India and Drug Patents

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by trackwhack, Aug 22, 2012.

1. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

How an Indian Patent Case Could Shape the Future of Generic Drugs

How an Indian Patent Case Could Shape the Future of Generic Drugs | World | TIME.com

We all have debated to death China violating IP.

This is an area where our courts have determined that violating IP's are morally correct. It is the main reason why 90% of Aids patients in the world today have drugs.

Your thoughts please.

Daredevil, balai_c and ani82v like this.
  3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

What UNICEF does in disease prevention should not be overlooked in the discussion.

4. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

China is violating IPs for commercial purposes. But the violating IPs for medicine to the poor is morally justifiable but its injustice to the original innovating companies.

I would sugget that governments should subsidise the medicine for the poor or allow these companies tax-free selling of their other drugs or limit the patent expiry to 5 years.

There should be a proper balancing act.

Energon likes this.
  5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

We must do whatever is in the interest of our country and its citizens and if it means tearing up international law then so be it.

pmaitra likes this.
  6. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

its the projection of Chinese Govt over Private Business that creates the grey area of Gap where each party can utilize the shoulder of other as a means to an end! They seems to be Public-Private entities to the world but actually they are one lot of bunch that creates different shadows for different ends. its this grey area that is used to erode accountability and make the process opaque and run on the IP recklessly.

7. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

I think the adversarial stand off between Indian and Western pharmaceutical industry should be turned into a collaboration instead. Each party has it's specialty; western pharma companies are unparalleled in their innovative success, Indian pharmaceutical companies on the other hand have mastered the art of mass producing drugs for the cost sensitive market. There is no reason why both these assets can't be combined with shared revenue.

It would behoove the Indian government to in fact attract chemical manufacturing as a whole through mass private collaborations and ensure high quality and safe industrial practices. This however is unlikely to happen because the government would have to become a responsible regulator, and if there's anything we know its that the Indian government only seeks to assert complete control over everything and has no interest whatsoever in responsible oversight (their actual job)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    W.G.Ewald likes this.
  8. trackwhack

I'd agree with collaboration but beg to differ on the approach. Indian drug research programs are already bearing fruit and will be competing against western firms in a few years. There will be a few newbies in the Big Pharma group. So suggesting that India stick with mass production while the west dominate the IP market makes us sound like suckers.

9. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my earlier post. What I would like to see is the re organization of the pharmaceutical industry along the lines of research and generic mass production. All companies would be free to pursue research and be held accountable by the same standards (GCP/ICH etc) and also share patent rules to ensure fair play. All companies can also have low cost generic divisions with various collaborators all over the world.

trackwhack likes this.
  10. trackwhack

11. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Big Pharma presses US to quash cheap drug production in India