IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Programme New Delhi

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by bhramos, Apr 16, 2012.

1. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

The Indian Air Force has shortlisted five foreign transport aircraft in the weight-class of six to eight tonnes to replace its fleet of Avro aircraft under a three billion dollar project to induct 60 new planes.

"We have shortlisted five existing aircraft to replace the Avro. This includes the Russian, Ukrainian and European companies who are producing transport planes in this class," highly-placed IAF sources told Defencenow.com.

The companies in the fray include Russian Ilyushin, Ukrainian Antonov, European EADS Casa C-295 and Italian Alenia C-27J Spartan.

The vendor finally chosen by the IAF will be then asked to work with private industry consortium which is likely to be headed by the Tata Group.

As part of our efforts, we will now release a Request for Proposal (RFP) in the next few months after the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approval and then choose the lowest bidder for the unique project, they told defencenow.com.

As per IAF plans, the twin-engine aircraft is planned to have a six to eight tonne payload capacity, cruise speed of 800 kilometers per hour range of 2,500 kilometers to 2,700 kilometers and should be ready before the end of 12th Plan.

The IAF is keen to exploit the Indian private industry for the programme to replace aging Avro aircraft and has sought Defence Ministry's nod for the replacement.

As per the plan, the first 16 aircraft would be produced by the OEM and the remaining would be license-produced by the consortium of private Indian industries with the help of IAF.

IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Programme New Delhi - Defence Now

Kunal Biswas and panduranghari like this.
  3. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

Isn't AN-32 and AVRO fall in same category ?

AVRO was purchased but due to her low service in High altitude AN-32 were purchased in later stages..

AN-32 is meant to be replaced by MTA, I can say the same for AVRO..

Some new kick backs..

sesha_maruthi27 likes this.
  4. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

no kunal sir. avro is lesser capable plane and its servicing in force is also limited specially in the present day scenario. its replacement is required by the aircrafts considered and not by somewhat bigger and more capable MTA

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  5. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Avro is a passenger aircraft it has no tail loading boom like the AN32.

The IAF should wait for the IRJ or the Irkut and HAL MTA.

pmaitra and Kunal Biswas like this.
  6. Kunal Biswas

AVRO are purchased after DC-3 if i am not wrong.. its old

During those days, AVRO was technically superior and good, It used for paratrooper, the version had bigger doors for Paratroopers..

But due to here limitation in higher altitude, AN-32 was purchased latter..

Now IAF decided to replace majority of AN-32 by MTA that means as well as AVRO too..

7. blueblood

blueblood Senior Member Senior Member

AFAIk, IAF don't use Avro for paradropping or transport but for electronic and signals intelligence. I read it somewhere but can't remember.

8. Kunal Biswas

Read my post again, the time i mention was after DC-3, that would be during 1950s..

blueblood likes this.
  9. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  10. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Regular Member

the HS-748 AVRO is presently being used only for VIP travel duties. it is generally used by high ranking IAF officers to visit different IAF bases. the aircraft is not being used for load carrying duties.

the tonnage capacity of AVRO is less as compared to An-32 ac. also the "side ways loading" of avro makes it very difficult to undertake loading and offloading operations. the aircraft is very old and it is getting difficult to maintain fleet.

11. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

AN-70

[​IMG]

European EADS Casa C-295

[​IMG]

Italian Alenia C-27J Spartan

[​IMG]

But i wonder what IL is offering...!!!!

12. Immanuel

Immanuel Senior Member Senior Member

An-70 is too big to fit into this competition, the C-27J and C-295 seem like the options to consider. C-27J can carry more at a sightly higher speed to a slightly longer range. C-295 however comes in medium range maritime time patrol ASW version as well, could be interesting considering Navy is looking for MRMR. could bring in commonality if C-295 is picked by the Navy, however since P-8 is also in the fray for MRMR and will already bring in commonality with P-8I already on order, would Navy go for C-295. Besides P-8 on any day out performs any available maritime patrol aircraft.

If Navy again goes for P-8 or any other aircraft, C-27J could be the ideal choice, C-295 can carry more paratroopers, but C-27J wider fuesalage allows for evencertain types of choppers to be carried.

http://www.c27j.com/files/File/specs.pdf

60 of these would be ideal.

13. Kunal Biswas

Better we get some more C-130J or C-27J as they share common parts..

Ankit Purohit and pmaitra like this.
  14. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

no IL - 76? it guess it is much cheaper

i am sure IL, AN might have similar planes for 1/2 the price and with better quality

15. Kunal Biswas

IL-76 is good and its cheap, But its maintenance cost in long run is more costly than a C-17 price tag..

Russians are not very good in supplying spares..

pack leader likes this.
  16. shubhamsaikia

shubhamsaikia Regular Member

Its better be stick to Americans as they can take off from an unfinished tarmac as well... ILs in the long run will lose their match against the C 17s

17. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    The only worthwhile aircraft in the same category that Antonov can propose would be the AN-72 coaler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    As for Ilyushin i believe they could try to bring the IL-112 out of cold storage and try for the deal.

[​IMG]

19. Immanuel

Immanuel Senior Member Senior Member

I think bringing aircraft out of cold storage is not needed, the deal in this case should be between the C-27J and the C-295, C-27J because it can carry more types of payload. 60 of these is a very good idea indeed.

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=c-27J...12&start=42&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:42,i:180

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=c-27J...dsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:18,i:123&tx=69&ty=156

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=c-27J...8&tbnw=212&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:212,i:90

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=ac-27...w=217&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:64

Gunship variant possible as well

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  20. cobra commando

cobra commando Tharki regiment Veteran Member Senior Member

Re: IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Pr

Airbus unit, Tatas bid for Indian air force's aircraft replacement programme

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - European plane manufacturer Airbus' Defence and Space unit and Tata Advanced Systems have submitted a joint bid to replace the Indian Air Force's fleet of 56 Avro aircraft with Airbus' C295 transport planes, Airbus said in a statement on Tuesday. Under the bid, Airbus Defence and Space would supply the first 16 planes while the subsequent 40 would be manufactured and assembled by Tata Advanced Systems in India.

Airbus unit, Tatas bid for Indian air force's aircraft replacement programme | Business Standard News

21. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

Re: IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Pr

Make AVRO replacement in India.