India applies for SCO full membership

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by Jagdish58, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jagdish58

Jagdish58 Regular Member

India is preparing to join the influential Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) strategic grouping, currently led by China and Russia, just days ahead of the Prime Minister’s September visit to the US where his bonhomie with Moscow has already triggered unease.

The SCO has informed New Delhi that it plans to approve documents making India a full member at a September 11-12 summit in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, senior officials have told The Telegraph.
    Iran, Pakistan and Mongolia will join India as new members of the grouping, now made up of Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.

America views the SCO as a potential post-Cold War counter-balance to Nato, and Beijing and Moscow have accused Washington of trying to split the grouping. Unlike Nato, the SCO has so far not engaged in military action beyond joint exercises.

India and the three other nations on the cusp of joining are currently observer states at the SCO, and China had till now been ambivalent about offering full membership to India despite Russian backing for New Delhi.

However, keen not to alienate the new Indian Prime Minister, China joined the other members to back the expansion move at a meeting of the grouping’s foreign ministers on July 31.

Indian foreign minister Sushma Swaraj is expected to travel to Dushanbe for the September meeting where India’s membership will likely receive a formal stamp of approval.

If the new members’ formal induction is completed at Dushanbe, Modi may travel in December to Astana, Kazakhstan, where the heads of government of all the SCO’s member states will meet, officials said.

“China supports the SCO summit in Dushanbe to complete the legal preparation of the expansion of the SCO members, thus to open up new ways to absorb new members,” a senior Chinese diplomat quoted his country’s foreign minister, Wang Yi, as telling the July 31 meeting.

India has been keen to join the SCO since it first became an observer in 2005. However, tensions within the grouping’s members on the countries to be allowed entry under any expansion had so far prevented the absorption of any new full member.

Over the past two years, as Russia and the US have returned to near-Cold War brinkmanship, both have turned to India as a critical nation whose support could tilt the balance of opinion among the developing countries, which make up most of the world.

The stalemate at the SCO — with China cautious about India’s entry, Russia uncertain about Pakistan’s, and all the members concerned about the implications of fully embracing Iran — suited the US well.

But global fissures have only deepened over the past two years, frequently placing China, Russia and India together against the US — as in Syria and Ukraine, where New Delhi backed Moscow over Washington.

China is also convinced that it has a potential friend in Narendra Modi despite his election speeches critical of Beijing. China had welcomed Modi with open arms three times when he was Gujarat chief minister — at a time Washington treated him as a pariah and refused him a visa.

Chinese President Xi Jinping signalled his intent to pull India closer when he indicated to Modi that Beijing was willing to consider expanding the SCO. This was when the two met on the margins of the BRICS summit in Brazil last month. Xi is expected to visit India in September.

India’s entry into a strategic grouping that will include three nations that America wants to distance from its allies — Russia, China and Iran — will almost certainly upset fence-sitters in the US establishment, already unsure of the fruits of courting India over the past decade.

“New Delhi has given Russia’s aggression in Crimea implicit approval and strongly opposed sanctions on Moscow, calling Moscow’s interests in Crimea legitimate,” Steve Chabot, the Republican chairman of a key foreign affairs panel of the US House of Representatives, told senior members of the Obama administration last month.

The administration officials were deposing before the panel ahead of secretary of state John Kerry’s visit to India for the India-US strategic dialogue last week.

“Can the US trust India to be a reliable partner on significant geopolitical challenges if, for example, we can’t get India’s support on this growing crisis?” Chabot asked.

“And has the Malaysian airliner shoot-down changed India’s attitude at all in this particular area?”

Kerry and the US received the answer to where India would stand on sanctions against Russia during the strategic dialogue when Sushma bluntly said that India’s foreign policy was “not flexible”.

Kerry accepted that he was disappointed but appeared resigned to India’s decision.

“We would obviously welcome India joining in with us with respect to that (the sanctions),” Kerry said. “But it is up to them. It is India’s choice.”

Delhi gears to join China-Russia club | idrw.org

pmaitra likes this.
  3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Thank you. This should be a separate thread, but I will link it to the Ukraine Civil War thread.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

This is an interesting way to build another 'bloc' to offset the US - Europe bloc.

sesha_maruthi27 likes this.
  5. rizwan78

rizwan78 Regular Member

Great decesion great move my India. China, Russia,India, Pakistan should join hands to counter any future NATO aggression

6. Jagdish58

Jagdish58 Regular Member

Are you sure Pakistan & China can work together with India???:rolleyes: Superiority & inferiority complex , border dispute:hail:

And bigger question mark if NATO attack any of the SCO country will all countries of SCO participate militarily in support????

There is lot of infightings in SCO , cannot be compared to NATO

7. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

How will joining the Russia+China overwhelmed SCO be a wise move for India? It may result in reduced leeway for India in interactions with rivalling world powers or blocs like the West and NATO in the disguise of an independent foreign policy in order to maximize its own gains. And India would risk committing to acting in concert with SCO members in certain spheres (to be defined), with whom Indian interest doesn't converge.

Straight-talking and frank assessment may be the norm in the boardroom btwn China and Russia. But how will this be done with more big shots namely India rolled in? The drastic expansion will definitely weaken the group's swiftness and effectiveness in response to common challenges (primarily to clamp down on "terrorism, separatism and extremism") . Especially absorbing both India and Pakistan this round may lead to bring their bilateral feuds into the group. The priority IMO shall have been given to countries on the periphery of Afghanistan like Pakistan and Iran to cope with the post-NATO scenarios while India even has no overland access to Afghanistan.

[​IMG]

pmaitra and Neo like this.
  8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

India joining SCO will give India a greater leeway into the CAR countries, which have vast amount of natural resources that can be of advantage to India's growth.

While it will certainly appear to the critics as 'another bloc' to countervail the Western influence, it definitely is not a 'military bloc'.

It will therefore be of not great concern to the West since India developing and progressing will only be to the advantage of the West since the Indian end products will be competitive and will offset dependence on China.

This in turn will give greater leeway to the West, and more importantly the US, tp address US China relationship more robustly than what is current where the US has to maintain a fine balance much to its chagrin.

One might remind that even when there was the Western sanction on Iran, the US and others had no qualms about India trading with Iran and getting oil and gas.

It appears that Russia is building a great relationship with China. That is not so. In fact, it is superficial. Russia is wary of China since China has made inroads in the East Russia and is building up its influence. The so called current bonhomie is but a stopgap since the West is spurning Russia over the actions in Ukraine. Russian economy has to be kept on even keel. China is the way out by selling oil and other hi tech products and technology.

It is to Russia's interest to have India on board to countervail China in the SCO.

In no way will there be any bilateral feuds between India and Pakistan since the aim is development in both the nations. In fact, it will assist in greater trade between India and Pakistan, which in any case is there, but through third countries like UAE. It will assist trade to become direct and to mutual advantage.

If the West 'attacks' any SCO country, since it is not a military pact, each nation will be independent to have its own views and/ or stay neutral, while making the usual 'noises' that is expected to be done when aggression takes place.

Further, the West, notwithstanding strenuous attempts have not been able to get the CAR countries into their 'sphere of influence' and hence, there is no ground for the West to attack any country of the SCO.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    sesha_maruthi27 and Srinivas_K like this.
  9. rizwan78

rizwan78 Regular Member

For your information europeans are much more hatered against each others as compare to china india and pakistan than . they have faught hundreds of war with each other more then us and they still hates each others still fighting with each other not with weapons but with pens and books. that is what required for both india & pak too.
    NATO will never dare to attack any of us after the formation of military support in between SCO countries

10. rizwan78

rizwan78 Regular Member

Ray sir, South Asia have huge market for the western countries which they are heavily dependent . let aside the SCO military coopration if SCO countries stop there trade with them they will be found themselves on footpaths in very next day

sesha_maruthi27 and Ray like this.
  11. Jagdish58

Jagdish58 Regular Member

European fought in Second world war-2 even they have diffe , from their borders they don't spit fire using artillery almost everyday or violate airspace or march over LOC

It will be very uneasy co-operation but good start anyways hope they stand up against Uncle Sam , becuase no one wants other countries in asia follow Syria, Iraq & Afghanistan after power vacuum falling into extremist

rizwan78 likes this.
  12. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

But Pakistan is presently supporting the N.A.T.O.

13. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

India applies for SCO full membership - Xinhua | English.news.cn

India applies for SCO full membership

NEW DELHI, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- India on Friday formally applied for full membership in the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), said local media.

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj formally submitted an application for full membership to the SCO on behalf of India at the SCO Heads of State Summit 2014 meeting at Dushanbe, in Tajikistan.

External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said that following India's application, it is now for the SCO to take the decision on membership, said Indo-Asian News Service.

"It is our expectation that we will be able to contribute to the SCO in a better capacity once the SCO opens up its membership to other countries," he said.

"India sees the SCO as a forum where it can work regionally on several aspects, such as regional anti-terror mechanisms," said Akbaruddin.

He also said India believes it can contribute in a better capacity after gaining full membership, and also in the case of aiding in Afghanistan's development.

India currently has an observer status with the SCO.

14. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

15. prohumanity

prohumanity Regular Member

Hey Folks..Mr. J is very worried by current India govt. policies..Mr. J is a hypothetical ,imaginary character I invented yesterday. This morning, I was reading Mr.J's mind...you know..I can read minds..(just joking )
    Mr. J was thinking " These Indians are spoiling my future profits..its very bad..they want all these damn bullet trains...what will happen to demand for oil ...my Oil company profits will go down..and their dependency on Middle East (which I control) goes down..a lose lose situation for me and my buddies..
    These Indians are being too smart..they are developing Solar Energy/Wind Energy..in their damn desert..more trouble for my Oil companies. Now, these smarty pants want to be friends with China...what a disaster...how I will sell them my high priced high tech weapons....bad ..bad..bad...Those Russians are making these cheap...Pak Fa..F*uck Fa ...whatever... fighter jets with Indians....this will cause collapse in price of fighter jets...in World markets..already those little monster Chinese are making J-20s for pennies ....not good for my defense firms...too much competition these days...who is this TATA guy...i hate him..he is making those little cars who hardly consume any Gasoline...this bad guy wants to kill my Big car Companies as Indians will not buy Gas Guzzlers...what a bad time for profits....Any way, these Indians don't even want credit cards and borrow...how I am gonna get them in debt and charge 32% interest...too bad for my profits...They keep producing these Engineers and Computer guys in millions...what if they build Cheap stuff and cheap cyber army...really bad...Oh..those Kunda.. kuldam..nuke plants ..I can't even pronounce the name will produce electricity ..thats going to make Indian GDP grow rapidly....I need to do something about this ..bloody coming DEFLATION...but how can I stop these 1.2 billion little guys who read English, can think in English and understand what I am thinking and planning...some of these are trying to read my mind.
    Mr. J ,suddenly stopped thinking as he felt someone is reading his mind..so I had to run away for now.

16. sorcerer

sorcerer Senior Member Senior Member

Indian Ambassador: We Are Ready To Become A Full-Fledged Member Of The SCO

After coming to power in India, the new prime minister - Narendra Modi and after the visit of Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Moscow and New Delhi are trying to take their traditional strategic partnership to a new level and the countries plans to advance it not just with the help of the traditionally successful military technical cooperation.

This, in particular, was emphasized by the Indian ambassador Pundi Srinivasan Raghavan — “We are ready to become a full member of the SCO”, he said in an interview with RIA Novosti, when answering to the question if New Delhi is ready to become a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization this year.

India, for the past ten years, has been an observer at the SCO and has made significant contributions to the organization. We appreciate that Moscow supports our commitment to become a member of this organization — this support was reflected in the joint statement made by the leaders, during Vladimir Putin's visit to India. We are ready to become a full member of the SCO, whenever it may happen. I can only say that, Russia has always supported our wish to become a member of the SCO and has done everything possible for that, said Mr. Raghavan.

Mr. Ambassador, in the last 2 months, three important Indo-Russian meets have take place: namely the visit of Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to India, negotiations of the foreign ministers in Beijing at the Russia-India-China(RIC) meet, and, of course, the Indo-Russian summit in New Delhi at the end of last year. Now, when we will these already signed documents start functioning?

Visit of President Putin to India in December last year was a landmark event — in many ways it was a turning point. I
    t was the first annual summit between the leaders after a new government came into power in India. In course of the meetings, the sides re-affirmed the status of a privileged strategic partnership between Russia and India and formulated a comprehensible agenda for the development of bilateral cooperation in various fields.

India is ready to supply in the Russian market meat and milk in place of supplies originating from Europe. What were the results of the negotiations with Rosselkhoznadzor for permitting Indian companies to work in this sector?

India’s specialized agencies and Rosselhoznadzor are in contact with each other and have created a working mechanism to settle all issues relating to the supply of agricultural products. We expect to see concrete results, including in matters concerning the supply of meat and dairy products in the coming months.

However, there is one aspect with which generally not all are fully aware of: the current supply route for Indian suppliers of agricultural products. It is very lengthy one. If one has to transport goods by sea, then they have to go halfway around the globe, to the port of St. Petersburg. So it is necessary to find ways of deliveries, so that the products meet all necessary requirements of preservation of quality. Negotiations on these issues are continuing. I think we are likely to see the results in the next few months.

Will this be the transport corridor North-South (initiators of which are the Russian Federation, India, Iran) and will companies take advantage of this route?

The North-South Corridor is a very important project; it is an important concept, which was also discussed at the meet between the leaders of Russia and India. And the final statement indicated of mechanisms of working together to speed up the launching of this route and activation of all necessary procedures. But, not only Moscow and India are part of this process, it also includes participation of other countries. Hence, we have announced that we undertake to cooperate with other partners to speed up the start of this route. This, not only significantly reduces the cost of transporting goods, but also halves the time, which will have an immediate impact on bilateral trade. Also, other Member States of the route stand to benefit due to transit profits.

The visit of US President Barack Obama to India took place almost a month after the visit of Russian leader Vladimir Putin. Some analysts point out that this coincidence is not accidental, and reflects the line of New Delhi’s rapprochement with the United States which may cause a detriment in the traditional strategic relations with Russia. How can you evaluate such kind of statements?

International relations cannot be compared to a game that is played with a zero start-up sum. It is true that India is trying to expand its range of international cooperation. But Russia has been and will remain our special privileged partner. And I would like to recall what was said by our Prime Minister Modi during Vladimir Putin's visit to India: “President Putin is the leader of a great country and friendship between our peoples is based on equality, trust and good will. We are developing a strategic partnership that is comparable to nothing else.” According to him, the nature and essence of international relations are changing, but “the significance of Russian-Indian relations and their unique place in India's foreign policy will not change”. I have nothing more to add to that.

Was Delhi’s accession to the anti-Russian sanctions discussed during Obama's visit?

India's foreign policy is based on our own values and interests, it is important to preserve the autonomous status of India in international affairs. Our approach to sanctions has always been consistent and clear. We do not consider sanctions as an effective tool. And the results of Vladimir Putin's visit to India clearly demonstrate that our multilateral economic cooperation with Russia, on the contrary, is increasing and is becoming more diverse.

Do you see prospects for growth in trade with Russia in the coming year? In which areas do you see a breakthrough?

Of course, during the meeting between President Putin and Prime Minister Modi, the importance of cooperation in the sphere of trade was stressed. After all, any strategic partnership — as in the case of Russia and India — must be based on a trade and economic foundation. We hope that, despite the global economic recession, our bilateral trade will see positive growth.

We are working with local partners to strengthen existing cooperation in the pharmaceutical industry, machine-building industry, the agricultural sector and in segment of supply of fertilizers. In addition, we are focusing on development in new directions — in the hydrocarbon sector and direct trade in rough diamonds.

We are trying to create conditions for Russian rough diamonds to be sold directly in India, instead of selling them through intermediaries- other countries.

But you've already signed a contract with Alrosa…

This is just the beginning. It can be recalled, that in December, long-term contracts were concluded between “Alrosa” and several Indian companies. But we hope to create conditions for “Alrosa” to trade directly in India and organize auctions for the sale of diamonds in India. Today, “Alrosa” holds such auctions in different countries: Belgium, Dubai, but not in India. The company explains this due to a lack of optimal conditions in India. Our government has committed itself to create conditions that will be profitable to “Alrosa” for selling diamonds in India. This process is gathering momentum. Let me remind you, that during the Diamond Conference in New Delhi (in December 2014), our Prime Minister briefed President Putin on the establishment of special zones where diamonds can be sold. But there are other issues that need to be addressed: security issues and the taxation areas. And we're working on them so that “Alrosa” can come to India. And this will be a major breakthrough.

Read more: http://hindi.sputniknews.com/south_asia/20150218/1013488136.html#ixzz3S7zZC2o4

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  17. prohumanity

prohumanity Regular Member

Re: Indian Ambassador: We Are Ready To Become A Full-Fledged Member in

Thats a great news. India should join SCO...as a member state. India's foreign policy has been independent and should continue to be independent as thats what suits a great emerging superpower's stature. Being subservient to any power for short term economic gain is not the true reflection of a any giant nation. India has a bright future and needs to continue to be friends and partner to all its neighbors and get into a "win-win partnership" with China, Russia, Iran, US, Europe and all other nations. "Strategic autonomy" and "self confidence" should remain the pillars of Indian worldview.
    There is nothing to be afraid of ...Under BJP..I believe the days of intimidating and threatening India are gone. Pakistan can not be used anymore as it has to save itself from itself and has lost its trouble making role as a western puppet.

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  18. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Wah we will be in August company of China, Pakistan, Iran, Russia. :facepalm: joining a forum by the Chinese for the Chinese.

Modi has revived the "Quad" dialog essentially an anti Chinese grouping.

19. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

I think modi gov is juggling at to many fornts

For westen led front want to appear as against china
    for russi/chinese led front appear as pro russia/china

20. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

SAARC needs to be a forum by india for india

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  21. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

SCO states can't have border disputes with each other. It's written into the SCO charter. If India wants to join the SCO it has to settle the border issue first.