In the midst of wargames, armymen feast on chinkaras

bhramos

Country flag
Jaipur: Armymen camping in Barmer - a border district in Rajasthan - for 'Sudarshan Shakti' exercise allegedly slaughtered three chinkaras on Thursday late night for their meal. A court of inquiry has been ordered by the Army after the forest department lodged a complaint and probe has already begun.

Around 60,000 personnel of army's Southern Command and Indian Air Force's South Western Air Command (SWAC) are camping in Rajasthan as a part of the exercise to strengthen battle skills on the borders of Jaisalmer and Barmer.

In a similar case in 1998, Bollywood actors Salman Khan and others, who were shooting a film in Jodhpur, were charged with killing of protected species of deer and a case was registered against them.

Acting on a tip off that army personnel killed chinkara - a protected deer species under the Wildlife Protection Act - the forest department team raided a base camp of 88 Armed Workshop Unit of Electronic Mechanical Engineering Wing in Nimbla village on Friday.

The forest officers recovered severed heads of three chinkara and their body parts in utensils from the camp site. They also recovered the blood-stained knife, possible used to kill the deer, from the make-shift kitchen.

A forest department official said forensic science laboratory experts collected blood and meat samples and the post-mortem of the remains too was conducted.

During close examination of the unit, blood stains were also found on the Army gypsy, which they probably used to carry chinkaras to their camp.

Investigations so far have revealed that the armymen allegedly killed three chinkara, two male and one female, near the Desert National Park in Barmer and brought them to the camp in their gypsy.

However, the possibility of involvement of local villagers in hunting the deer is not being ruled out.

Sources said army officials came to know about the incident during the night when forest department team interrogated armymen, present in the camp, they failed to give a satisfactory reply following which officials ordered an investigation into the matter.

Army spokesperson Colonel SD Goswami said considering the seriousness of the issue, a court of inquiry has been ordered. "We will initiate strict action against the guilty. Army is extending full support to the local police and the forest department, who are carrying out the probe in the matter," he said.

In the midst of wargames, armymen feast on chinkaras - www.daily.bhaskar.com

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A C of I is correct.

If found guilty, it being a civil offence, the Army cannot try them.

Therefore, the guilty should stew in a civil court.

They will be in military custody, but the civil court will try them.

Those who think they are extra smart chaps, they require to be told where to get off.

No mercy should be shown.

They are disgracing the fair name of the Indian Army and bringing shame to many other disciplined army personnel.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
It is a civil offence and the Army cannot try them.

Therefore, the guilty should stew inn a civil court.

Those who think they are extra smart chaps, they require to be told where to get off.
Can military men, on military duties be tried by a civilian court, since this occurred in the War game exercises.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
A C of I is correct.

If found guilty, it being a civil offence, the Army cannot try them.

Therefore, the guilty should stew in a civil court.

No mercy should be shown.

They are disgracing the fair name of the Indian Army and bringing shame to many other disciplined army personnel.
Yes, what matters is the fair name of the Army. The Army is one public institution in India that still has a great degree of respect in the public's eyes. Anyone who besmirches that name from within needs to be punished so severely and brutally that it sets a precedent.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Can military men, on military duties be tried by a civilian court, since this occurred in the War game exercises.
If it is a civil offence, then the case will have to be tried in a civil court.

However, the civil authorities have the right to waive that and instead allow the military to try people as per law but in a military court, owing to administrative exigences.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Chinkara tastes like venison, I would imagine.

lemontree

Professional
This could'nt be the work of johnnies...would have been some shikar crazy officers. Poor show.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This could'nt be the work of johnnies...would have been some shikar crazy officers. Poor show.
Indeed.

In fact, some fool 'takur' or the so called 'zemidar' freak type of officers, who are used to lording over their farmers in the cowbelt and neighbourhood areas, thought they were back into their fiefdom and that the Army uniform was their passport for dadagiri.

If this were so, then they should be taken to task and brought to book.

No mercy!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinkara tastes like venison, I would imagine.
Yes.

It has that very grassy smell and taste!

My unit's second in command was a great shikari (hunter) when I was a youngster and so I have tasted all sorts of game.

In India, hunting is banned because of conservation of the animals.

I believe in the US, hunting is natural and allowed.

They can also shoot their own friends in the name of hunting! And that is also allowed!

Remember our good friend Cheney - the short sighted hunter?

:rofl:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Yes.

It has that very grassy smell and taste!

My unit's second in command was a great shikari (hunter) when I was a youngster and so I have tasted all sorts of game.

In India, hunting is banned because of conservation of the animals.

I believe in the US, hunting is natural and allowed.

They can also shoot their own friends in the name of hunting! And that is also allowed!

Remember our good friend Cheney - the short sighted hunter?

:rofl:
I still respect Cheney for using a 28 gauge in the field. He must be a good shot, when not having unfortunate accidents.

Sad story here:

Hunter kills himself after accidentally shooting his friend dead | Mail Online

Is all hunting banned in India?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
India To Reopen Hunting?
The Indian state of Madhya Pradesh is seriously considering a Campfire-type program in which local villages will benefit from licensed trophy hunting. Apparently, exploding populations of wild boar, blackbuck antelope and axis deer are devastating crops in certain areas of India. In Madhya Pradesh alone, the loss totals more than $2.5 million annually. Additionally, the animals are overgrazing sensitive habitats of the endangered hard-ground barasingha deer.
Article is 4 years old.

Iamanidiot

No please do not make hunting legal again..Hunting is a darn headache for me on the personal level

Iamanidiot

Wild boar are a nuisance and hard creatures to hunt using a gun in india and even harder to cook properly

Iamanidiot

We used to eat Wild Boars on regular basis..
Let me think In Babina the Bhil tribals generally approach army officers to hunt the boars that destroy their crops right and they are a happy lot if the army culls some of these pests

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Let me think In Babina the Bhil tribals generally approach army officers to hunt the boars that destroy their crops right and they are a happy lot if the army culls some of these pests
No, not because of that but the area was full of them and getting few for special occasions was not a big deal..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The grapevine lets me know that these chaps are in BIG trouble and they shall pay for their sins.

The Army brass is hopping mad.

Good thing the Army is handling it.

There is no chance of any legal loophole, as it would be in a civil inquiry, to wiggle out through!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles