IMPORTANT: Jammu and Kashmir removed from list of UN disputes

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Betwa Sharma United Nations, Nov 14 (PTI)

In a significant development, Jammu and Kashmir has been removed from the UN list of unresolved disputes, giving a setback to Pakistan which has been asking the world body to intervene on the issue.The omission of Jammu and Kashmir from a list of disputes under the observation of the UN Security Council was noticed by Pakistan whose envoy has lodged a protest."Jammu and Kashmir dispute was not mentioned in the context of unresolved long-running situations," said Amjad Hussain B Sial, Pakistan' acting envoy to the UN."We understand this was an inadvertent omission, as Jammu and Kashmir is one of the oldest disputes on agenda of the Security Council," he added.Sial was speaking at the UN General Assembly session, which was discussing the functioning and reform of the Security Council. It was organised by the UK that holds the presidency of the Security Council this month.Pakistan has been asking the UN to intervene to help resolve the issue but India has always maintained that it has to be resolved bilaterally between the two countries.

http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfe...ed-from-list-of-disputes-under-un/498960.html

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
Good news but at this point of time I am not sure if this is temporary or permanent. If permanent then it is the good thing.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Pakistanis are not amused!

Rage

DFI TEAM
You know, this is the problem with Pakistan. They're such a weak, pitiful nation that they have to resort to others to fight their battles.

China, with respect to development and arms; the United States with respect to Afghanistan; heck even Sri Lanka with respect to the Palk straits.

Now, that India is moving toward a UNSC seat, they've even been demanding a position "for the Organization of Islamic Conference for adequate representation of Muslim Ummah", whatever that is, in the Security Council.

So what now you rat-hole? What are you gonna do, now that your int'l sugardaddy, the UN has 'inadvertently' managed to miss out on including the Kashmir conflict?

They key question is though: was the omission inadvertent? Or was this the result of some diplomacy?

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Pakistan has objected to the exclusion of Kashmir from a list of disputes under the observation of the Security Council as mentioned by the UK's top diplomat in an annual debate on UNSC reforms in United Nations. UK holds the presidency of UNSC this month. "Jammu and Kashmir dispute was not

mentioned in the context of unresolved long-running situations," said Amjad Hussain B Sial, Pakistan's acting envoy to UN, told the General Assembly, where the debate was held.
"We understand this was an inadvertent omission, as Jammu and Kashmir is one of the oldest disputes on agenda of the Security Council," he added.

Pakistan has been asking the UN to intervene to help resolve the issue but India has always maintained that it has to be resolved bilaterally between the two countries.

bhramos

Country flag
Jammu and Kashmir out of U.N. list of disputes

Jammu and Kashmir has been removed from the United Nations list of unresolved disputes, in a setback to Pakistan which has been asking the world body to intervene on the issue.

The omission of Jammu and Kashmir from the list of disputes under the observation of the Security Council was noticed by Pakistan, whose envoy has filed a protest.

"The Jammu and Kashmir dispute was not mentioned in the context of unresolved long-running situations," Pakistan's acting envoy to the U.N. Amjad Hussain B Sial said. "We understand this was an inadvertent omission, as Jammu and Kashmir is one of the oldest disputes on the agenda of the Security Council," he said, speaking at the General Assembly session, which was discussing the functioning and reform of the Security Council.

It was organised by the U.K., which holds the presidency of the Security Council this month.

Pakistan has been asking the U.N. to intervene to help resolve the issue, but India has always maintained that the dispute has to be resolved bilaterally.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article886480.ece

Good News :emot112::emot112::happy_8:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Inadvertent? Pakistanis are delluding themselves if they think it was an overlook. God they must be smarting from this. UN will forget Kashmir as a dispute soon. No one remembers Tibet do they?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
This is direct kick to unmentionable part oooooooouuuuuuuuuccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhh :D

Rage

DFI TEAM
Inadvertent? Pakistanis are delluding themselves if they think it was an overlook. God they must be smarting from this. UN will forget Kashmir as a dispute soon. No one remembers Tibet do they?

I won't be surprised if the UN backtracks on this one, some 'official oversight' or what not.

If it doesn't, I will have garnered a newfound respect for the Foreign Off. corps.

Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I won't be surprised if the UN backtracks on this one, some 'official oversight' or what not.

If it doesn't, I will have garnered a newfound respect for the Foreign Off. corps.

Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Oh if they back track now it will further erode its credibility. I mean an issue that has been kept on the boil by the pakistanis in the UN for 60 years cannot just vanish from the list can it. I mean its been kept as prominent as the palestine issue by the pakistanis. So I really doubt if it was inadvertent. It has to be a deliberate action due to some smart work by our Babus.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If UN backtracks, then it would be so because there was a genuine error.

If the UN maintains the position, it means that there is a shift in the UN position, backed by 4 of the 5 UNSC members at the least. Possibly, they have also pulled China into the whole issue, tugging and kicking with some sop or the others.

It means that the US view of geostrategic situation in South Asia is changing, duly supported by the Big 4.

All this flurry of PMs and Presidents visiting India one after the other does indicate something is up. Even Hu is visiting India!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir do you think that a (non) issue like Kashmir would have been left out due to clerical error? I don't think so, I think the only way the UN will back track if at all is by pakistanis playing the afghan card again with the US. Interesting time ahead at the UN.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Not sure if something is up but I definitely want to know if this omission is good for us in any ways.

S.A.T.A

If the omission is not an oversight as cliamed by the Pakistani official,then it marks another crucial shift(of the many shifts that have taken places,albeit at a glacial pace)in India's international standing and how we stand to be reckoned among the comity of world powers.If it is so,its not too bad.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Not sure if something is up but I definitely want to know if this omission is good for us in any ways.
Off course it is. It becomes a non issue that is always was. It sets right the wrong Nehru did by taking the matter to the UN. Pakistan will be left sulking and licking its wounds and running to the US with a bucket full of tears in one hand and and a threat of terror in afghanistan in the other.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
if its is true(it should be true) then i will say its because of (Present) cunning policy of Pakistan to hand over POK to China, linking Kashmir to Afghanistan, International recognition to the fact that Pakistan has been sponsoring terrorism against India, (Past) condition for plebicide not respected by Pakistan, endorsement by all it as a bilateral issue since after Simla accord.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
I am quite am surprised that no Pakistani media is flashing this news,I mean its quite a big news.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Pak protests Kashmir deletion on UNSC
India Blooms News Service
New York, Nov 15 (IBNS) Pakistan has protested the non- mentioning of "Kashmir dispute" in the context of unresolved long-running situations in the United Nations Security Council's Report to the General Assembly, reported Pakistan-based daily The Nation on Sunday.

Pakistan said the UNSC has to recalibrate its efforts in conflict prevention and take more recourse to pacific settlement of disputes.

The paper said Ambassador Amjad Hussain B. Sial, Acting Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the United Nations, has conveyed his concern to the UNSC.

"This is particularly important in cases of inter-state conflicts. Major unresolved issues, including the issue of Jammu and Kashmir are on the agenda of the Security Council, awaiting settlement for a long time. Even in the case of issues that are routinely discussed --- like the Palestine issue, the Council seems to have abdicated its role to individual countries or informal groupings. It needs to redress this to effectively discharge its responsibilities of maintaining international peace and security," he said.

"We understand this was an inadvertent omission, as Jammu and Kashmir is one of the oldest disputes on agenda of the Security Council," he said.

Pakistan has persistently internationalized the Kashmir issue and drawn the attention of United Nations, a move India has always tried to thwart.

It has also urged the United States to mediate on the Kashmir problem, but the USA, with growing economic ties with India, has rejected the proposal and called it a bilateral issue between India and Pakistan.

http://www.indiablooms.com/NewsDetailsPage/newsDetails151110f.php

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am quite am surprised that no Pakistani media is flashing this news,I mean its quite a big news.

Must be too embarrassing for them.

They already are failing in all spheres.

Kashmir is their last bastion against India and if that is also a no go, then what is Pakistan to live for?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles