India begins poverty alleviation project in China

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by A.V., Jun 21, 2009.

1. A.V.

A.V. New Member

BEIJING: India has finally step into actual funding of a poverty alleviation project in China, an area that usually attracts funds from western

Mrs Nirupama Rao at the ceremony held in Liangtian township near the NHAR capital city of Yinchuan. (Photo: Embassy of India in Beijing)
    More Pictures
    countries keen on understanding the grassroots situation in this giant country and establishing contacts with Chinese leaders in the provinces. It is a farmers’ training and information centre established in the relatively backward province of Ningxia.

The first-ever India funded project, which is really a diplomatic initiative to connect with a provincial government, was inaugurated by Nirupama Rao, Indian ambassador in China, and Wang Zhengwei, chairman of the Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, in Liangtian township on Saturday. The NHAR is jointly funding the project with the Indian government.

Another initiative involved funding an Indian style Buddhist temple close to the historic While Horse temple in Luoyang in Henan province. But this is the first opportunity for both Chinese and Indian officials to share experiences on poverty eradication.
    Rao said as much at the opening ceremony when she highlighted the similarity of developmental imperatives in India and China. She called for greater understanding and awareness about each other at the frontline of developmental activities.

The opening ceremony was attended Li Rui, vice chairman of the NHAR People’s Government and its secretary-general Zuo Jun besides representatives from the municipal government of the provincial capital of Yinchuan and hundreds of local people, an press release from the Indian embassy said.

The centre will provide farmer with access to information about latest farming techniques, cropping and marketing trends besides impacting training on technical and managerial techniques. Farmers have been made available 15 computer terminals for this purpose. India will also provide support from agriculture scientists and experts at the centre.

The centre will be used by members of the Liangtian Vegetable Growers' Association and other local residents. The association is a community-based initiative involved in relocating people trapped in geographically hostile areas to them to more hospitable climes in the north besides facilitating their access to improved varieties of seeds technology and credit.

The Association has nearly 100 households as core members, benefiting another over 900 households. It has helped more than double the farmers’ average income since 2003, when the project was launched, the press release said

India begins poverty alleviation project in China - China - World - The Times of India

3. badguy2000

badguy2000 Respected Member Senior Member

wecome to china...fund from India!

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

It's not just funds but techiques as well. I'm sure the whole of China is not as well informed as you are in all fields. So they wouldn't mind sharing best practices. India with a third of the landmass as China, but roughly same population had a food surplus. So there is something that the Chinese might be interested in.

5. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Only 15% or so land mass of China is arable especially towards the eastern part.

6. ZOOM

ZOOM Founding Member

Huh!

Really interesting news indeed. It is very surprizing stuff from India especially in a country which is third largets economy in the world and great regional power. India must use its expertise in overall poverty alleviation in China's backward regions with a good understanding. India also need to do similar effort espcially in its neibourhood which are some of the most backward and dangerous places on earth because of consistent violence and vandalism.

7. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

Instead of China they could've done it in the neighbouring countries who actually need it first. At least neighbouring countries don't keep on backstabbing us on the international level.

8. Daredevil

If you ask me, we should first do it to ourselves. I don't understand why a third world poor country like India has to spend money in a proclaimed super-power of coming ages like China, unless there is more to it than what meets the eye.

9. badguy2000

That is purely because one chinese consumes much more food than one Indian does

as we all know ,higher life quality always means more consumption of food.

In fact, China produce almost twice food of India's while its arable land is much less than India's.

the productivity of arable land in CHina is much higher than India's./

10. badguy2000

anyhow, any friendly token should be accepted.

it is not polite to reject other's kindness.

11. Daredevil

I don't care if China rejects or accepts this kindness. My problem is that, why India, a poor country with its own poverty should invest money in a uber-rich country like china. Isn't it waste of money??, unless we get something in return.

12. badguy2000

well, that is one token of kindness.

Even USA accept aid from others.

as a developing country ,China also sent lots of aid to other countries,including developed countries in needs.

13. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Dayam! What a way to slap some reality in!

China, the soupaa paoowa, where the roses are red and the violets blue, where everything from dogs to cats and yes even horse penises are eaten (perhaps accounting for their "much larger" food consumption) reduced to accepting aid and poverty alleviation strategies from its nearest strategic rival and border disputant.

On a more serious note, these "acts of kindness" are unwarranted (although they are droll) since we have our own house to "set in order" first- unless they involve some sort of covert grassroots intelligence gathering via NGO's operating at the centre.

14. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

While that may be so, it is also true that China's land area is larger (~2.9 times) that of India and that non-arable land can relatively easily be converted into arable land through techniques such as terra preta, hack-and-burn, etc.

It is also true that 'terrainal' and topographical anomalies as well as climate conditions are not the only reason for China's arable land deficiencies. China owes a large part of that to its turbid pollution and urban sprawl, rapid desertification and erosion due to human activities, and significant wick of calcium-magnesium-sodium nutrients from the soil - particularly along urban embankments. Given China's mitigating deficiencies in that field (pun not intended) it ought to have developed better strategies for dealing with its arable land inadequacies. As a study on land reclamation for agriculture in the four northern provinces discovered, "the increase of arable land was mainly low quality fields from barren land and was highly susceptible to disertification and water-induced soil erosion. In the meantime, large area of grassland and forestland was lost or degraded, and original fertile arable land was occupied for residential and industrial use. As a result the environment deteriorated. This change was mainly caused by economic development, population growth, inferior natural conditions, and irrational management strategies".

15. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

I don't understand what motivation is behind this step? Have GoI perceived that India herself is free of poverty? It is ridiculous! i may be flamed by a lots of members here, but i know for a fact that poverty is quite abundant in India. There are still a lots and lots of people who trudges through life with only sheer will and least support from GoI. In rural areas there are people who often is unable to make any money for days. isn't it india where a 100 Days work project is running? Doesn't that mean that there are a large number of people who fail to even get 100 days of work in a year? By which right does GoI squander our money this way with little or no return? Helping poor of a country which is hostile toward you and which has a bigger economy than you is STUPID to say least IMHO.

16. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

the specifics are a little difficult to come by as to why this step was taken as nothing of the sort has been mentioned in the article, but such steps are quite clearly done to enhance a country's diplomatic influence in the other country and probably this decision as well has to be seen in the same light, probably this was done to have a certain level of goodwill with the host country, especially given the fact that a lot of ground work on having a better understanding with prc was done in the last five years of upa regime and may be this is a way of the GoI to tell the ccp that even with the left front out of the frame nothing much has changed on ground.

india each year gives loans and financial aids to whole lot of countries and the bill of that runs into billions of dollar and as far as i can see this might just be an extension of that, may be prc would reciprocate and carry out something on the similar lines in india.

the other reason could possibly be as pointed out by yusuf, where in prc would be trying to understand how india happens to be a food surplus state even when close to some 40% of our agri produce goes as a waste. this in it self is a big achievement for the country.

also we should not get too much bogged down by the argument that this was not required when india faces one of the extreme poverty, by that standards india should not have a defence budget of the size that we have or for that matter, then the whole space program of india is a waste of money, there are always advantages involved and same is the case with the bill of loan/aid that runs into billions of dollars each year that the country gives to others. if people are happy with it, i will put it as a necessary evil, why specifically prc, well for that i have already sighted reasons.

17. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Rage,
    I thank you, mate. You summed up pretty much what I had in my mind. Our chinese poster would have us believe that China is lightyears ahead of India. But reality just slaps on the face. Super power china has to take help from India(Yea, the same 'thirdworld slumdog!) to alleivate poverty(yea, yea, china has poor!).

But what I am really astonished is, why is GOI doing it. Unless we get substantial returns or intelligence about 'sensitive' issues, GOI must stop it. China is a biggest threat to India. It arms and helps our irritant Pakistan. It tries to scuttle loans to our states(AP), why are we doing any help to China?

18. badguy2000

pls don't be so exciting.

nobody here denies the poverty in CHina.

no chinese here boasts that "china is to be a superpower" or " china shining".

Instead, I state again and again that blahs such as "china to be superpower","Chinmerica" and "G2" are just cunning tricks of west guys.

I do know where China stands on the global industy chain.

19. MMuthu

MMuthu Regular Member

Is it the Same bad guy who have posted threads a week ago?

20. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Lets not be surprised by this. Indian PR office mainly works through such programs. There are similar initiatives in Africa, where the Indian govt reaches out to people rather than only deal with the ruling party. Similar to how Indian factories in Africa train and employ the local populace rather than "import" Indians like the Chinese do. This will go a long way in establishing ties with such countries.

Remember the time when LeT was blamed for the Mumbai attacks, some elements in the Hindu minority living in POK(affected by earthquake) supported the JuD saying they have been helping them a lot and blah blah. It comes down to PR.

The Indian govt may have a good reason for planning poverty alleviation programs in China.

21. badguy2000

it seems that i need clarify something here:

china is ahead of india while lag behind developed countries like USA ,Japan and EU.

I do know that china need work hard ,to catch up with the advanced countries.

however, china needn't listen to the blahs like "china to to collapse" or "china to be superpower" from west countires or india.

what china need is to dance with its own rythm.