I will have a travel in north india, could indian friends give me some useful info?

aoyegui

my english is not good, so if there are some wrong in my words, just forget it. thanks!

i am a chinese backpacker and i love the indian culture very much. i had dreaming this travel for months. i will begin my travel at Jan/2012, will visit cities: Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, Jhansi,etc. and i need some informations from every friends.:namaste:

1, what kind of GPS software is the best one in india? free and offline-using is better.:p i need install in my andriod or win mobile system cellphone. i just know the googlemaps, but it's an online software, i don't know whether i could keep online anytime.
2, which Mobile operators is better? i need charge money at different cities, and cheap and 3g is better.
3, which Hotel Chain is better? i need the name, the offical website link is better.
4, introduce some pop music stars. name and classical songs.
maybe i will need some more. now these are ok.
thanks whatever.:namaste:

Last edited:

aoyegui

don't limit by the up-post, you could tell me anything you think useful. thanks!

Nagraj

Do you plan to stay in cities only or plan to visit rural areas as well?/
as far as know in delhi network of airtel is the best however when it come to rural areas in india "BSNL has much better network"
charging money should n't be a problem in case of prepaid mobiles.
i am not sure if foreigners can take the regular prepaid SIM however if you know any one in india may be he can get you a sim.

aoyegui

thank u!
i have only 20 day's vacation. so, i will visit cities and scenic spots.
some friends told me that foreigner could buy the local sim card at the airport for short visiting. i don't know whether it's true. have a local sim card is very useful and saving money.

lemontree

Professional
i am a chinese backpacker and i love the indian culture very much. i had dreaming this travel for months. i will begin my travel at Jan/2012, will visit cities: Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, Jhansi,etc. and i need some informations from every friends.:namaste:

1, what kind of GPS software is the best one in india? free and offline-using is better.:p i need install in my andriod or win mobile system cellphone. i just know the googlemaps, but it's an online software, i don't know whether i could keep online anytime.
2, which Mobile operators is better? i need charge money at different cities, and cheap and 3g is better.
3, which Hotel Chain is better? i need the name, the offical website link is better.
1. GPS software - Any mobile service provider with GPRS facility will give you access to maps which is good enough. You also use local maps from the hotel, which will give you an overall idea of the area being visited.
2. Mobile operator - For cities Airtel and Vodafone, but all India BSNL has better coverage even in rural areas.
3. Hotel Chain - for backpackers, bufget hotels are good and economical. You can log in to yatra.com and do your bookings from them. They offer good rates to their customers.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Mapmyindia has the best navigation map and software interface. Its very detailed. If you have an iphone, the map can be downloaded for $50. May be they have maps for android too but i am not aware. It is powered by Sygic.

Mobile connectivity is good. any one will work. I would suggest Tata Docomo for it being cheaper and also having sharing agreement with other networks so that it quickly moves to other providers tower when its own are not in range.

What kind of budget do you have for Hotel? you can get hotels from $10 to $300!!

aoyegui

thank lemontree and Yusuf.
i have ordered the room for the first night at Delhi. 600rs, it's ok! the website: makemytrip is very good!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
let me make some random effort to assist you, Rajashtan might be a place of Interest for you, vibrant culture, deserts glimpse of Indus Valley civilization, knowing the brave Rajput history and their way of living. Palace on wheels is a tourist train but not preferable if you are budget conscious. See the camels and enjoy camel back ride.

Agra: for Taj Mahal (one of 7 wonders) and Ancient Mughal architecture, Well a visit to New Delhi the capital of India would cover most of the northern destination from Jaipur(Rajashthan) to Agra(Taj Mahal), Shimla (Summer capital of British India), Dharamshala - for tibetian and buddhist culture, and a few places of hindu religious importance.

not to miss the Wagah border between India-Pakistan, in Punjab region and see the joint drill
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
1. January will be very cold, and there can be a lot of fog. So be prepared to face delays whilst travelling.
2. Take trains preferably first class.
3. And always keep your wits about.

aoyegui

let me make some random effort to assist you, Rajashtan might be a place of Interest for you, vibrant culture, deserts glimpse of Indus Valley civilization, knowing the brave Rajput history and their way of living. Palace on wheels is a tourist train but not preferable if you are budget conscious. See the camels and enjoy camel back ride.

Agra: for Taj Mahal (one of 7 wonders) and Ancient Mughal architecture, Well a visit to New Delhi the capital of India would cover most of the northern destination from Jaipur(Rajashthan) to Agra(Taj Mahal), Shimla (Summer capital of British India), Dharamshala - for tibetian and buddhist culture, and a few places of hindu religious importance.

not to miss the Wagah border between India-Pakistan, in Punjab region and see the joint drill
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
thank u so much!
The Rajasthan is on my way.:p I plan to visit Jodhpur & Udaipur & Jaipur.
Amristar is also one target if I have enough time at the end of all travel.

aoyegui

1. January will be very cold, and there can be a lot of fog. So be prepared to face delays whilst travelling.
2. Take trains preferably first class.
3. And always keep your wits about.
Thank u so much!
i will get trains and buses. train will delay by fog? And I really want to take each level of train class. I think it will be very interesting.

aoyegui

I'm also Chinese :rolleyes:

Recommend a blog on India tour 印度旅游签证攻略2011.6_长长的城_新浪博客 covering tips on visa application, Indian holidays ...alike

Do come back with a travelogue so that I may get some ideas for my future trip
多谢老兄!
I have sent files for tourism visa, before the next thursday i will get it.
and i absolutely want to get some real and normal indian-life experience.

Blackwater

my english is not good, so if there are some wrong in my words, just forget it. thanks!

BTW how much money or credit card worth, you are taking along with you,, you see India is not cheap

indian_sukhoi

Every state consist of different culture and a way of living, that why India is called has Sub-Continent!!!. You will come up with hundreds of different languages and Dressing style.

Since your looking for Culture specifically
- I would recommend you to visit Rajastan mostly. Stick to Rajastan, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Agra. You can cover a lot of places in a short distance.
- For Wildlife, Go to Madya Pradesh. Its quite close to the upper states(Rajastan)
- Try to experience, Indian Festivals. Thats were you will get the chance to feel the Indian Culture to maximum.

Whereas, South India is complety Different from North India. If your planning to visit South India

- Go for Karnataka and Kerala, Avoid Andhra and Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu is also a great place to experience a rich culture of India other than that its unnecessary.

For me, Kerala is a Gods own paradise. Those back waters filled with greenery and peace will take you away. If You want to feel the True monsoon than Kerala is the right Choice.

In January,Festivals will start in Kerala too

I Hope this is helpful!!!

aoyegui

Every state consist of different culture and a way of living, that why India is called has Sub-Continent!!!. You will come up with hundreds of different languages and Dressing style.

Since your looking for Culture specifically
- I would recommend you to visit Rajastan mostly. Stick to Rajastan, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Agra. You can cover a lot of places in a short distance.
- For Wildlife, Go to Madya Pradesh. Its quite close to the upper states(Rajastan)
- Try to experience, Indian Festivals. Thats were you will get the chance to feel the Indian Culture to maximum.

Whereas, South India is complety Different from North India. If your planning to visit South India

- Go for Karnataka and Kerala, Avoid Andhra and Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu is also a great place to experience a rich culture of India other than that its unnecessary.

For me, Kerala is a Gods own paradise. Those back waters filled with greenery and peace will take you away. If You want to feel the True monsoon than Kerala is the right Choice.

In January,Festivals will start in Kerala too

I Hope this is helpful!!!
thanks!
India is a great country, i think i need more time for the whole.:p South india will be my next target.
don't want just arrive some places and take some pictures then back home. I want to try my best to experience just like an indian. Then the travel will be more wonderful.:laugh:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles