IAF to get BrahMos by year-end

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
2010 news

Long-range ASW aircraft Tu-142ME was handed over to India after overhaul and modernization by JSC TAVIA. In 2010 another Tu-142ME will be also capitally repaired, upgraded, and delivered to Indian Navy, reported ITAR-TASS referring to the company's press service.

The press release did not mention how many aircrafts have already been repaired and modernized.

According to World Arms Trade Analysis Center, it was planned to sign the contract on modernization of 8 long-range ASW aircrafts Tu-142ME for Indian Navy in 2005. Perhaps, the contract was signed later. The program has been in uncertain state for some time due to involvement of Israel which offered to upgrade Tu-142ME aircrafts under triangular agreement with Russia. Moreover, there were reports that the contract had been frozen.

In 1986 eight ASW aircrafts Tu-142MK were delivered to India under nomenclature of Tu-142ME which were built by Taganrog Aircraft Factory. Those planes were equipped with Korshun-K search-and-track ASW system which included magnetometer MMS-106 Ladoga and hydrology reconnaissance equipment Nerchinsk. All of those aircrafts are in need of capital repairs and to be upgraded with new onboard equipment, modernized jet-prop engines, and new weapons. According to initial plan, all 8 planes were supposed to pass modernization within 6 years and be ready in 2010-2011. After capital repairs the service life of each aircraft becomes 16 years longer.

Upgraded Tu-142ME is capable to provide patrolling and security of territorial waters; conduct communications surveillance; search, track, and engage newest silent submarines on surface and under water, moving at full or slow speed or laying on the seabed day and night and in any weather conditions. While armed with guided missiles, Tu-142ME is capable to deliver strikes upon surface ships, land and coastal targets.

Max flight range of Tu-142ME is 12,000 km, max flight speed (weight of 138 tons, altitude of 7,000 meters) is 855 kph, cruising speed is 735 kph, flight duration is 9 hours. Max combat load (6 BrahMos cruise missiles, as was proposed to Indian Navy) makes 9.6 tons, standard combat load (8 Kh-35 antiship missiles) is 4.4 tons. Typical search-and-attack version of the aircraft is equipped with up to 140 radio sonobuoys.
Upgraded ASW aircraft Tu-142ME was delivered to Indian Navy

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Saya BrahMos do not have any boosters, but a solid rocket fuel in the lower section of the vehicle which when exhausted, the chamber acts as the combustion chamber for the Ramjet ignition.
yeah same thing just in layman language it is cold stage booster, I have posted the brahmos diagram which shows this.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
When IAF gets this then both our neighbours will fear us for sure......

I would not be in the receiving end when BRAHMOS is fired.....:hail: :hail: :hail:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
When IAF gets this then both our neighbours will fear us for sure......

I would not be in the receiving end when BRAHMOS is fired.....:hail: :hail: :hail:

Max flight range of Tu-142ME is 12,000 km, max flight speed (weight of 138 tons, altitude of 7,000 meters) is 855 kph, cruising speed is 735 kph, flight duration is 9 hours. Max combat load (6 BrahMos cruise missiles, as was proposed to Indian Navy) makes 9.6 tons, standard combat load
which means 6000 km plus 500 km so no ship will come 6500 km from Indian shore.

p2prada

Does US has any supersonic cruise missile in their kitty?JASSM is subsonic.

Do not blabber if you do not have it.
The Americans license built the KH-31 and called it the MA-31. They used it for target practice since it could simulate Russian supersonic missiles, especially Klub. The Russians cancelled the license in 1997. So the Americans had to use the less capable CGM-164 Coyote.

LRSAM-B was supposed to be the first American anti-ship supersonic missile, but was cancelled due to unforeseen difficulties in 2012.

As of today, only the British have plans to build a Brahmos+ and that's only by 2040. It is a supersonic AShM which can return after launching its payload.

The reason why the Americans don't have it is because they have little or no research in building such a missile. Earlier the problem they faced was that the missile's seekers are not capable enough to switch targets and re-engage at such high speeds. However Brahmos changed that with multi-target capability and very, very high accuracy.

How does Klub fare with respect to Brahmos ?

AFAIK, Klub is mostly sub-sonic throughout it flight profile & gets near 2.8 Mach near terminal stage but which approach would be more lethal, capable of negotiating anti-missile defenses & accurate ?
Both are lethal. The defences have to react differently for both. In case of Klub, it relies on stealth to prevent early detection. In case of Brahmos, the idea is to overwhelm and penetrate defences, a more expensive method.

lookieloo

The Americans license built the KH-31 and called it the MA-31. They used it for target practice since it could simulate Russian supersonic missiles, especially Klub. The Russians cancelled the license in 1997. So the Americans had to use the less capable CGM-164 Coyote.

LRSAM-B was supposed to be the first American anti-ship supersonic missile, but was cancelled due to unforeseen difficulties in 2012.
Actually, the fact that we only want this sort of thing for target practice should probably tell you something. Sheer speed is a harsh mistress, exacting heavy tolls in weight, range, and costs; but the Russians have never been able to figure out another way to hit a defended target.

To illustrate the penalties of speed: surface-launched Brahmos is almost 2X the weight of surface-launched Tomahawk, has only 1/5th the range, and only 2/3rds the warhead. This is why LRASM-B never garnered much enthusiasm outside fanboy circles and was canceled. That said, US anti-ship tech has badly atrophied over the past 30 years.

p2prada

Actually, the fact that we only want this sort of thing for target practice should probably tell you something. Sheer speed is a harsh mistress, exacting heavy tolls in weight, range, and costs; but the Russians have never been able to figure out another way to hit a defended target.
Not true. The fact is neither are properly tested.

Sure the French exocets did work against the Royal Navy in the Falklands, but there is no guarantee it is equally or more effective than a supersonic AShM.

The fact is IN decided to replace most of their subsonic AShM capability with Brahmos is a decent indicator of what the Brahmos is capable of. In time we will know what IN decided to do through their submarine program. They may choose a western model or opt for Brahmos instead of European subsonic missiles like Exocet.

Btw, the Russians have both subsonic missiles and supersonic missiles. The primary missile is the P-700 Granit armed on their capital ships. Their subs and other ships carry various other missiles which are subsonic. So your assertion is basically nonsense. Read up on the missile called KH-35 Uran also called Harpoonski.

The fact is after the Soviet split the US entered a deal with the Russians that specifically prevented the further development of the Oniks into a supersonic ship based AShM. Their current versions are all land based missiles for coastal defence. It was after this that the Russians transferred the relevant tech to India and the Americans may not have expected the Russians would transfer such high value tech so easily.

To illustrate the penalties of speed: surface-launched Brahmos is almost 2X the weight of surface-launched Tomahawk, has only 1/5th the range, and only 2/3rds the warhead.
You missed out on Brahmos having 9 times the kinetic energy. That's pretty important. Brahmos is designed to explode inside the ship, not on the side of the ship. That's instant sinking, with major loss of life and limb. Other missiles delays sinking.

More importantly, a missile like Harpoon has enough capacity to only engage smaller ships and need multiple hits when it comes to larger ships. Brahmos has greater stopping power.

Brahmos 1 is heavy only because it is based on older tech. Brahmos 3 will have a new engine.

This is why LRASM-B never garnered much enthusiasm outside fanboy circles and was canceled. That said, US anti-ship tech has badly atrophied over the past 30 years.
DARPA wouldn't cancel LRASM-B after the R&D stage without a solid good reason. It was canceled during R&D, and that's not due to lack of money, especially when LRASM-A is going on unhindered. The reason for canceling -B would have been announced unless it was a tech issue.

US AShM tech seems to be on track anyway.

Btw, Brahmos-2 development has already started, with prototype testing planned for 2017. Mach 7 with the same range and payload.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles