If we've to choose between Israel and Iran, choose the former

If India had to choose between Iran and Israel, what should India do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmaitra

Such a great question . Iran is a terrorist entity and this new bombing in Delhi, I tell ya- i don't how you guys( govt too) are not hopping mad. They came and pissed in your backyard, treated your country like some punks.

anyways- playing devil's advocate. You need their ports, they are the ONLY way I'm told to Afghanistan and central Asia w/o Pakistan or china being engaged. . You need Iran geographically.
I'd rather support Baloch Nationalists and help them get independence from Pakistan than annoy Iran. Iran hasn't harmed India. Now that is one way to get to Afghanistan.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I'd rather support Baloch Nationalists and help them get independence from Pakistan than annoy Iran. Iran hasn't harmed India. Now that is one way to get to Afghanistan.
I bet even iranians would be excited about not having pakis as neighbours :rofl:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Truly speaking Iranians would be pissed off if we started meddling in Balochistan. Because once the Pakistani part is taken care of, the next target of the Baloch nationalists is Sistan baluchestan province in Iran.

Balochistan is a joint killing field between Pakistan and Iran.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Fence sitting would be to vote for abstain. Saying both is not fence sitting...its like asking you which is imp your country or your religion ? naturally both for you.
That is possible now because we are relatively an international nobody. Our vote doesnt make or break anything. Grow in stature and try doing that.

Now from israel we get military tech which is crucial and there are not many other options while from iran we get oil and gas. If this was the only criterior to choose then i would pick israel since we can get oil and gas from others also while there are not many other countries to choose when it comes to military tech. But these are not the only options because iran also provides us a link to afghanistan and further into central asia and this balances it and because of this iran becomes equally imp for us. If we had pok then it would be israel but we dont have pok.
the difference is what happens in Afghanistan and Central Asia (where iran comes into play) are not that important as our defence preparedness in our borders itself !. This latter part is where Israel comes into play.

And add to the usefulness of the incredible Israeli lobby in Washington.

Both countries are important, but if it comes to one whom will you chose is the question. I will chose Israel because even without influencing Afghanistan or Central Asia we can still be a strong military power with secure borders, but the reverse is not true.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
That is possible now because we are relatively an international nobody. Our vote doesnt make or break anything. Grow in stature and try doing that.

the difference is what happens in Afghanistan and Central Asia (where iran comes into play) are not that important as our defence preparedness in our borders itself !. This latter part is where Israel comes into play.

And add to the usefulness of the incredible Israeli lobby in Washington.

Both countries are important, but if it comes to one whom will you chose is the question. I will chose Israel because even without influencing Afghanistan or Central Asia we can still be a strong military power with secure borders, but the reverse is not true.
after a couple of decades would we be dependent on israeli military tech ? I dont think so. How much would we be making ourselves ? Guess what we'll need access to central asia more in the future than we need now because our energy deamands would increase many fold.

strategies are made taking into account not just the present but also the distant future.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
after a couple of decades would we be dependent on israeli military tech ? I dont think so. How much would we be making ourselves ? Guess what we'll need access to central asia more in the future than we need now because our energy deamands would increase many fold.

strategies are made taking into account not just the present but also the distant future.

You think the Ayatollah will be in power in the future for you to solidly place your bet on him? Or would you rather invest in the inevitable future Iran?

pmaitra

You think the Ayatollah will be in power in the future for you to solidly place your bet on him? Or would you rather invest in the inevitable future Iran?
Inevitable? Ain't that a bit Nostradamus-esque? What are the odds of USA not being able to afford any more wars? What about NATO members saying "No" to any more invasions given their economic situation? What about Russia and PRC throwing their weight behind Iran to create a stalemate?

Messiah has a point. I for one want access to Central Asia.

KS

Bye bye DFI

Couple of decades is too long a time.

I believe the time of choosing will be much sooner, before we have the know how of making hitech, cutting edge defence goods.

Atleast till then the value of Israel trumps that of Iran.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Messiah has a point. I for one want access to Central Asia.

I already said it earlier, invest in countries not regimes. Iran will still be there to cater to your central Asian access concerns but the current repressive regime is unlikely to survive long. (Grant me my Nostradamus moment )

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
We will be friednly with whoever is running iran

Thats the beauty of Indian handiwork :taunt:

pmaitra

I already said it earlier, invest in countries not regimes. Iran will still be there to cater to your central Asian access concerns but the current repressive regime is unlikely to survive long. (Grant me my Nostradamus moment )
And that is exactly what Messiah said (implied). Both of you are spot on!

We will be friednly with whoever is running iran

Thats the beauty of Indian handiwork :taunt:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Check viability of access to Central Asia.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
There is no access to central asia other than through iran.

pankaj nema

Country flag
There will never be an " either or situation " for us

Because if UN sanctions are NOT allowed by China and RUSSIA we cannot be blamed

War will happen and that too unilaterally like in case of Iraq

This Iranian regime is doomed

May be the next one will be more pragmatic

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is no access to central asia other than through iran.

Does not show the Work on the Chabahar-Milak-Zaranj-Dilaram road that India built joining Chahbahar with Afghanistan in Eastern Iran.

Turkmenistan is Sunni Muslim as is Eastern Iran.

Access through Iran will all depend on the attitude Turkmenistan will adopt towards Iran.

The Caspian Sea territorial boundaries is a cause of tension between the two. Iran's Islamic theocracy and Turkmenistan's secular dictatorship as a form of government also has prevented the development of a closer friendship.

Notwithstanding, Turkmenistan has no options but to have trade with Iran and through Iran!

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Choosing the wrong partner will be the second mistake; the first mistake will be allowing situation go that far. Sitting on the fence is not lack of decision; but a crafy move in international politics.

Iran and every country has the right to develop nuclear weapon until existing nuclear powers destroy their own stock pile. Blaming only Iran is hypocracy. If an unstable country like Pakistan can carry on with nuclear weapons and still getting Western weapons; F-16 from USA, SAM from Italy, Submarine from France then there is no logic in running behind Iran. Containment of Iran (supplier of more than 3% of oil and largest supplier of India) means more power to Saudi Arabia. It will be dangerous situtaion.

BTW, dont you think targetting scientists in Iran is also an act of terrorism? Then why there is no fuss about that?

India -Iran and India-Israel relation is not one way relation. Iran needs money ;we need oil. On the other hand we need sophisticated equipments and Israel needs customers with deep pocket. It will not possible for a small economy to continue development in that area without exporting a large portion of the products to offset development cost. They cant sell it to Arab countries and USA willl not permit to sell to China. So, India will remain their ideal customer.

Coming to the recent incident it is premature to point fingers to the state of Iran so soon. There are hundreds of non-state actors spread all over the world who consider Israel a threat. 150 people was killed by Kasab and Co; but West is still considering Pakistan an alley and they expect us to choose one btween Iran and Israel for an injured lady.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ yes, sweet and simple solution. :namaste:

Oh wait, its not that simple as long as terrorist state of Pakistan exists. :cry:

Adux

Country flag
Gents,

Think about it differently

Pakistan and Saudi Arabia is the real problem behind Islamic Terrorism is world over.

Pakistan has America by the balls due to its route to Afghanistan.

Now, imagine Iran has a regime change, de-nuclearized and is an American ally.

America has a new route to Afghanistan, American dependency on Pakistan goes.

America can and will get all help regarding Iran from Israel and all other GCC countries

Pakistan is fvcked beyond anything India can conjure up, if Iran is an American ally and India can even get boots on the ground in Afghanistan.

There is no reason to believe an American allied Iran will not become an Indian ally too.

The Game really changes. China and its ally Pakistan gets fvcked beyond anything.

Reactions: KS

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles