IAF to keep MiG-21 until 2019

p2prada

I place my bets on the Bison and LCA in a 60:40 ratio.
This the current "professional" opinion too.

However the ratio is a bit more lopsided with the current LCA. I suppose you are talking about the final config LCA.

fulcrum

Country flag
what is the internal fuel carried by the bison variant? Another interesting note. I read in wikipedia that the russians changed the 21 quite a bit and added the rd 33 engine to it. When simulated against an f 16 it won 4:1!. Is it true? If so why wasnt it pursued?
2364kgs, 94 kgs less than the LCA.

hehe.. 4:1 in a computer simulated test. Dont read too much into it.

RD-33 Series 3, the ones on the MiG-29 UPG would've been perfect. Those engines have a better fuel efficiency than the GE-404 and even the LCA MK2's GE-414 engine, because it's bypass ratio is high. Which means it would have given more range than the LCA. But the cost of modifying the Airframe to fit a new engine of slightly different dimension would've been enormous, would be my guess. Maybe that's why IAF did'nt pursure it. Russia offered the same for the MiG-27 upgrade, to fit the Su-27's engine. And I suspect the same modification cost would have put the IAF off.

fulcrum

Country flag
@ersakthivel - Thanks for the link. Great read.

This the current "professional" opinion too.

However the ratio is a bit more lopsided with the current LCA. I suppose you are talking about the final config LCA.
Yes, ofcourse, LCA MK1 after all the integration is done. :)

Happy Diwali All. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

@ersakthivel - Thanks for the link. Great read.
His links are like his posts here.

Yes, ofcourse, LCA MK1 after all the integration is done. :)
It would be interesting to see if Mk1 really is a Mig-21 "replacement" or not once ADA releases the next round of specs as they did two years ago.

Happy Diwali.

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
His links are like his posts here.

It would be interesting to see if Mk1 really is a Mig-21 "replacement" or not once ADA releases the next round of specs as they did two years ago.

Happy Diwali.
Don't litter in public places,

mk-1 is not a Mig-21 replacement it is a replacement of Mig-21,23,27 and Mirage-2000(bit lesser range and weapon load , but more capable radar and long range air to air missile specs even after Mirage-2000 upgrade ),

Mk-2 will have better range , close combat specs and a decent weapon load compared (a bit lesser than mig-29) and can simply replace the Mig-29s as well especially in a decade from now we can hear more sob stories about unreliable Mig-29 engines from IAF.

It is pathetic to see you intervening to sprout BS data when unable to counter me directly in ADA tejas III and IV thread.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles