IAC-II: India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by A chauhan, Jul 16, 2012.

1. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Published July 16, 2012 | By admin
    SOURCE: PTI

India has started working on its secondindigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier ( IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the Navy, Navy sources said here.

On the delays in the IAC-I, they said against the December 2010 timeline, the Navy was now planning to launch it by the end of this year or early next year.

Sources said delays in the warship project were caused mainly due to problems in its gearbox, they said.

The 40,000 tonne IAC-I is being constructed by the Kochin Shipyard in Kerala and is so far the biggest warship project undertaken in the country.

At its now expected induction timeline of 2017, it would be the second largest warship after the Russian-originAdmiral Gorshkov, which is set to arrive in India by March next year.

They said the IAC-I has two very large gear boxes weighing around 90 tonnes each– the largest-ever to have been handled by the Navy.

Asked about the specifications of the IAC-2, Navy sources said the work was going on and a number of design options were being explored.

Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it.

On the Shivalik Class frigate INS Sahyadri to be commissioned in to the Navy on July 21, Navy officials said it was the last ship of its class Project 17. They said the work on the next Project 17A has already started.
    India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier | idrw.org

3. afako

afako Regular Member

Work on P15B has also Started.

4. A chauhan

Yeah I don't see any point in delaying the second IAC project, because IAC-I is delayed due to gearbox issue, till they solve that issue, they can start working on IAC-II and make considerable progress in it.

5. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

I hope for a provision for interim availability of a contingency fund to pre book essential hardware such as the gearbox so that the same issue do not get repeated again and again.

As I think for the time being only works on design have been commenced and no fund sanctioned.

A chauhan likes this.
  6. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier - India News - IBNLive

New Delhi: India has started working on its second indigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years.
    The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the Navy, Navy sources said. On the delays in the IAC-I, they said against the December 2010 timeline, the Navy was now planning to launch it by the end of this year or early next year.
    Sources said delays in the warship project were caused mainly due to problems in its gearbox, they said. The 40,000 tonne IAC-I is being constructed by the Kochin Shipyard in Kerala and is so far the biggest warship project undertaken in the country.

At its now expected induction timeline of 2017, it would be the second largest warship after the Russian-origin Admiral Gorshkov, which is set to arrive in India by March next year.
    They said the IAC-I has two very large gear boxes weighing around 90 tonnes each-- the largest-ever to have been handled by the Navy.
    Asked about the specifications of the IAC-2, Navy sources said the work was going on and a number of design options were being explored.
    Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it.
    On the Shivalik Class frigate INS Sahyadri to be commissioned in to the Navy on July 21, Navy officials said it was the last ship of its class Project 17. They said the work on the next Project 17A has already started.

Kunal Biswas and Rehan's_Ninjato like this.
  7. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

Re: India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

[​IMG]

Get the first one right plzzz

8. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

A delay in the first does not mean a delay in the next. Must you compulsorily wear your troll hat once a day?

9. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Threads merged.

10. GromHellscream

GromHellscream Regular Member

To design a carrier is not a game of rolling the dice. But not a surprise, cause that's the way how indians manage projects.

11. trackwhack

Jealous much that we started with our second aircraft carrier while you are still trying to get that rust bucket from Ukraine to float?

roma, Dovah and sayareakd like this.
  12. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

I smell flame, keep it close ..

13. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

Its okay to review designs, but seriously do not start the second until you work out kinks of the first. The whole point was to be a learning curve, not flat line.

14. Kunal Biswas

The people in charge have idea of this situation at full extend, Only then they are going for second carrier, Besides working on second will take time with available resource and men ready, I see no problems here..

roma and sayareakd like this.
  15. trackwhack

The hull does not need any major design reviews. Cochin shipyard has built massive tankers before. There is no need to wait until the first is over.

sayareakd likes this.
  16. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

They must have started or in the process of starting the design phase of the IAC-2, quite like how AMCA's design phase has started well before LCA is even ready for IOC.

Construction may happen on a later date. Looking at the articles, it would seem IAC-2 would be a 2020+ project.

sayareakd likes this.
  17. john70

john70 Regular Member

Another Aircraft Carrier In The Making : Is It A Wise Decision?

Another Aircraft Carrier In The Making : Is It A Wise Decision?

Defence News - Another Aircraft Carrier In The Making : Is It A Wise Decision?

The new IAC - II, WILL BE CALLED VISHAL :

[​IMG]

maomao, A chauhan and LETHALFORCE like this.
  18. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

its because we dont have much time to make indian ocean that tougher for plan as it is now

19. Kunal Biswas

The work is started..

1. The have to deign the ship.

2. They have to allocate material and men to designated sight.

3. Work will start.

There will be many Problems in project way like deign change, labor problems lack of equipment and lack of technology..

Early it start better it is..

ani82v and A chauhan like this.
  20. A chauhan

By starting it now they can save at least 2-4 years of time!

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  21. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

can anybody tell me what's the possible timeline for the delivery of the IAC-2?and as we all know that the IN has already projected a need for atleast 3 a/c carriers,so my question is after the delivery of the IAC-1 in about 2017 can we continue to operate the INS Viraat for a couple of years until the induction of IAC-2 though the end life of Viraat is nearing but can an extensive reffiting make her sea worthy for a couple of years more?also can we redisgn INS Viraat as a STOBAR carrier so that the new mig-29k can operate from it?