India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind in

hitesh

Re: India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind i

If india buys at least 1200 -1500 of these trucks they can effectively use 1000 on active duty and rest can be dismantled for spares so that way you won't have spare problem .These although don't have much advantage in full scale war due to following reason -
1.these heavy 4 wheel trucks would easily stuck in rajasthan soft sand
2.in battlefield IED is not a concern but such a height of the truck will give way its position and can be a easy target of enemy retaliation once its position is relieved.
3 they are mostly effective in counter insurgency operation .

India can use they to reverse engineer new models for them self as they did with Southafrican casper MPV

acetophenol

Country flag
the idea is cool , but that does not ensures the safety of our personel . . . Because our men think that they are the Dabbang , even if u give em a TANK , still they will not use it properly . .. .
They do not leave a single chance to show themselves as a hero . . .
Wtf? Either prove whatever you are saying or accept you were blabbering.
Man,Pakistanis have more respect to our men!

pmaitra

all i know american MRAP must be better than desi ones.

if we get those in cheap rates y not
With a barrel sized ammonium-nitrate mine, you can punch a hole through the hull of a M1A1 Abrams.

pmaitra

Ase to football size nuke can wipe off whole city:lol::lol:
Man, you made me laugh. :)

You are right. I think the main benefit is going to be the price. Protection-wise, our domestically made vehicles are no less capable.

Sea Eagle

And what about the transportation cost ? Last time several nations pulled out of buying these citing high transportation costs..

Last edited:

laughingbuddha

Country flag

Doubt its going to come free or cheap. India did not accept when it was offered. Now we are requesting.

Illusive

Country flag

How feasible would it be, they are huge, do we have the infrastructure and roads to support such vehicles, they use a lot of fuel too.

Blackwater

I meant we should not buy second hand equipment for the force which deserves new & reliable equipment
so u r happy if these goes to pakistan???

these MARP are tried and tested in afghanistan. and they r good and reliable.

Blackwater

Man, you made me laugh. :)

You are right. I think the main benefit is going to be the price. Protection-wise, our domestically made vehicles are no less capable.
true,2ndly we dont want these goes to pakistan better buy for immediate need for our CRPF jawans in naxal areas

ladder

Country flag

true,2ndly we dont want these goes to pakistan better buy for immediate need for our CRPF jawans in naxal areas
The rest will go to Pakistan. If you aren't advising to buy all 10000-13000 MRAP designated to be divested, then the number that India will not buy will be given to Pakistan in the name of strategic balance and WoT.

Now, we may end up buying 2000-3000 MRAP but the same amount given to Pakistan for free. in the name of WoT support.

In any case if India doesn't buy, still Pakistan will not get more that 2000-3000 as they don't have the money to support them and run them.

so, by buying these MRAP we aren't stopping from USA from giving them to Pakistan for free but, we are giving then one better reason for transfer, which is strategic balance apart from WoT.

So, your first point is lame.

Coming to your second point, I would like to see the life cycle cost to believe how cheap they would be.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

@p2prada @ghost

Have an Idea..!!

Instead of Buying those MRAP's Shall we use the Same Caspir Based Indian APC's ..I think Both have same Similarities

Before Sending the APC we use Some small UAV's to Scan the area to continue the Travel

So we Need Only small Recon UAV's
The whole issue will be based on which is more expensive - the US offer or the brand new Caspir.

As far as I understand, Caspir is not an APC, even though it is classified as so. It is a landmine-protected armoured vehicle, where the hull is V-shaped, directing the force of the explosion outwards, further protecting the occupants.

That is how it was when it was first inducted in the formation where I was and we were the first to receive them.

[

Armoured personnel carriers as "an armoured combat vehicle which is designed and equipped to transport a combat infantry squad and which, as a rule, is armed with an integral or organic weapon of less than 20 millimeters calibre.

So Shinde has eye on a new scam???

Elections are near and every dramatic defence purchase and penny counts![

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

US MRAP

ladder

Country flag

The following is the protection level of Casspir MPV

21 kg TNT under any wheel and

2X 14 kg TNT under any hull.

http://www.osprea.com/setup/pdf/The_Casspir_Mk_II.pdf

The buffalo MRAP is said to be based on Casspir MPV.

So,

1. I would like to know how the author of the OP article arrived at 150 kg value

2. The article replied to me, to my previous post says 600lb IED blast, how that was arrived at.

===============================

And comparing relative effectiveness of Ammonium Nitrate which is 0.42, we can get a value of how much kg of Ammonium Nitrate the Casspir can handle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_effectiveness_factor

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

And that shows you ' Inferiority complex ' and ' lack of knowledge ' too ..

Firstly my advice dont make up stories ( 150KG IED Resistance ), Home made product outclass these MPV from US ..

all i know american MRAP must be better than desi ones.

if we get those in cheap rates y not

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

@Blackwater, Take this as a formal warning for the last time ..

1. Don't Insult our servicemen ( C-130J crash thread ) ..
2. Give a proper research before making some claim ..

If you are so much confident about some thing non-Indian and that gives you right to go on insulting we Indians, We have a limit to tolerate it to an extend..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Let me put here 'Indian' once >>

OFB 6x6, Ability to resist 21kg IED

Mahindra 6X6, Ability to resist 21kg IED

OFB 4X4, Ability to resist 10-12 kg IED
=====================

OFB 4X4 is most popular as its small and can go most places where a bigger 6x6 cannot ..

DivineHeretic

Country flag

And that shows you ' Inferiority complex ' and ' lack of knowledge ' too ..

Firstly my advice dont make up stories ( 150KG IED Resistance ), Home made product outclass these MPV from US ..
About the resistance to x kg of I.E.Ds (am assuming HE only)

The amount of explosive, or more precisely the amount of explosive force the vehicle can handle depends on the type and shape of the explosive as well.

The shape of the container of the explosive determines the way the explosive energy is released and the intensity of energy (or pressure) the vehicle body is exposed to. A normal barrel filled with explosives will release energy uniformly all around, in a roughly spherical wave.

[/url] images hosting[/IMG]

This is what the MPVs are typically designed to protect against, by redirecting the energy wave away from the vehicle.

However, unless the MPV has the skin of a Tank, it won't survive a 5 kg Shaped charge placed below the hull, no matter how the hull is shaped. This is because the shaped charge uses molted metal and directed pressure wave to punch through the body... And despite what many might think, the shaped charges are fairly easy to build, and equally cheap in ingredients.

[video]http://www.military.com/video/guided-missiles/explosive-warheads/heat-751-warhead-in-slow-motion/937216388001/[/video]

Jagdish58

so u r happy if these goes to pakistan???

these MARP are tried and tested in afghanistan. and they r good and reliable.

hmmmmm this is not the solution , if pak buys used F-16 from jordon should india go for it come on

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles