Identify possible indian military foreign base locations

AOE

jake: What small nations should the US stop 'interfering' with? Why would South Korea and Japan abandon the US when they've basically saved them from the Maoists and North Korea? Also where is your evidence they will collapse anytime soon? They have the highest GDP in the world, only country that is in the same league is the EU.

Also what would constitute 'caring' about India? You're beating around the bush on this point.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
jake: What small nations should the US stop 'interfering' with? Why would South Korea and Japan abandon the US when they've basically saved them from the Maoists and North Korea? Also where is your evidence they will collapse anytime soon? They have the highest GDP in the world, only country that is in the same league is the EU.

Also what would constitute 'caring' about India?
I am not saying they ll collapse but a rising China will marginalise them (in Western Pacific) in the coming decades.

And what i meant was US offered to help (or where thinking (indefinitely) of offering help ) to India not bbecause they cared about India or its democratic institution but because they wanted to contain the rise of Commies.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
We've already got one at Pine Gap! Put one at Bangalore instead lol

To anyone lacking a sense of humor; I was joking.
We need that base to bomb penguins in Antarctica!

AOE

We need that base to bomb penguins in Antarctica!
Those penguins are of strategic importance to the Australians and the US, we'll have the Russians set up a base there to counter your influence in Antarctica.

AOE

I am not saying they ll collapse but a rising China will marginalise them (in Western Pacific) in the coming decades.

And what i meant was US offered to help (or where thinking (indefinitely) of offering help ) to India not bbecause they cared about India or its democratic institution but because they wanted to contain the rise of Commies.
Yet again, what constitutes 'care'? You're not being clear what you mean.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The chances of us getting Diego Garcia anytime this half-century, or even in the whole century, are virtually nil. One thing you should learn from America's history is that it NEVER compromised on its interests. Not even in the 1700s, when it was of virtually no importance in the world. America rose to such prominence because it aggressively pursued its interests without regards to anyone else. Now compare that to India's "soft diplomacy" approach which aims at pacifying everyone and their dog. I'm not saying India's diplomatic approach is wrong, but we simply aren't going to manke any "hard" gains through such an approach. Maybe our approach will change as the balance of power shifts in our favour, and then we can discuss displacing America as the dominant power in the Indian Ocean (which, btw, I think should be a long-term strategic priority for India).

As for foreign bases, our priorities should be:

1) Tajikistan - to obtain access to Central Asian oil, counter Chinese influence in the region, and secure our northern flank. The main hurdles here include collision between Russian and Indian interests and the lack of a direct land route between India and Central Asia. The first problem can be solved through further diplomacy, the second by the eventual reunification of Kashmir.

2) Mauritius/Madagascar - as a base from which to exert influence in the southern Indian Ocean. This is exceptionally important due to our lack of access to Diego Garcia.

3) Mozambique - as a base to protect India's rapidly growing interests in East Africa.

4) Vietnam/Indonesia - to secure the strategic waterways of Malacca, and cooperate directly with ASEAN.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Navy:
Indian Ocean..
Arabian Sea..
Yellow sea..

Army:
Afghanistan
Bhutan

Air-force:
Central Asia..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
India needs a base on Socotra. It is probably the most prime piece of military real-estate available.

SHASH2K2

As per me our immediate interest should be to setup a base in Afghanistan and Vietnam . For future we should be looking to set up our bases in Africa as thats the place where future power struggle to get resources is going to happen.

Illusive

Country flag
Airforce base at Afghanistan and naval base at Vietnam, very strategically important places for India.

neo29

We surely need a base in Northern Afghanistan and somewhere near South China sea.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles