IN to get more Mk 54 lightweight torpedo kits

blue marlin

The Mk 54 Mod 0 is an anti-submarine torpedo used for littoral scenarios.
The US Department of Defense (DoD) has awarded Raytheon a USD29.75 million contract that includes the delivery of Mk 54 Mod 0 Lightweight Torpedo (LWT) kits to the Indian Navy.

The contract, which was announced on 31 August, covers the manufacture and delivery (plus engineering and repair services for the upgrades) of 100 LWT kits for the US Navy (USN) and 68 LWT kits for India, Turkey and Australia under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme. The breakdown of FMS numbers was not disclosed.

Deliveries are expected to be completed by 30 September 2017.

The 230 kg, 2.59 m long Mk 54 Mod 0 is an anti-submarine torpedo used for littoral scenarios (including operation in both shallow and deep water environmental conditions). It can be launched from surface ships, submarines, helicopters, and aircraft and is interoperable with existing Mk 46 and Mk 50 launch platforms.

rohit b3

Country flag
So India already has the TAL Light Weight Torpedo, but again imports?

Immanuel

Country flag

Saichand K

Country flag
These MK-54s are for the P-8I, TAL will be used primarily from ships in the IN. 25 TALs already ordered, more need to be ordered for other principal ships. In the link below, you can see the envisaged usage of the TAL during test from ships.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2015/02/nine-drdo-projects-running-behind.html
TAL is not only ship based but is also air based for helicopter or flight launched as well (dropped using parachute in the proximity of the target). Also the specs of both the light weight torpedoes are quite close. I think they can be used interchangeably. I do not know why we are importing Mk-54s again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Light_Torpedo_Shyena

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles