IN Scorpene Submarines - News & Discussions

captscooby81

Country flag
@Trinetra This is the only source i could find about the third Sub being named Vela ..But this might be wrong tooo ..As Kalvari class was named kalvari,khanderi,karanj,Kursura the older Foxtrot Subs ..The new ones might be named the same too the last two subs might be named something new .

@ezsasa Not there is no world called Vela in tamil @Vijyes Velam means jaggery in tamil and also floods are called velam too nothing related to fishing ..

http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...ri-this-year-rear-admiral-mohit-gupta/515532/

S.Balaji

Country flag
Velam or something similar is used in context of sri lanka and tamil fishermen conflict. I think it has something to do with fishing.
Tamils of SL called their settlements as Eelam..and war between LTTE and SL army was called Eelam wars

The word dosent mean fishing

Vijyes

Tamils of SL called their settlements as Eelam..and war between LTTE and SL army was called Eelam wars

The word dosent mean fishing
Yes, I know that. I got confused. Lets move any further conversations regarding yhin in chit chat to avoid derailing thread.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@Trinetra This is the only source i could find about the third Sub being named Vela ..But this might be wrong tooo ..As Kalvari class was named kalvari,khanderi,karanj,Kursura the older Foxtrot Subs ..The new ones might be named the same too the last two subs might be named something new .

@ezsasa Not there is no world called Vela in tamil @Vijyes Velam means jaggery in tamil and also floods are called velam too nothing related to fishing ..

http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...ri-this-year-rear-admiral-mohit-gupta/515532/
I know....
It was a pun on a word I used to hear while studying in chennai . It rhymed with “vellei”... I was hoping you would know it.

INS vela is name of a old sub by the same name. Decommissioned in 2010 as per WIKI.

Vela is also the name of a constellation, it means “the sails”.

Khagesh

I doubt it will ever happen. Naval Group is going to offer a battery upgrade to swap the lead-acid with a solid state battery that will be ten times cheaper and offer 4X the power and recharge rates. At that point AIP becomes obsolete. Australians already see this in the Shortfin Barracuda offer which is why they no longer required AIP as a condition.
I personally cannot doubt that Naval Group has this tech ready. But I would doubt that this will not be handed over to the chinese using the ruse of a renegade employee.

Chances are the current govt and all future govts would have learnt their lessons by now from the last leak episode.

In fact the DRDO AIP was to be fitted initially to only the last 2 Scorpenes. Now if somebody has found the courage to float this proposal of fitting out DRDO AIP to all the Scorpenes then it implies that they are thinking in a tangential direction to your needs.

Most likely this fitment is being suggested to manage the noise profile (under Indian controls), over and above the the obvious benefit of longer dive durations.

Though I agree it would be too early to say much because the import lobby is too strong in India. But hell you cannot deny the possibility of what I am saying, either. :)

Reactions: Kay

binayak95

Country flag
The problem with fitting DRDO developed AIPs is that this will occur only when the subs come in for a refit/upgrade after ten odd years of service. The initial plan was to fit the AIP into the last two boats while they were being built, but the development time has overrun that time frame. So, now all the subs will have AIP installed during their first refit.

In the meantime, make do with diesel-electric and the one-time use AIP already installed (in case you run into serious heat)

Shashwat

Country flag
I hope GOI orders 3 more subs and this time with DRDO AIP, that will ensure work for MDL and will help retain talent. On top of that new subs will ensure proper integration with DRDO AIP.

BTW is DRDO AIP ready or still under development?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I personally cannot doubt that Naval Group has this tech ready. But I would doubt that this will not be handed over to the chinese using the ruse of a renegade employee.

Chances are the current govt and all future govts would have learnt their lessons by now from the last leak episode.

In fact the DRDO AIP was to be fitted initially to only the last 2 Scorpenes. Now if somebody has found the courage to float this proposal of fitting out DRDO AIP to all the Scorpenes then it implies that they are thinking in a tangential direction to your needs.

Most likely this fitment is being suggested to manage the noise profile (under Indian controls), over and above the the obvious benefit of longer dive durations.

Though I agree it would be too early to say much because the import lobby is too strong in India. But hell you cannot deny the possibility of what I am saying, either. :)
The work on the batteries is coming from Saft Groupe. Chinese have industriale espionage all over the world and working on their own graphene batteries. So far the ones they sell are a scam.

The leak was perpetrated by Japanese agents to interrupt the Australian sub competition.

The problem of adding any AIP is the total reconstruction of the hull with a new section added. To do this is very expensive. To pull out lead acid batteries, which would need replacement anyway, and substitute the new Saft batteries would not require any hull modification. A new MTU and upgrade to the power converter would make it ready to go.

However quiet DRDO might get its new AIP system, it will never be more silent than batteries. The leaked documents were early designs from 2003 while Navantia was still on the project. All of their attributes have been stripped out and anything that was learned from sea trials has been changed. The new power afforded by new batteries will change most of its profiles, an AIP will not.

sorcerer

Country flag
Third Scorpene Submarine INS Karanj soon to sail out for trials

Mumbai based Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders have confirmed that fabrication work on the third Scorpene Submarine is completed and the vessel is undergoing final touch up.

The 3rd Submarine has been named 'INS Karanj'. The Submarine INS Karanj will be ready for launch before the end of 2017.

Construction on the remaining three submarines is under full-swing. All three submarines are currently being outfitted with the hull and other command and control systems. Delivery of each submarine will happen at a successive rate of one submarine every nine months.

The construction of all Submarines will be completed by 2020.

The first Scorpene Submarine is ready for active deterrent patrol of the vast Indian Ocean and the second is undergoing weapons trials.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

here is the news ,

First Scorpene-class submarine Kalvari is
expected to be commissioned by November-

Global Defence

Articles