IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Programme New Delhi

bhramos

Country flag
The Indian Air Force has shortlisted five foreign transport aircraft in the weight-class of six to eight tonnes to replace its fleet of Avro aircraft under a three billion dollar project to induct 60 new planes.

"We have shortlisted five existing aircraft to replace the Avro. This includes the Russian, Ukrainian and European companies who are producing transport planes in this class," highly-placed IAF sources told Defencenow.com.

The companies in the fray include Russian Ilyushin, Ukrainian Antonov, European EADS Casa C-295 and Italian Alenia C-27J Spartan.

The vendor finally chosen by the IAF will be then asked to work with private industry consortium which is likely to be headed by the Tata Group.

As part of our efforts, we will now release a Request for Proposal (RFP) in the next few months after the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approval and then choose the lowest bidder for the unique project, they told defencenow.com.

As per IAF plans, the twin-engine aircraft is planned to have a six to eight tonne payload capacity, cruise speed of 800 kilometers per hour range of 2,500 kilometers to 2,700 kilometers and should be ready before the end of 12th Plan.

The IAF is keen to exploit the Indian private industry for the programme to replace aging Avro aircraft and has sought Defence Ministry's nod for the replacement.

As per the plan, the first 16 aircraft would be produced by the OEM and the remaining would be license-produced by the consortium of private Indian industries with the help of IAF.

IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Programme New Delhi - Defence Now

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Isn't AN-32 and AVRO fall in same category ?

AVRO was purchased but due to her low service in High altitude AN-32 were purchased in later stages..

AN-32 is meant to be replaced by MTA, I can say the same for AVRO..

Some new kick backs..

agentperry

no kunal sir. avro is lesser capable plane and its servicing in force is also limited specially in the present day scenario. its replacement is required by the aircrafts considered and not by somewhat bigger and more capable MTA

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Isn't AN-32 and AVRO fall in same category ?

AVRO was purchased but due to her low service in High altitude AN-32 were purchased in later stages..

AN-32 is meant to be replaced by MTA, I can say the same for AVRO..

Some new kick backs..
Avro is a passenger aircraft it has no tail loading boom like the AN32.

The IAF should wait for the IRJ or the Irkut and HAL MTA.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
AVRO are purchased after DC-3 if i am not wrong.. its old

During those days, AVRO was technically superior and good, It used for paratrooper, the version had bigger doors for Paratroopers..

But due to here limitation in higher altitude, AN-32 was purchased latter..

Now IAF decided to replace majority of AN-32 by MTA that means as well as AVRO too..

blueblood

AVRO are purchased after DC-3 if i am not wrong.. its old

During those days, AVRO was technically superior and good, It used for paratrooper, the version had bigger doors for Paratroopers..

But due to here limitation in higher altitude, AN-32 was purchased latter..

Now IAF decided to replace majority of AN-32 by MTA that means as well as AVRO too..
AFAIk, IAF don't use Avro for paradropping or transport but for electronic and signals intelligence. I read it somewhere but can't remember.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
AFAIk, IAF don't use Avro for paradropping or transport but for electronic and signals intelligence. I read it somewhere but can't remember.
Read my post again, the time i mention was after DC-3, that would be during 1950s..

GUNS-N- ROSES

the HS-748 AVRO is presently being used only for VIP travel duties. it is generally used by high ranking IAF officers to visit different IAF bases. the aircraft is not being used for load carrying duties.

the tonnage capacity of AVRO is less as compared to An-32 ac. also the "side ways loading" of avro makes it very difficult to undertake loading and offloading operations. the aircraft is very old and it is getting difficult to maintain fleet.

bhramos

Country flag
AN-70

European EADS Casa C-295

Italian Alenia C-27J Spartan

But i wonder what IL is offering...!!!!

Immanuel

Country flag
An-70 is too big to fit into this competition, the C-27J and C-295 seem like the options to consider. C-27J can carry more at a sightly higher speed to a slightly longer range. C-295 however comes in medium range maritime time patrol ASW version as well, could be interesting considering Navy is looking for MRMR. could bring in commonality if C-295 is picked by the Navy, however since P-8 is also in the fray for MRMR and will already bring in commonality with P-8I already on order, would Navy go for C-295. Besides P-8 on any day out performs any available maritime patrol aircraft.

If Navy again goes for P-8 or any other aircraft, C-27J could be the ideal choice, C-295 can carry more paratroopers, but C-27J wider fuesalage allows for evencertain types of choppers to be carried.

http://www.c27j.com/files/File/specs.pdf

60 of these would be ideal.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
no IL - 76? it guess it is much cheaper

i am sure IL, AN might have similar planes for 1/2 the price and with better quality

IL-76 is good and its cheap, But its maintenance cost in long run is more costly than a C-17 price tag..

Russians are not very good in supplying spares..

shubhamsaikia

Its better be stick to Americans as they can take off from an unfinished tarmac as well... ILs in the long run will lose their match against the C 17s

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The only worthwhile aircraft in the same category that Antonov can propose would be the AN-72 coaler

Immanuel

Country flag
I think bringing aircraft out of cold storage is not needed, the deal in this case should be between the C-27J and the C-295, C-27J because it can carry more types of payload. 60 of these is a very good idea indeed.

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=c-27J...12&start=42&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:42,i:180

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=c-27J...dsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:18,i:123&tx=69&ty=156

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=c-27J...8&tbnw=212&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:212,i:90

http://www.google.be/imgres?q=ac-27...w=217&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:64

Gunship variant possible as well

Last edited:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Re: IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Pr

Airbus unit, Tatas bid for Indian air force's aircraft replacement programme

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - European plane manufacturer Airbus' Defence and Space unit and Tata Advanced Systems have submitted a joint bid to replace the Indian Air Force's fleet of 56 Avro aircraft with Airbus' C295 transport planes, Airbus said in a statement on Tuesday. Under the bid, Airbus Defence and Space would supply the first 16 planes while the subsequent 40 would be manufactured and assembled by Tata Advanced Systems in India.

Airbus unit, Tatas bid for Indian air force's aircraft replacement programme | Business Standard News

Hari Sud

Country flag
Re: IAF Shortlists Five Aircraft Manufacturers for Avro Replacement Pr

Make AVRO replacement in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles