I was offered a bribe of Rs. 14 crore, says Army Chief

lemontree

Professional
What is vehicle is in use by the IA that is about 7,000 units more or less?
These could be transport or lighter B vehicles. Some of the suppliers are:-
- Mahindra & Mahindra - Jeeps used by all units in the army, navy and airforce.
- TATA - 2.5 tones used by all fighting units except ASC(not used and 1210 SDs used by all units.
- Ashok Leyland.- Stallions used mainly by all unit including ASC.

Blackwater

14 crore for 600 vehicles works out to 2.5 lacs approx. considering a 10% estimation as bribe, the vehicle should cost about 25 lacs approx. what vehicle would cost that? I am thinking APCs would be of that range ?? Or some trucks like Tatras?
Tatra does't not need to bribe, they are already permanent customer of Indian army for 100 yrs.

what vehicle he was talking about or he is doing just drama????

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Bribery in Defence sector shouldn't be considered corruption but equivalent to Sedition and punished grievously, this shows how people are loosing their character and morals for money in this country, i don't see any limit of corruption here :(

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok let me tell you guys, we give the utmost respect to our armed forces and consider it the last bastion of honesty and integrity. But right from canteen purchases there is corruption. I know about it as well a friend of mine use to/still does (maybe) supply army 515 unit in Bangalore right down to kitchen sink and tiles!

That said, I have no doubt that these Army personnel will be the first to jump in front of a hail of bullets to protect the country. They are humans and money is such a kutti cheez that it entices.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rather unfortunate.

God Bless!

No wonder some senior officers, who are in positions to do good, show no spine and are pliable.

CBI and IB are great weapons of ensuring that all remain in line!

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Without the government knowing who is talking to whom and that too a very high profile meeting will not happen without the knowledge of the government or the I.B. It is foolish to say that no one in the government knows what happened and he also said that it was a THREE STAR GENERAL OF THE ARMY who had retired in recent years.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I know about it as well a friend of mine use to/still does (maybe) supply army 515 unit in Bangalore right down to kitchen sink and tiles!
The Army does not sell tiles and kitchen sinks.

These are items for the housing and is under the purview of the MES, which is a quasi military organisation, meaning it is mainly civilians with an occasional GE, CWE, CE from the Army.

It is known as Military Engineering Service and also cynically known as Money Earning Service.

That said, if what the Chief has said is correct, then it is shocking and God Bless All.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
saw it on tv they are talking about Tatra, there is huge price difference by imported or vehicle made by local maker, there that price per vehicle was offered. One of the problem with it is that it has left hand drive, while we use right hand drive vehicle, that is what i have seen.

p2prada

I would prefer he does not leave in May.

He is definitely talking about a Private company. DPSUs don't have the audacity to bribe. They are not as concerned as Private industries when it comes to profit margin.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Army does not sell tiles and kitchen sinks.

These are items for the housing and is under the purview of the MES, which is a quasi military organisation, meaning it is mainly civilians with an occasional GE, CWE, CE from the Army.

It is known as Military Engineering Service and also cynically known as Money Earning Service.

That said, if what the Chief has said is correct, then it is shocking and God Bless All.
Sir I don't know who buys MES or whatever as I don't have inner details.

I just told what I knew. Similarly there is an Air Force unit in Jalahalli.

Sir, I think you should not be shocked and known about such things happening. It is this good General coming out and speaking. But if you read the report, it says those guys told the General that others before him and those after him will take. This may have been happening for years. Just that it has never come out till now.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
prublic sector cannot give single paisa to any one or audit would hang them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Kunal, can you tell us about vehicles of Ashok Leyland in the Army?

Blackwater

what ever it is. Does is mean more delays in procurement process after this news?????

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well first that company will be identified and be blacklisted. Then find the previous chief who HAS taken a bribe and ordered 7000 vehicles. Also find out where it is lacking as it is said that the vehicles are sub standard and we cannot have the lives of our soldiers at stake. Either upgrade this substandard vehicle or junk it and encash the bank guarantee of the company.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir I don't know who buys MES or whatever as I don't have inner details.

I just told what I knew. Similarly there is an Air Force unit in Jalahalli.

Sir, I think you should not be shocked and known about such things happening. It is this good General coming out and speaking. But if you read the report, it says those guys told the General that others before him and those after him will take. This may have been happening for years. Just that it has never come out till now.
The Indian Army is a huge organisation.

There are all sorts who make up the Army.

Over the years, there has been a systematic effort by vested interests to 'politicise' and 'morally ruin' the Army.

The fact that there is the CI going on, the unit life and hence unit cohesion and regimental spirit has been diluted and hence grooming of officers and men. This was the keystone, at one time, for the rock steady performance and morality.

Today, with the highly competitive world, it is to a great extent, self which has taken over.

Greed has also taken over since one finds thieving in society is par for the course. Hence, if one wants to keep up with the Joneses, then one has to cut corners. When they see nothing happens in the civil world where thugs go scot free because of money power and political contacts, one is 'encouraged' to follow that route.

Therefore, what you see, is nothing unusual.

Those who deal with tenders and contracts, are the one who are the first to fall prey.

At very senior ranks, they hold the final power to accept or reject.

And so, things can happen.

Even this very idea that there is a 'Line of Succession' of Chiefs is most surprising! It was never there and, I believe, it was JJ Singh who was the architect of the same with connivance with political mentors. The rumour mill feels that there was a 'method' to this madness.

If the Chief has said that those before him were 'in the game', given Kapoor's track record, I am not astonished. JJ, could also not be someone who exudes rose smell.

After the Chief this will continue?

Maybe.

Let's watch how it pans out.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Well General VKS has again touched the hornet's nest, this is not going to go well with the establishment. Some people may argue that he is just trying to get some brownie points after the DOB fiasco, but inmy view, the SC has refrained form giving a decision. So it is general's win. And now he is making the corrupt's life miserable, hope to see such crackdown in the civilian side too. Gen VKS for lokpal :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well first that company will be identified and be blacklisted. Then find the previous chief who HAS taken a bribe and ordered 7000 vehicles. Also find out where it is lacking as it is said that the vehicles are sub standard and we cannot have the lives of our soldiers at stake. Either upgrade this substandard vehicle or junk it and encash the bank guarantee of the company.
Nothing will be identified or blacklisted.

The politicians, bureaucrat and some Army brass are all hand in glove.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles