post 1962 was - ie Enlai had suggested china be given the aksai chin area in exchange for india being allowed to hold on to the Arunachal territory.... if Nehru had accepted , there would not have been a war .

understandably Nehrudid not accept those repeated offers and played well by repeatedly delaying that meeting .... but he did not heed the repeated warnings given to him by both Menon and his Military chiefs and continued to somehow believe in the fairy tale that despite repeated requests and later demands by prc , that somehow prc would not use military for becuase hindi-chini were such good bhai-bhai.

well nehru the dreamer was then taken in for his shock - which was no shock to the others such as Menon and the military chiefs.

some have said the the 3 year time frame the menon had warned in advance was insufficient time to prepare , if so how then did india 3 years after 1962 succesfully defend against not only pakistan but also a concerted attack by china on the eastern front ?

im sure that if Nehru had taken Menon more seriously and not gone into the dreamer mode a lot could have been done to repulse the china attack !

i feel sorry for Nehru besides all the jawans who unnecessarily lost their lives - in deed it could be said that Nehru was himself a victim of that war , i believe his health deteriorated as a result of that war and i personally believe he died as a result of that defeat....... a psychological shock turned into a psychosomatic death ....sorry for a man who was too much of a gentleman

it cant be ever allowed to happen again ..... so much for those who continue to drean that prc-dragon -china can ever be a friend

Last edited:

visso

another mob-robbory, of our power to express ourself.excepting agree with your idea.Ahh, ok? alas, the indians are still unwilling to go out of self-cheating. the world had seen even in 1962, the indian army was not a match for the chinese.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
@ DMF this photo was taken in 1962 war.This image was image was printed on an independence day special india today issue some years back.The image below will prove this was PLA during the 1962.

Last edited:

charlyondfi

Somehow Roma had an excellent briefing of what I learned from the Maxwell book -- except that the "Forward Policy" did carry out after Enlai visit to India at 1960. A two-years (1960~62) policy carrying out indicates an at-minimum-orchestered move, by either government or military top management (some?). In this case, definitely not only Nehru but other GOI top leaders share the responsibility. Guess that always happen: with top boss ask not to turn left, you got every incentive to turn right!!

As for weapon, if you are not damn sure you can kill the lion, pedding on it will simply kill you. Ak-47 in PLA or not, IA is by no means ready. So let's skip that argument.
-- CIA paper observed that Ak-47 in China at 1965 http://www.foia.cia.gov/browse_docs.asp?doc_no=0000381439

Last edited:

Sikh_warrior

Professional
the current condition of indian military is similar to what it was in 1962.....

ruled and controlled by Babus and Politicians...
lack of understanding between the forces n masters
delays and delays of new hardware coming in
preparedness of all three wings of the indian forces

sorry state of affairs....

captonjohn

Country flag
Wikipedia is not always a reliable source of information. Truth is that India was unprepared militarily & politically, so suffered a loss.
Agree at some extent but you can not deny the fact that Nehru's saint type peaceful philosophy due to which he didn't considered such plan to avoid war. He refused army chief's plan just to avoid the war and he couldn't because Nehru forgot the biggest lesson from History that is "The best way to avoid a war is to be fully prepared for it". He wasn't prepared and didn't let IA prepare. It's his fault and that's why he deserve to have tears in his eyes.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Unfortunately after India became a British colony, for 150 years there was no room for development of Indian strategic thought. The empires of old had crumbled, and thinkers like Chanakya were forgotten. When India became independent, the new political elite were devoid of strategic vision, their only claim to power being that they had participated in "non-violent", peaceful demonstrations and strikes to achieve their aim. They were thoroughly unequipped to rule a country, and plan the development of its military industrial complex.

The situation continues today, as FM Sam Manekshaw said once, "I wonder whether those of our political masters who have been put in charge of the defence of the country can distinguish a mortar from a motor; a gun from a howitzer; a guerrilla from a gorilla, although a great many resemble the latter."

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
History always repeat itself coz we never learned the history well..

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Somehow Roma had an excellent briefing of what I learned from the Maxwell book -- except that the "Forward Policy" did carry out after Enlai visit to India at 1960. A two-years (1960~62) policy carrying out indicates an at-minimum-orchestered move, by either government or military top management (some?). In this case, definitely not only Nehru but other GOI top leaders share the responsibility. Guess that always happen: with top boss ask not to turn left, you got every incentive to turn right!!

As for weapon, if you are not damn sure you can kill the lion, pedding on it will simply kill you. Ak-47 in PLA or not, IA is by no means ready. So let's skip that argument.
-- CIA paper observed that Ak-47 in China at 1965 CIA FOIA Document Page Viewer

you mentioned my name - so i guess i'll reply although im not sure

i have met numerous english ladies tavelling on their way " to teach english in taiwan " - and from your post - it sounds as if that great money -making opportunity ( for them ) is by no means over ?

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles