India buying back onions from Pakistan after exporting tonnes Read more: India buyin

Vikramaditya

Country flag
CHANDIGARH/PUNE: After exporting onions to Pakistan, India is now buying some back.

Traders are importing onions from across the border to take advantage of the vegetable's soaring prices in the domestic market. Onion prices have more than doubled over the past few days and crossed Rs 75 a kg in some wholesale markets.

On Monday, the government suspended export of the vegetable until January 15 to cool the prices. The decision was taken at an emergency meeting of the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation (Nafed) in Delhi.

The ban came as 12 trucks loaded with onions arrived at the Attari-Wagah border. This was the first import of the vegetable via the land route in 12 years. One truck carries 10-15 tonnes of goods. Some traders put the cost of landed onion at Rs 18-20 per kg.

India had exported thousands of tonnes of onion to Pakistan earlier this year when the country was trying to recover from catastrophic floods. But the country is now facing a severe crunch of the vegetable as unseasonal rains have destroyed the crop in Maharashtra and Gujarat.

"Foreseeing a poor crop in the country and current high prices, we are importing onion from Pakistan through the land route," said Amritsar-based trader Rajdeep Uppal, who has signed contracts to import over 500 tonnes.

The vegetable is priced between Rs 30 and Rs 35 a kg in most wholesale markets in Maharashtra.

Onion is selling for Rs 45-50 a kg in Delhi. But in some markets, such as Sangli in Maharashtra, the vegetable touched Rs 75 a kg on Monday. It was priced at Rs 10 a kg in wholesale trade around this time last year.

"The quantity of onions coming from Bijapur in Karnataka has reduced significantly and this is reflecting in prices," said Tanaji Patil, auction chief at Sangli Agricultural Produce Market Committee.

A trader at Azadpur Mandi in Delhi, Asia's largest fruit and vegetable wholesale market, said onion prices would continue to firm up until February.

"Prices will fall when new crop from Pune belt starts," said Naraan Das of Hemant Trading Company. Some traders, however, said the prices could come down sooner if the government withdraws the 7% import duty on onions.

LINK

Guys I need debate on this,sharad pawar is not doing this first time...:angry_10:

bharadwaj

^^^^^^^^^^^^This is what happens when a 70 year old grandpa tries to multitask!ICC has lost its credibility and here the middle class have to think twice before buying VEGETABLES:angry_10::angry_6:

gogbot

No doubt more Crop is lost in processing.
When Will GOI realize it need's to fix this situation.

Asking for another gree revolution is not good enough.

Upgrade the Food processing infrastructure , introduce the new hybrid breed's into the market.

Our Agricultural sector can be improved so much through such simple measures.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Its more to do with food mafia and its maharashtrian head.....maha is one of the major sugarcane and onion producers, we can understand who benefited from exports and same ppl r benefiting from imports.

We have criminals in our govt., I remember how Mr. pawar refused to feed the Hungry and instead allowed all the food grains to ROT in the rain!!.....This what GOI has become, a play ground for criminals, refusing food to the Hungry is a crime, when you have god-down full of food grains rotting!!

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
As Gogbot as mentioned...its our poor distribution and processing system that is behind all problem not export. If you do not export the cultivators will suffer as they do not get fair price. Take it from me......next season onions will be dirt cheap and the farmers will be in tears (like we are this season while buying).............Simply because more and more farmers will shift to onions seeing high price this season which will lead to surplus and collapse in price....it always happens in India....

sob

Mod
Country flag
The whole problem lies with the Ministry of Agriculture. These babus are just sitting on their fat buts and are not interested in collecting the reports of the real situation on the ground. Now they are blaming the rains in November, the point is the rains were in Nov and today we are in December end. If they knew about the crop damage due to rains why were the export permits for onions being released in such large numbers. This is the season of scams another one to be added to the long list. Mera Bharat mahaan, uspe uske neta log aur be mahaan

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The rains are unexpected and the quantum of it. This does not happen all the time does it. In karnataka the rains have been heavy and washed away a lot of crops. Not only onions but other vegetables too.
Garlic is at 350/kg
Potatoes at 40/kg
all greens are selling at a very high price here in bangalore.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Oh man.. there goes a lot of recipes off the kitchen this winter. Is there any chance of importing from southeast? You might think I am obsessed with that region but I was looking at an article the other day about Arab countries attempting to buy agrarian lands in poor southeast countries. However since we have taken the first step to approach them strategically, I think there is a solid chance if we can actually import their onions real cheap apart from buying back from Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Wonder what the GOI is upto??

Oracle

I bought 1/2kg onions for INR 30 yesterday. Half kg feeds me for like 10 days. But INR 30 for 1/2 kg of onions is day robbery.
I would also like to add that in that 1/2 kg I am sure I will find 3-4 rotten ones, as already I got one rotten onion yesterday. So, quality is also bad.

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The problem is neither in exports nor in agricultural lands. The problem lies in the management of supply systems and using of decades old archaic agricultural practices without any increase in yield while there is increased per capita consumption of food due to increase in incomes and also due to explosive population growth. So, we need to fix the supply side issue by employing modern agricultural practices to increase the yield per acre as well as effective distribution system of the produce by employing cold-storage facilities and effective transport system. If we don't fix these two problems then no matter what govt. does there is no hope in curbing the inflation.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think onions are much cheaper in western countries than in India. Right now I get 2Kgs of onion for 1 Euro (Rs 60) in Europe.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I am more interested in exporting. I never knew even onions were exported. Yusuf Agri Exports. onions, tomatoes, garlic, tamarind, and anything else that's exported.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yusuf,

Import Saudi dates, closer to Ramzan. Sells like hot cakes in Hyderabad.

Indian Basmati is a hot export item in SE Asia.

In fact, agriculture products does well.

Think of starting a farm for all these western herbs and strawberries. The Delhi chaps go crazy over them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf,

Import Saudi dates, closer to Ramzan. Sells like hot cakes in Hyderabad.

Indian Basmati is a hot export item in SE Asia.

In fact, agriculture products does well.

Think of starting a farm for all these western herbs and strawberries. The Delhi chaps go crazy over them.
Yes rice for sure is a hot cake item as we call it. But we need the right sources. I think we could make more money in the west.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
As far as onions are concerned, apparently Sharad Pawar did not know his onions.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles