India and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)

Should India get permanant membership in the SCO?

• Yes, India should join SCO as full member

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • No, India's observer status is enough

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Not now, but maybe in the future

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

A.V.

MOSCOW, February 16 (RIA Novosti) - Iran expects to receive the backing of Russia, which holds the presidency of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, in its bid for full membership of the organization, Iran's foreign minister said on Monday.

The SCO comprises Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan. Russia took over the presidency of the organization last August. Iran and Pakistan have observer status within the organization.

"Iran has officially addressed SCO members and expects its observer status to be finally upgraded to full membership during Russia's chairmanship period," Manouchehr Mottaki said in an interview with RIA Novosti.

Widely seen as a counterweight to NATO's influence in Eurasia, the group primarily addresses security issues, but has recently moved to embrace economic and energy projects.

Iran and Pakistan, observers since 2005, have said they want to become permanent members of the organization, but their requests have yet to be officially considered.

Russia and China have expressed caution over admitting Iran, which is embroiled in a long-running dispute with the West and Israel over its nuclear program and alleged support for radical groups in Lebanon and other countries.

Both China and Russia have major commercial interests in Iran. China wants Iranian oil and gas, and to sell weapons and other goods to the country, while Moscow hopes to sell more weapons and nuclear energy technology to Tehran.
RIA Novosti - World - Iran pins hopes on Russia in its SCO bid - Mottaki

Country flag
SCO invites India to attend meeting on Afghanistan

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/28/content_10918303.htm

SCO invites India to attend meeting on Afghanistan
www.chinaview.cn 2009-02-28 18:27:19

NEW DELHI, Feb. 28 (Xinhua) -- The six-member Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) has invited India to attend an international conference on Afghanistan to be held in Moscow on March 27, according to a report by local daily the Asian Age on Saturday.

SCO secretary-general Bolat Nurgaliev Friday held talks with Indian defense and security analysts in New Delhi and called on India to contribute to the success of the conference, which he hoped would "frankly discuss the situation in Afghanistan and its influence on neighboring states," according to the report.

"India had an important role to play in strengthening the SCO. We respect India's peaceful foreign policy. We share common positions on many issues. India has good relations with all SCO members and the prospects for future relations are very bright," the report quoted Nurgaliev as saying.

The Russian diplomat also said that the Iranian nuclear issue should not be solved with the use of force or the threat of use of force, and called on the international community to "involve (Iran) and not isolate it," said the report.

Russia is the current rotating chair of the SCO which includes China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, the Kyrghyz Republic and Tajikistan. India holds observer status at SCO.

A.V.

this is a good development sir the indians should not let this oppurtunity go by.
as is evident centra asia is the next hot-spot for the world almost everyone wants t get a share of influence there.india should think seriously about permanently joining the sco as it will bring together a very formidable forum to the world,china,india and russia joining hands in for a regional influence would be a great news also we need to balance out the chinese influence in the region,so act now before its too late.

Country flag
has India ever been offered membership? If India joins it could change the dynamics of Asia/world from a military point of view, but I agree India should join.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
India joining the SCO is a good idea but we should not expect a NATO like alliance from the SCO, firstly SCO is not a military bloc however Peace 2007 indicates a military concern of its member nations. One of the prime concern of Russia and the PRC are the US and the NATO, while India don't have any such concern. In fact PRC itself is the prime concern for India's security. It is also believed that if India joins a militarised SCO it could be a disaster for the SCO itself, again the two Asian giants have some conflicting interests i.e. exploitation(exploration) of SE Asia and African countries. To conclude SCO can serve India with better political and economic ties with PRC and other members and reduction of hostilities on border disputes with PRC but not as a strategic military alliance.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I doubt China would let India in.
The current chair of SCO is Russia. So I think its a Russian invitation for us to join. Basically, I think Russia is trying to counterbalance the influence of China in the SCO and also get a few friendly chaps on board.

Anyways, its not like China has veto rights in the SCO, does he???

In that case, he can rave and rant all he wants, but we'll go ahead and join. I'm sure Russia is in favour of us joining and a couple of the central asian countries apart from Tajikistan would also support us. So, that puts China in a minority... he can't exactly get what he wants...

Oh, I forgot.... China doesn't know what it means to be in a democracy... hehehehe.... :D:D:D:D:D

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The current chair of SCO is Russia. So I think its a Russian invitation for us to join. Basically, I think Russia is trying to counterbalance the influence of China in the SCO and also get a few friendly chaps on board.

Anyways, its not like China has veto rights in the SCO, does he???

In that case, he can rave and rant all he wants, but we'll go ahead and join. I'm sure Russia is in favour of us joining and a couple of the central asian countries apart from Tajikistan would also support us. So, that puts China in a minority... he can't exactly get what he wants...

Oh, I forgot.... China doesn't know what it means to be in a democracy... hehehehe.... :D:D:D:D:D
Can I know the reason for why Tajikstan would not favour India when we have warm relation with that state?

EnlightenedMonk

Can I know the reason for why Tajikstan would not favour India when we have warm relation with that state?
I meant that other Central Asian countries APART from Tajikistan would also support us.... which means that Tajik support is guaranteed... Apart from that I also expected a couple of other Central Asian countries to support us...

I'm sorry if the post was initially unclear... :):):)

A.V.

SCO poll

should india join the SCO as a member or they are better as observers.your say.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Of course India should join the SCO, I dont find anything that would go against such decision, a regional collaboration and cooperation is always welcoming.

VayuSena1

Professional
Of course India should join the SCO, I dont find anything that would go against such decision, a regional collaboration and cooperation is always welcoming.
I would welcome this view if there was lesser involvement of Pakistan but just as Russian lobby favors Indian involvement, the Chinese lobby favors Pakistani. I am not exactly anti-any nation here since politics changes enemies into allies in no time, but owing to the past wars, conflicts and skirmishes fought I am sure that I would not be comfortable with either Pakistan or China in any alliance.

It would be pointless if we have to join such an alliance with two of our most bitter adversaries and competitors as no one would come to a concensus and most of the time Russia would be spending would be to make China and India come to a common ground.

I believe that we stay as observers for the foreseeable future since no position is never a solution and observer is not hampering India's political interests outside the nation. One can always refuse to join the SCO if Pakistan becomes a member.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
SCO grants Sri Lanka 'dialogue partner' status

SCO grants Sri Lanka 'dialogue partner' status
16 Jun 2009, 1728 hrs IST, PTI

YEKATERINBURG (RUSSIA): Granting Sri Lanka the status of a 'dialogue partner', the SCO on Tuesday hailed the end of 'internal armed conflict' there, even as it hoped that all the ethnic groups will be given equal rights for a lasting peace in the country.

"Sri Lanka and Belarus have been granted the status of SCO dialogue partner," Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said at the end of two-day summit of the regional grouping.

In their joint statement the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation members, Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have welcomed the end of 'internal armed conflict' in Sri Lanka.

They expressed hope that on the foundation of the sovereignty of the state, territorial integrity and 'guaranteed rights of all the ethnic and religious groups' a lasting peace, security and stability would be restored in the country.

SCO grants Sri Lanka 'dialogue partner' status - Europe - World - The Times of India

Flint

China's brilliant strategic move to bankroll the Sri Lankan offensive against the LTTE is paying off.

Koji

The SCO....the Grand Daddy of the "String of Pearls" strategy.

badguy2000

Respected Member
before making Russia tame and complete assure china's leadership of SCO, China should not make SCO expanded.

Koji

I disagree. Keeping Russia in the fold gives the SCO real legitimacy and influence.

EnlightenedMonk

before making Russia tame and complete assure china's leadership of SCO, China should not make SCO expanded.
And how does the CCP plan on "taming" Russia??? Do you have any economic leverages on him??? He has oil/gas!!! What are you going to use against him to make him subservient to you???

Country flag
Russia has more power over the CAR than anyone without them there would be no SCO.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles