In exclusive deal, India to get ‘Most Advanced’ F-16 fighter jets by 2019-20

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
New Delhi, July 11:

US defence major Lockheed Martin has firmed up its plans to produce the latest version of its iconic F-16 fighter jets only in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme.

The multi-billion dollar deal was “finalised” during the recent visit of Lockheed Martin’s Chairman, President and CEO Marillyn Hewson here last week, a top official, involved in the talks, told BusinessLine.

‘Exclusively’ in India

Under the deal, the company will be manufacturing the latest version of the jets – F-16 Block 70/72 – that will be produced “exclusively” in India.

This will be the “most advanced” version and will not be built anywhere else in the world. Lockheed Martin also plans to export them from the India plant at a later stage, the official said. The F-16 project is a government-to-government deal that will be conducted through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route.

However, it seems Lockheed Martin has no plans to take the 100 per cent foreign direct investment route for the programme. It is likely to co-produce the F-16s in collaboration with the Tata Advanced Systems Ltd., which has been its partner for other defence and aerospace programmes such as the C-130 cargo plane.

The Maryland-based firm is currently scouting for land to set up its manufacturing unit. According to sources, it is looking to set up the plant in a State that will have a runway near a port.

India had long been demanding that the F-16s it buys will have to be more advanced than what is sold to neighbouring Pakistan.

However, with the recent push on India-US defence ties, talks on setting up the F-16 plant in India have steadily progressed. The deal was “almost finalised” when Prime Minister Narendra Modi had visited Washington last month.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...16-fighter-jets-by-201920/article8835851.ece#

Any idea what the specs of the F-16 Blk 70/72 are? There's some gen I found on the net. Is this what the blk 70/72 would look like? Pretty sexy huh? :)

smestarz

Country flag
I dont think F-16 has such a ,model or development, This at most can be an experimental plane flown for DARPA, Rather this seems like work of art specially about the wing which is very similar to fan art by some artist who were trying to put their version of PAKFA.. the wing is very similar to that

New Delhi, July 11:

US defence major Lockheed Martin has firmed up its plans to produce the latest version of its iconic F-16 fighter jets only in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme.

The multi-billion dollar deal was “finalised” during the recent visit of Lockheed Martin’s Chairman, President and CEO Marillyn Hewson here last week, a top official, involved in the talks, told BusinessLine.

‘Exclusively’ in India

Under the deal, the company will be manufacturing the latest version of the jets – F-16 Block 70/72 – that will be produced “exclusively” in India.

This will be the “most advanced” version and will not be built anywhere else in the world. Lockheed Martin also plans to export them from the India plant at a later stage, the official said. The F-16 project is a government-to-government deal that will be conducted through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route.

However, it seems Lockheed Martin has no plans to take the 100 per cent foreign direct investment route for the programme. It is likely to co-produce the F-16s in collaboration with the Tata Advanced Systems Ltd., which has been its partner for other defence and aerospace programmes such as the C-130 cargo plane.

The Maryland-based firm is currently scouting for land to set up its manufacturing unit. According to sources, it is looking to set up the plant in a State that will have a runway near a port.

India had long been demanding that the F-16s it buys will have to be more advanced than what is sold to neighbouring Pakistan.

However, with the recent push on India-US defence ties, talks on setting up the F-16 plant in India have steadily progressed. The deal was “almost finalised” when Prime Minister Narendra Modi had visited Washington last month.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...16-fighter-jets-by-201920/article8835851.ece#

Any idea what the specs of the F-16 Blk 70/72 are? There's some gen I found on the net. Is this what the blk 70/72 would look like? Pretty sexy huh? :)

Swaraj

so thanks to Modi, America is going to sell it's junk to us.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
example ? .
Leonardo Finmeccanica, Westland Deal and Famous one is case of Damad Shree. :biggrin2:
I don't say BJP is good but less pathetic than lefts. They have reduced defense imports from 75% to 60% and further will be doing to 30& in 5 years (tech of these fighter will be copied).
एक *मंदबुद्धि* बालक,
उसकी *विधवा* माँ,
*गरीब* बेटी और
एक *बेरोजगार जमाई*

ऐसे *दुःखी परिवार* को सताते हुए
*भाजपाइयों* को शर्म नहीं आती ??
:pound:

Swaraj

Leonardo Finmeccanica, Westland Deal and Famous one is case of Damad Shree. :biggrin2:
I don't say BJP is good but less pathetic than lefts. They have reduced defense imports from 75% to 60% and further will be doing to 30& in 5 years (tech of these fighter will be copied).
एक *मंदबुद्धि* बालक,
उसकी *विधवा* माँ,
*गरीब* बेटी और
एक *बेरोजगार जमाई*

ऐसे *दुःखी परिवार* को सताते हुए
*भाजपाइयों* को शर्म नहीं आती ??
:pound:
well, i agree BJP >>>>>>> Kongress

smestarz

Country flag
I do not think we shall be going for F-16,, one white painted ambassador car was used for parliament attack, imagine we using F-16 which PAF already has..That will be like giving knife to the monkey

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I do not think we shall be going for F-16,, one white painted ambassador car was used for parliament attack, imagine we using F-16 which PAF already has..That will be like giving knife to the monkey
I can understand but we are getting better version(but must not accept without ToT).

smestarz

Country flag
Let us assume some facts,
NO VERSION OF F-16..(block 52 to Block 70) will be cheap as Tejas.
The areas where we are far behind the developed countries is
a) Engine
b) Avionics
c) Imagination of designs and ability to develop and create bleeding/cutting edge technology.

The first two points need a push, perhaps its America or Russia, I doubt france can really help, their main focus is just to sell planes, always has been,

Russians also want to sell planes, but they are at present sanctioned by Europe and USA and so their best bet is India and China. The Chinese have already shown they can develop planes like J-20 and J-31 on their own and copy shamelessly from Russia if wanted to, but India has always shown respect to Russia for its tech and have not gone and copied products.

F-16 Block 70 is most advanced, but then twin engine planes are more reliable, and India should go for twin engined plane.. If they can make F-16 twin engine plane with two smaller engine whose thrust is more than the present engine it uses, I would really change my opinion to favour F-16. but with single engine, Not at all

Just to remind the folks again,, I prefer India go for either Su-30 MKI or Su-35 or MiG-29 or MiG-35 mainly due to commonality of parts and now India DM already solved the issue of spares by putting a system where the spares arrive at a very short notice. This in a way has already improved the availability rate of Su-30 MKI that now the "chair marshalls" of IAF are dumb struck as to how to approach the DM to try and push for rafale..

I can understand but we are getting better version(but must not accept without ToT).

no smoking

Country flag
c) Imagination of designs and ability to develop and create bleeding/cutting edge technology.
Imagination? No, your scientists are not short of that. What they lack is ages of basic R&D, theory development and projects experience. Without all these, their imagination is no better than any plane drew by fifteen years old kid, looks beautiful but not achievable.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
so thanks to Modi, America is going to sell it's junk to us.
If this is the cost of turbofan tech that we desperately need for AMCA then all ok. If not at least it will effectively neutralize PAF for decades.

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I really can't believe this news !!! Is it true ?

It may be a rumor to pressurize French for 36 ac deal.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles