India all set to develop reusable rockets

Country flag
India all set to develop reusable rockets: DRDO chief - India - DNA

After the successful launch of Agni-V Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), India is all set to develop reusable rockets which will combine the technologies of both ballistic and cruise missiles.

As part of plans to develop reusable ballistic missiles, Defence Research and Development Organisation will test indigenously developed scram jet engine next year, DRDO Chief VK Saraswat said in an interview to Doordarshan.

"We have propulsion technology, we have re-entry technologies, we have the technology which can take a re-entry system which will deliver a payload and have yet another re-entry system which will bring the missile back when it re-enters the atmosphere on its return journey," he said.

"We have demonstrated the performance of a scram jet engine operating at Mach six speed (six times the speed of sound)," he said.

On the range of Agni-V missile which was scuccessfully test-fired recently off Odisha coast, the DRDO chief said with moderate modifications, "it can be extended to any range which is of our interest."

On technological capability available with the agency, he said, "DRDO has built the necessary technologies, production infrastructure and design capability for developing a booster or a sustainer... We have the capability to develop a re-entry nose cone which can withstand higher temperature and velocity."

ashicjose

Is it possible to fire a missile with nuclear fuel ( with controlled fusion/fission explosion ).

ashicjose

not a reactor ,in reactor there is no explosions happening.

ashicjose

Like solid propelled motors using nuclear fuel instead of usual fuel.
Now I am not sure about us ,but the American's can wage nuclear attack by using artillery shell and if we can miniature it to a level where we can control the explosion like in solid rocket motor, it is possible to fire a missile ( I think ).

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
not a reactor ,in reactor there is no explosions happening.
Explosions are just uncontrolled nuclear reactions. Remove the control rods from the reactor and there would be explosions.

Like solid propelled motors using nuclear fuel instead of usual fuel.
To use it as a fuel you'd have to create a reactor assembly to control the chain reaction.

ashicjose

In my knowledge the reactor controlling the chain reaction and producing heat to generate electricity.

pmaitra

Nuclear reactor on a missile?

Technically yes. The missile will be huge, with a diameter of that of a city block.

Practically, I do not see anyone doing anything like that.

To get back to the point, how will the rockets be re-used? Will they glide back to the surface after having lifted the upper stages?

I am thinking of the Baikal concept, a reusable booster:

Baikal (rocket booster) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ashicjose

@pmaitra
I mean nuclear fuel not a reactor.
@Dovah
radiation from the rocket plume
and answer to your private letter check my post 9

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
it is missile, but it act like unmanned weapons delivery plane, which can be reused. Enemy is going to get sleepless nights.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles