IAF prepares to fly Pranab in a Su-30 MKI!!!!!

bhramos

Country flag
KOLKATA: With Pranab Mukherjee taking oath as President of India and taking over as supreme commander of the armed forces on Wednesday, the day may not be far when he dons a G-Suit and is strapped into the cockpit of a Su-30 MKI supersonic fighter jet for the ride of his life. The tradition was started in June, 2006 by then President APJ Abdul Kalam, who had wanted to become a fighter pilot as a child.(sevenoya)

Three years later, in November, 2009, Pratibha Patil also created history by becoming the first woman President of any country to fly in a Sukhoi air-dominance fighter.

"There is no rule as such but since precedence has been set, we think that Pranab Mukherjee won't let go the opportunity. After all, he has been a defence minister in the past. This is an opportunity that no civilian in the country ever gets," an IAF officer said.

Kalam's flight had lasted nearly 40 minutes and the pilot had attained supersonic speed on a request from the President. Patil's flight had also taken off from the Lohegaon air base in Pune but the pilot had been instructed not to go supersonic. It remains to be seen whether Mukherjee wishes to break the sound barrier.

"A lot of preparations are required before such a flight. President Kalam had a scientific mind and was very keen to take the flight. He had undergone medical tests and was declared fit. Before he reached Pune, am IAF wing commander was sent to Rashtrapati Bhavan to brief him about the flight. When he reached the air base, there was a lot of activity. We had to go by something known as the 'blue book' which deals with the President's security. Everything from the President's food to his movement had to be monitored carefully," the officer who was in charge of the flight said.

The aircraft was checked thoroughly and then sent to an isolation bay. Nobody was allowed to approach it before the actual flight. A golf cart was arranged to take the President from the squadron to the parking bay where the aircraft was waiting on the day of the flight.

"Another Su-30 took off along with the President's aircraft as Kalam was keen to see how it shows up on his radar. He asked about the weapons delivery system and other things while airborne. After landing, we found that he had already taken off his mask by himself. He was ready for more. He received another briefing that lasted one and a half hours before leaving the base," the officer said.

The IAF is now looking forward to hosting Mukherjee. Officers believe that it pays in the long run if the President gets a first hand experience of how things operate.

IAF prepares to fly Pranab in a Su-30 MKI - The Times of India

lol.........

Oracle

I know the President is the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, but what a waste. :facepalm:

Blackwater

Ek to 80-80 saal ke bando ko president banate ho, then SU 30 me joy ride karato ho

Ajab desh ki gajab kahani

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I always wanted to be a fighter pilot. Unfortunately could not. I think the only way I can ever fly a fighter jet is by becoming the president!!!

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Wonder if he wants to try bail out too.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I hope he manages to bear the G forces if increased by mistake or he will shout "Ooori Baba Mori Gelaa" :pound:

BTW it's a welcome adventure ! he should know what our armed forces are and how do they fight!

bhramos

Country flag
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I hope he manages to bear the G forces if increased by mistake or he will shout "Ooori Baba Mori Gelaa" :pound:

BTW it's a welcome adventure ! he should know what our armed forces are and how do they fight!
I think usse acha mig 21 pe baithta.agar bach jata to sabka bharosa badhta us plane par.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If it was a scheduled flight I see no problem if the President wants to go along for the ride. If it was just for his pleasure than that is seriously abuse and waste of taxpayer's money.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
It can be IAF's way/tradition to honor its commander.

Although Presidents are useless in India anyways.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It does not matter if the sound barrier is broken.

Mukherjee has already experienced it - in the Lok Sabha!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
How about putting one of these ministers in a Mig-21 that only ejects the pilot out in case of emergency?

Very nice... so now another 3.5 lacs go waste of public money to fly another useless rubber stamp

bhramos

Country flag
How about putting one of these ministers in a Mig-21 that only ejects the pilot out in case of emergency?

Very nice... so now another 3.5 lacs go waste of public money to fly another useless rubber stamp
check post no 9... i already sujjested the same...........

sob

Mod
Country flag
Tell him that the only aircraft he can fly in is the Rafale, then we can see how quickly the MMRCA deal is signed and the deliveries start.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles