'I may not leave Russian presidency'

Zebra

Country flag
https://tetrasys.fi:10443/in/nyt/1096~151~1001465/'I-may-not-leave-Russian-presidency'

'I may not leave Russian presidency'

Putin Laughs Off Talk of Not Being President

Newsweek 21/07/2017 23:30:00 Damien Sharkov

© Alexey Nikolsky/AFP/Getty ImagesRussian President Vladimir Putin answers questions on TV. Russian President Vladimir Putin has not yet decided if he will step away from the presidency, he told a forum of Russian children on Russian state television on Friday.

"There are many interesting things to do in the world," Putin said, after underscoring that he has "not yet decided if I will leave the presidency or not," to laughter and applause from the studio.

"I love ecology," Putin said. "I consider it very promising," reminding the audience of Russian children and teenagers, gathered in NTV 's studio to field their questions to the leader, that he has a longstanding interest in animal conservation.

Putin is yet to confirm if he plans to run for a fourth presidential term next March, though with few public figures in Russia receiving close to the same level of attention as him and no heir apparent, analysts expect him to run and win. "I have not decided if it is necessary for me to continue my work in this capacity. I will see. The elections are in 2018. There is time still until the start of the election campaign," he said.

So what motivated Putin to become president? "I never planned on being president so nothing drove me to do it," the former director of Russia's security services said, casting his mind back to 1999. "The first president of Russia, Boris Nikolaevich Yeltsin, invited me and said that he wants to submit my candidature for the prime minister's job so I could then run for president. I told him directly 'Boris Nikolaevich, I am not ready for this. For this I needed to totally change my fate. I am not ready for it.'"........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles