Impersonators held in rape case

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by pmaitra, Feb 19, 2012.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Impersonators held in rape case

Telegraph, Calcutta, India
    Sunday , February 19 , 2012

[​IMG]

Calcutta, Feb. 18: Two youths, Sumit Bajaj (21) and Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan alias Tussi (25), were arrested today in connection with the rape of a 37-year-old woman in a car on the night of February 5 as police revealed that they had impersonated the men named by the victim in her complaint.

“The other people involved in the case, including the person who had raped the woman, are on the run,” Damayanti Sen, joint commissioner of police (crime), said at a news conference this evening.

Late at night, Lalbazar sources said a man named Kader had been identified as the alleged rapist. His name had earlier been linked to a one-hit Tollywood actress. The sources said another person, Naser, had been detained.

The car, a silver Honda City belonging to Bajaj, has been seized and will be sent for forensic tests.

The police have learnt that Bajaj, the son of a businessman, is a resident of Gariahat and that Khan lives in Beniapukur and has a leather business and a family-owned shop. “They were arrested when they were on their way to Howrah station in an attempt to flee Calcutta,” Sen said.

In her complaint at the Park Street police station on February 9, the woman had said a man who identified himself as Lavi Gidwani and whom she met at Tantra, the nightclub at The Park hotel, had offered her a lift in his car early on February 6. One of Lavi’s friends, whom she named as Sharafat Ali, had also got into the car and raped her at gunpoint in the presence of a third friend, Azhar Ali, the complaint said.

“It was a case of impersonation as the men involved in the crime impersonated as Lavi, Sharafat and Azhar. But our investigations have revealed that these three people were not involved in the incident,” said Sen, giving a clean chit to the persons named in the complaint.

Although the police may have taken their time with the probe, they have ensured that the three youths named initially were not arrested and the alleged impersonators have been identified.

During the investigation, the police had found out that Lavi was in Canada since January 2 and that the cellphone tower locations showed Sharafat and Azhar were not on Park Street when the incident occurred.

Because of these inconsistencies, questions were raised about the veracity of the complaint made by the mother of two daughters. Chief minister Mamata Banerjee had described the entire incident as fabricated.

“The incident did take place and the woman was raped,” Damayanti Sen said today. Asked if rape was confirmed, the officer said: “Yes…. In this case the victim’s statement is the most important.”

“Medical report is not always mandatory,” Sen said, adding that the arrested duo had also confirmed that one of their friends did rape the complainant.

Speaking to STAR Ananda after the joint commissioner’s news conference, the victim said: “I fought this battle and I have been successful. It is a victory in all aspects. I got a lot of support from my family and friends. And also from the women of the city.

“After this, I hope all girls will come forward with their complaints. If they do, then Calcutta will be a safer place.”

The police are yet to find the gun allegedly used to terrorise the woman.

According to the police, Khan visited the same Entally gymnasium as Sharafat, Azhar and Lavi. “Khan and Bajaj and the other people in their group have the habit of befriending women at nightclubs… But they never gave out their original names. They used to give out the names of people they knew,” said Sen. “Khan, Bajaj and others in the group would occasionally come across Lavi and his friends in nightclubs….”

The police also found out that the culprits resembled Sharafat and Azhar, which may explain why the woman who checked their pictures on Facebook insisted the two were involved.

“I did not make the names up. These were the names they told me when they met me at Tantra. But I want to apologise to their families if they have been hurt,” the victim told STAR Ananda this evening.

Lavi told The Telegraph from Toronto: “I am relieved that my name has been cleared. The last 72 hours were very difficult. Now I can concentrate on my studies.”

Source: Impersonators held in rape case

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Well that is something good about Bengal and I hope Iamanidiot is noting.

Inspite of Mamata Bannerjee, the CM, claiming that the woman was fabricating the story and it is a political conspiracy, the Bengal Police disregarded that 'indicator' and instead pursued the case to bring the culprit to justice.

Maybe Iamanidiot would call the Police arrogant about being badraloks, the thing he finds so disgusting about Bengalis!

prahladh likes this.
  4. Ray

Officers chant unity, CP meets CM

[​IMG]
    Damayanti Sen, joint commissioner (crime), and Jawed Shamim, joint commissioner (headquarters), address the media at Writers’ Buildings on Monday.

Calcutta, Feb. 20: Chief minister Mamata Banerjee did not speak. Two joint commissioners of police did — that too from Writers’ Buildings.

The two senior officers, accompanied by the police commissioner, met the chief minister to underscore that the probe into the Park Street rape case was a “team effort” and that no split was showing in the Lalbazar ranks.

Joint commissioner (headquarters) Jawed Shamim and joint commissioner (crime) Damayanti Sen stepped out of the 30-minute meeting and, in a rare move, addressed a media conference at Writers’ Buildings to say it was “a Calcutta police tradition” to work “unitedly” and that is what they have been doing in the past few days, under “no pressure”.

“A certain twist is being given to portray as if there is some groupism in place… and, therefore, it’s necessary to clarify that Calcutta police works as a united group where no decision is taken individually. That’s been the tradition…. We work unitedly under the commissioner of police,” Shamim said.

Sen, who has been heading the probe into the rape of a 37-year-old woman on Park Street as the head of the detective department, was even more categorical.

“It’s being portrayed as if it is an individual effort but it’s about the entire organisation for which I work. The detective department has cracked the case and it’s not any individual effort. It’s always a collective decision,” she said. “The investigation is getting hampered because of all this. We are yet to arrest some more culprits. So we had sought a meeting with the chief minister today and clarified the matter.”

Shamim, a year senior to her in the IPS cadre and a former head of the detective department, said he was at Writers’ with her because “my name too has been dragged in certain quarters”.

[​IMG]
    Police commissioner RK Pachnanda leaves after meeting the chief minister.

Commissioner R.K. Pachnanda and special commissioner Shibaji Ghosh, who were part of the meeting with Mamata, stayed back for another round of talks. By the time the commissioner had met the chief minister twice, and also the chief secretary and home secretary, Writers’ was abuzz with speculation of him “being asked to go on leave” or “step down”.

However, a senior Writers’ official and a senior officer in Lalbazar later told The Telegraph that as of now, the commissioner had been asked to do neither.

Suggestions were also made that the officers addressed the media under pressure from the government. However, sources close to the officers insisted it was their personal decision after reports appeared that individual officers had withstood pressure from the top and pressed ahead with the investigation into the rape case.

Lalbazar sources said the chief minister had sought “clarifications” from the police officers about the Park Street probe and the evidence gathered against the impersonators who had allegedly assaulted and raped the lady on the night of February 5.

Sen and Shamim, being “the officers handling the probe”, briefed the chief minister.

While leaving Writers’ this evening, Mamata dubbed the meeting routine. “Do I have to brief you even about routine meetings?” she told reporters, after getting into her car.

Late tonight, government sources said the chief minister was likely to visit the victim “soon”.

The police chief had left Writers’ around two hours earlier, at 4.30pm, without saying a word.

The chief minister had termed the rape complaint at Park Street police station a fabrication the day it became known. “This is five-day-old news. It is a conspiracy. Police had immediately taken action,” Mamata had said on Wednesday.

“The incident has been concocted to malign the government. The probe will reveal everything,” she added on Thursday.

Later that day, the commissioner told a media conference: “It is incorrect to spread misinformation and criticise the government and the police.”

But the probe soon revealed a case of impersonation and assault. On Saturday, when Sen confirmed “rape”, the chief minister found herself in the line of fire for jumping the gun and the police commissioner was accused of parroting her line.

It was alleged that Sen may have had to defy some of her superiors in carrying out an impartial probe. The officer sought to clear the air today at Writers’, Shamim by her side.

A senior officer said Lalbazar had rarely seen such a closing of ranks.

“This idea of groupism is totally misleading and that’s why we sought an appointment with the chief minister. She met us and we also had a discussion about the case in detail,” Shamim said.

Cops indicted

Two sub-inspectors of Park Street police station have been found guilty of being insensitive towards the victim when she went there after lodging the complaint. The two, Saikat Neogi and Manish Singh, are likely to be withdrawn from duty.

Mamata mum, police parade

pmaitra likes this.
  5. pmaitra

^^

Good article, however, the police has never been completely free of political influence and has often been used as a political tool. I am pretty sure not all policemen vote for the same party. However, as long as there is unity in action and professionalism, it must be lauded.

6. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

but, there is not a single word of praise from the CM for the officers who cracked the most complex case. The TMC chamcha news paper is still searching for loopholes. for twodays before the case solved they used their full strength to prove how bad the lady was.

7. pmaitra

I agree, the entire Anandabazar/Telegraph family is indeed TMC Chamcha, but they are much better than Ganashakti. The TMC chamcha newspaper that I think is the same category as Ganashakti is Protidin.

8. Ray

That is because the CM feels that she alone knows how to build Bengal and that she is in the grip of things and knows exactly what is happening around.

An egotistical person, who revels in micromanagement.

Possibly she does not trust anyone and feels no one has the political intuition as she!

9. debasree

debasree Regular Member

i think this incidents sevearly dameged the credility of tmc govt in w b

10. pmaitra

Mamata lost credibility the Tata Nano left SIngur and it was reinforced after Gyaneshwari accident. Said that, there are, and were, many good people in TMC.

11. Ray

The problem is that Mamata Bannerjee to get out of every difficult situation claims it is a 'political conspiracy'.

She did it also for the Gyaneswari train accident. She was proved wrong. She said it for some other train accident. She was proved wrong. She has claimed the same for this Rape incident. And she has been proved wrong.

People may have believed her once, but now it has become a case of crying wolf, one to many times.

She is losing, if not has lost, credibility.

And her political and populist actions which at first appeared a change, is now turning out to cosmetic gimmicks aimed at fooling the people!

The people who were fed up of the goons of the Left are finding there is no change in the goon gardi. The goons remain, the only difference is the colour. From Red the same chaps are wearing the Green!

And worse is that fat toad with a Frenchie who is her favourite sidekick and the Mad-on Mitra dada (Hindi meaning!)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012