Guardian Drones for Indian Navy

Tarun Kumar

10 billion for at least 120 if not 150 F16s, LM will not even host Indian PM in their office. I suggest we leave these high ticket purchases to Saudis. I am disgusted by sight of 10s of billions draining from our coffers with no end in sight.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Why not look at the other dimension that defence industry is powerful in USA.
Our guys are shelling money not just to buy but use them to lobby for our IT.:confused1:

IndiaRising

Country flag
this deal is a total loss for India, unless Trump becomes less stringent on H1Bs and takes a more proactive stance against pakistan. i do not see either happening

scatterStorm

Country flag
Why not look at the other dimension that defence industry is powerful in USA.
Our guys are shelling money not just to buy but use them to lobby for our IT.:confused1:
Of one thing I know being working in an IT company for an year, our IT guys are no way match for there's, they only want us because they could focus on key research areas such as Machine learning, A.I etc ... thus whole thing of just screwdriving also apply here.

Neil

Country flag
22 drones for ISR capabilities of IN? Navy could buy 3 more scorpenes to add some muscles to the already dwindling numbers.

Also can these drones be transferred or use by ARC or IAF for their own ISR capabilities?

Akshay Fenix

Country flag

So, they are more interested in the tech that comes with it and not the Drone per say.

Wisemarko

Country flag
India already has infrastructure for Israeli drones. Buying a different system will need expensive set up. The major benefit of US drones will be its ability to "connect" with P-8I and share information. Otherwise it look like unreasonable purchase.

Akshay Fenix

Country flag
Eyes in the sky, very useful to patrol large parts of ocean.

48 hours worth of flight capability at 200knots is a game changer.
Triton_Baseline.png

busesaway

I think these products are better suited for countries with a high personal income levels and low population growths, and furthermore they should be built by local companies rather than imported. These would be perfect for Japan or Israel, but not for India or Africa.

What India needs are anti-submarine warfare ships and a few aircraft carriers, not maritime patrol UAVs. The pirating operations should be outsourced to private companies at the expense of rich western companies.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The list of things that would have a FAR greater utility to the military/nation for the money is immense (another SQN of Rafales (made in India), 3-4 SQNs of LCAs, a SQ N of C-17s, 100+ C-295Ws (made in India) 2 SQNs of C-130J-30s, 400+ M777s (made in India), 300+ K9s(made in India), re-equipping the ENTIRE Indian SOF community with world class equipment, 12 more P-8Is, 60+ S-70B NMRH (made in India), 100++ NUH (made in India), 3-4 more P-17A (made in India) etc etc the list is literally endless).

But instead "just" 22 (unarmed) maritime drones and not one made in India with no industrial benefits whatsoever? This doesn't feel right at all especially when you compare it to the allocations for domestic R&D projects (measly). The cost benefit analysis jsut doesn't add up.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
GOI dont have 20 Billion$ ..............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

they will not spend more than 10 Billion $ on F-16 .
For $10 billion India can get, at best, 70 F-16s but I think it's more likely closer to 50-60.

abingdonboy

Country flag
It is a unarmed naval drone .
It will probably come with SAR and sonar buoys.
No sonar buoys, India will have to pay a LOT for that development.

India already has infrastructure for Israeli drones. Buying a different system will need expensive set up. The major benefit of US drones will be its ability to "connect" with P-8I and share information. Otherwise it look like unreasonable purchase.
And once India has paid billions to create such infrastructure and is happy with the Guardians won't this act as a disincentive to pursue/fund the Rustom-2/TAPAS and commit to procuring them and duplicating the training/infrastructure costs but this time for a domestic product?

10 billion for at least 120 if not 150 F16s, LM will not even host Indian PM in their office. I suggest we leave these high ticket purchases to Saudis. I am disgusted by sight of 10s of billions draining from our coffers with no end in sight.
Think about it logically, India paid $9 billion for 36 Rafales, around $2 billion of this deal went to Indian specific upgrades (higher thrust engines, customisation for IAF etc) and training/infrastructure costs. If there's one thing we know about the US it is that they charge HEAVILY to add capabilities and customise their products (and most of the time they won't even allow it) and their services are also very expensive addtionally the F-16 had FAILED the MMRCA trails to get it to a level where it can pass the technical criteria of the IAF will cost India $$$ and a lot of time thus we can assume this $2 billion figure would be a LOT more for any F-16 deal so let's say that's $3 billion gone straight away, to get 120-150 F-16 Blk.70 will cost around around $15-18 billion USD WITHOUT weapons. With weapons, training, base/infrastructure costs included India is looking at $20 billion for a plne that the PAF has been operating for decades.

So either India gets a product it doesn't want or gets a product that it is paying through the nose for but is less capable than the Rafale.

zala09

If 2 or 3 billion dollas was invested in setting up an R&D facility then we might have achieved something. :bplease:
How can we be a super power when 80% of our weapons are Imported. :bs:
I just think 2 billion seems a little to much for a 10 million per unit drone even after all the installation and facilities.
All this just to appease Donald Drump :creepy:

Damn would have been lot better if it were armed predator drones.
Off course..
It is expensive..deal..

But I also want to tell.. DRDO already used many money like this project.. with un know time.. limit but Progress is Not move ahead of "0"
And PM modi also need some quick results too..

So.. Deal is good enough with USA..
(US policy always Silent Massage : Something Buy from us then we think About ur problem)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles