In Mumbai, 'Chhota Pakistan' on electricity bills causes controversy

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Chhota or Little Pakistan is what a nondescript grimy slum area in Nalla Sopara near Mumbai is called on electricity bills generated by the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution company.

This shocker came to light when locals submitted these power bills as proof for unique identification or Adhaar cards, being issued to all Indians.

"It hurts us. We are Hindustanis, not Pakistanis," says Haji Yakub, a local resident.

Another area here in Nalla Sopara which falls in Thane District is called Laden Nagar - a reference perhaps to the terrorist Osama Bin Laden.
    The electricity bill of Ramzan Mohammad Hafiz, who resides in Sagar Welfare Society, states his address as Laden Nagar. He says he has complained several times, but with no results.

The papers he submitted in 2007 for the electricity connection for his home show his address as Laxmi Nagar - the actual name of the area.

"I have friends in Maharashtra State Electricity Board (MSEB). They laugh at me when I show them the bill," he says.

Mr Hafiz says there is a story why this patch between Santosh Nagar and the Western Express highway came to be called Chhota Pakistan. "There used to be tension between the builder mafia and the local police here. That's why the cops started calling it Chhota Pakistan," he says.

Chaya Patil, a local corporator, brought this shocking lapse of the electricity department to the attention of the collector.

"An electricity bill is the official document. Who is responsible for these bills that have Chhota Pakistan written in their address box? Why brand the locality just because it is dominated by Muslims?" she says.

Officials of the Maharashtra Electricity company - Mahavitaran - have no answer for this.

When NDTV tried to question Subhash Bodhre, an officer with the state electricity company, he said, "I have no right to speak. This connection is of 2007 and I don't know about it."

The State Minorities Commission has asked the MSEB to probe the "serious lapse" of terming the area Chhota Pakistan on its bills.

"This is a serious matter. Please inquire into it and inform the Commission about your findings," State Minority Commission Chairman Munaf Hakim said in a letter to the MSEB chief. "Let us know at what level did the directive to term the area as 'Chhota Pakistan' emanated," the letter said.

In Mumbai, 'Chhota Pakistan' on electricity bills causes controversy | NDTV.com

3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Whoa :O

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

4. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Re: In Mumbai, 'Chhota Pakistan' on electricity bills causes controver

chota pakistan:rofl::rofl::rofl:

remind me of ""Chota chatri"" of movie awara pagala devana:lol::lol::lol:

5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

"sikular" govt of congress ?

the people behind this must be punished.

6. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

And here it is

[​IMG]

7. Ankit Purohit

Ankit Purohit Senior Member Senior Member

any Coment From Zahil Homo Hamid :rofl:

8. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Shocking really to have it on official document.

But it's true that many Muslim dominated areas are unificially called Pakistan in many places. Indian Muslims have to keep bearing the cost of those who left and formed their own country.

BTW in my student days the only place we called Pakistan was the Toilet!

Keshav Murali, maomao, Neil and 6 others like this.
  9. Shirman

Shirman Regular Member

I don't know weather to laugh or to cry with laughter :rofl::laugh::rotflmao:

But the days of calling a muslim majority place as PAKISTAN r seriously gone. Now muslims get angry if They r called as BANGLADESHIS in Mumbai:sad:.........i don't know but it really irks them like hell.:mad:

10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Off course it will irk any Muslim. Nothing funny at all in that.

11. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Jai Ambe chawl...Chotta Pakistan...some one has a good humor though...:lol:

12. Raj30

Raj30 Senior Member Senior Member

This ‘Bangladesh’ houses rural Maharashtrians - The Times of India

MUMBAI: A settlement in Bhayander (W), named as 'Bangladesh zopadpatti' on government documents, has recently come to light. Interestingly, the slum has been carrying the name for over 35 years and is occupied mostly by people from the interiors of Maharashtra.

Civic officials and residents of the slum, however, have not found anything objectionable in the use of the word 'Bangladesh' while referring to the locality. Two other 'Bangladesh' exist in Utan and Chowk villages of Bhayander (W). Here too, the occupants are from rural Maharashtra and have
    been staying in the locality post-Independence.

Last month, the mention of 'Chhota Pakistan' in the electricity bills of the residents of Santosh Bhuvan in Nalasopara (E) had led to uproar in the Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation ( VVMC) general body meeting.

The 'Bangladesh' came to light when the health department of the Mira Bhayander Municipal Corporation ( MBMC) issued a birth certificate last month to a resident of a Gandhinagar slum, near the Subhash Chandra Bose ground in Bhayander (W). The 700-odd hutments have been in existence since the past 35 years. The slums here have names like Ambedkar Nagar, Bholanagar and Anandnagar.

Over 4,000 people reside in the hutment and have ration cards, Unique Identification ( UID) cards, PAN cards all carrying the address with the word 'Bangladesh'. Said Leo Colasao, Mira-Bhayander district president of Congress, "The occupants of the slums are from Amravati, Yavatmal, Nanded and other districts of Maharashtra. No one knows how these places came to be referred to as Bangladesh. No one has ever raised any objection."

Residents say that no Bangladesh national lives in any of these slums. A number of illegal Bangladeshis, however, have been fished out of various hutments in Mira-Bhayander.

Civic officials said that the term Bangladesh was being used even before the municipality came into existence. Officials said that no objections were ever raised by the residents of these slums. A few corporators have now hinted at taking up the issue in the civic house

13. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

you believe it or not.whether it is an coincidence or whatever..i will even try to find a photo if available

someone in my college had written "Hindustan" on toilets door..it was there for more than an year before the doors were repainted.

14. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

Strange though here in pakistan if a place by mistake is even named india/hindustan.be it chota or bara..no one will dare to live in the place of the image being disturbed...here if anyone is called hindustan..i am sure either he will kill himself or the person

though people from india through facebook(bannu page in facebook) told me here in delhi there are towns one is named derawall(people left after migration from dera ismail khan) and bannuwall(people left after migration from BANNU)

15. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

16. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

So?

We certainly have no problem with Pashtun or Pathan names in India. By some estimates, there are even 1 million Pathans living in India, of both KPK and Afghan origin.

And places in Pakistan have certainly had Hindu or Sikh names, until your desultory Islamocentric agenda for 'nation-building' resulted in them being changed to become more Perso-Arabesque. Here are some examples:

Traditional Name - Present-Day Name

Pushpapur Peshawar
    Nahrankot Hyderabad
    Pushkalavati Charsadda
    Van Radha Ram Habibkot
    Ganesh Ganesh
    Kusavati Kasur
    Hindu Bagh (Balochistan) Muslim Bagh

Vithastha Nadi (River) Jhelum River
    KishanGanga River Neelum River
    Iravati River Ravi River
    Suvastu River Swat River
    Sindhu River Indus River
    Saraswati River Hakra River
    Chandrabhaga River Chenab River

Perhaps, one of the few names that has abided is Lahore: which was named after the mythological Luv, son of Ram.

17. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Bhivandi is called mini Pakistan.

Suresh Khopade - I.P.S

afako likes this.
  18. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

PrayagRaj Allahabad.

If Lalu has his ways, Patna will become Azimabad.

19. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Prayag Raj Allahabad.

If Lalu has his ways, Patna will become Azimabad.

20. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

You are the one who come first to oppose sickular word but unfortunately congress made yourself to use that word,people are selfish and admit only if it affects their group ?

21. afako

afako Regular Member

Abu Azmi is elected from there.