IAF plans to acquire amphibious aircraft

JayATL

http://www.*****************/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Beriev-Be-200-300x161.jpg

http://www.*****************/iaf-plans-acquire-amphibious-aircraft-20110130/

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is planning to purchase amphibious aircraft for the first time in the history of the organization. These aircrafts are most likely to be deployed at the Nicobar and Andaman archipelago.

The IAF has requested information for the aircraft which can takeoff not only from land, but also from sea. The contestant aircrafts are the Canadian Bombardier 415, the Dornier Sea Plane and the Russian Beriev Be-200.

This is the first the the IAF has planned of having an amphibious capability and the main reason for this drastic step is the dynamically changing security demands around the isles.

Nicobar and Andaman is the only tri-service command of the IAF and the amphibious aircrafts will be used to boost the forces capability to secure and constantly keep an eye on the maritime boundary around the isles.

The official information about this case, says that the IAF are planning on purchasing six of these aircraft for maritime reconnaissance and search and rescue operations. The IAF have some requirements for the amphibious aircraft – their main goal is to purchase a machine with a short take-off capability and a range of at least 800 nautical miles.

The proposal to purchase amphibious aircraft for the IAF isn't an old idea and it has been an important question for the Indian government since the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks. Since then the Indian authorities have been considering different options to augment the security of the 7,516km long coast. In 2009 the Indian Navy made the first step to reinforcing the security by buying eight long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft P-8I.

pmaitra

Beriev Be-42 Antonov A-40

Beriev Be-42 Antonov A-40

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Chaika L-6

Chaika L-6

Last edited by a moderator:

JayATL

aren't you "Mr YouTube of the day" today :). you're hammering out some cool videos out on the forums today. thanks...

pmaitra

^^ Thanks Jay. I like to see YouTube and I had these videos in mind for quite a few days (the ones about guns). Today I had some time, and I hammered them out. :)

JayATL

I got my glass of red and I'm going to go through the gun videos later tonight

pmaitra

^^ Great. You will definitely relish the videos. A lot of history. You might need more than a glass. :)

bhramos

Country flag
India plans to procure 6 amphibious aircraft

Tue Oct 19 2010, 16:04 PM
PROJECT INFO

Project Name: IAF - Amphibious Aircraft - Andaman and Nicobar

Project Status: Planning

Project Type: Parent

Project Start Date: 1/1/2010

Project End Date: 31/12/2014

Project Value (USD): 42.72 Million

Project Sector: Aircraft

Project Background:

The aim of the project is to procure amphibious aircraft for Andaman and Nicobar islands to help inter-island communication and rapid response duties during emergencies such as a tsunami or reaching out to people stranded on islands or ships in the sea with the aid of amphibious aircraft.

Project Description:

Indian Air Force has plans of deploying amphibious aircraft in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, near a disputed maritime border. This involves a contract for the purchase of six amphibious aircraft for reconnaissance of islands and search and rescue missions.

The process to procure the amphibious aircraft, which can take-off from and land on water, has already been initiated with the issuing of a global Request for Information (RFI) by the Defence Ministry. Andaman and Nicobar islands served notice to India and Myanmar to settle a dispute over maritime boundary claims before a UN arbitration tribunal.

Possible contenders for the Indian air force's requirement include Bombardier 415 and Beriev Be-200, as well as the Dornier Seaplane. Currently the contract is in planning stage. The tender award stage is expected to start in 2011.

Project Location: Andaman and Nicobar, India, Asia.

SCOPE TYPES

Project Scope:

The $40 million contract involves the purchase of amphibious aircraft and their deployment in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, near a disputed maritime border. To clear the dispute over maritime boundary claims, this aircraft is helpful as it serves in surveillance over the island chain.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is required in A&N islands.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What about their operability in choppy waters?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I have this question about why Navy Aviation Arm is allowing IAF to enter its bastion. Since the A&N islands are a tri-service base, naturally this means that there is a strong Naval presence there. Shouldn't the Navy's air arm be ordering these planes rather than IAF who has a more land-air structure than sea-air? Just a question.

JayATL

would navy aviation wing not be tied to carriers? vs say this is a land based aircraft. i realize i may totally wrong on this !

p2prada

I have this question about why Navy Aviation Arm is allowing IAF to enter its bastion. Since the A&N islands are a tri-service base, naturally this means that there is a strong Naval presence there. Shouldn't the Navy's air arm be ordering these planes rather than IAF who has a more land-air structure than sea-air? Just a question.
It's only transport and recce aircraft. Even Army can order them.

What about their operability in choppy waters?
Not particularly good. Bad weather means take off and landing at an airbase. They will survive the night if parked on choppy waters, even in reasonably bad conditions.

natarajan

what they mean by disputed maritime border as we have only habit of donating to others like kathchatheevu and cocoa island .

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
what they mean by disputed maritime border as we have only habit of donating to others like kathchatheevu and cocoa island .
Coco islands (South) is ours isn't it? The northern set belongs to Burma and it is already cleared. The disputed term is simply mentioned in general in case someone fancies playing disputing games with us. We don't have any disputes with Burmese (who are the only players to contend in the region). Just a few with Beggarimmigrantdesh, the Land of Pure and Reds.

Patriot

Country flag

Three Global Firms Offer Amphibious Aircraft to Navy and IAF

The Navy is planning to induct nine amphibious aircraft to keep a vigil over the maritime territories whereas the IAF wants to induct six of these planes for its bases in car nicobar.

The three firms have offered their planes in response to the global request for information (RFIs) issued by the two services separately in March this year, Navy officials said to defencenow.com.

All the three companies have given presentations to us and we are vetting them at present and will issue a global RFP in this regard in the near future, they said.

The aircraft on offer by Beriev and Bombardier were also part of the cancelled Coast Guard tender to procure medium range maritime surveillance planes but had failed to clear the trials.

The Russian firm is offering its Be-2500, Canada is offering Bombardier 415 MP whereas Japanese are offering the Shinmaywa US-2.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
PBY Catalina

Maybe some of this type is still flying.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles