IAF's 'Super Hercules' transporter lands at Jammu

happy

The newly-acquired C-130J aircraft of the Indian Air Force fleet, famously known as 'Super Hercules' made a maiden flight at the air force station at Jammu on September 27, a defence statement said.

The statement said, "In a significant capability demonstration move, the state of the art aircraft touched down at technical airfield, Jammu.

"This aircraft with state of the art avionics and on board system has transformed IAF capability to undertake missions from short runways like Jammu in all weather conditions."

'Super Hercules', has largely enhanced airlift capabilities of the IAF, which is now in a better position to meet the requirement of Indian land forces and evacuating stranded civilian passengers for Srinagar, Leh and Kargil in particular, who are heavily dependent on the air bridge for sustenance and connectivity during winter months due to sudden snowfall and subsequent blocking of highway, the statement said.
IAF's 'Super Hercules' transporter lands at Jammu - Rediff.com India News

Is the IAF just testing its capabilities or is it showing off?? I bet it must be warning China & Pakistan not to meddle with it.

jmj_overlord

maybe. iaf is showing that it is capable of transporting troops to any type of terrain......

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
can this be done on a full load?
Try it yourself:

Just Flight Support - C-130 Hercules

OK, just kidding. I am not at all knowledgeable about the JATO system, but I would guess JATO with full load would cause enormous stress on the aircraft.

But Wiki says:

JATO is an acronym for jet assisted take off. It is a system for helping overloaded aircraft into the air by providing additional thrust in the form of small rockets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO

Even so, the C-130 in the video can't be overloaded, given its trajectory.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles