I don't like Ram, he was a bad husband: Jethmalani

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

NEW DELHI: In an embarrassment to BJP which has spearheaded the Ram Temple movement and Hindutva agenda, the party's Rajya Sabha member Ram Jethmalani today termed Ram, the protagonist of Ramayana, as a "bad husband".

Speaking at a function to launch a book on a man-woman relationship, Jethmalani said "Ram was a bad husband. I don't like him at all. Just because some fisherman said something, he sent that poor woman (Sita) to exile." He went on to take a jibe at Lakshman by saying he was "even worse".

He said, "When Sita was abducted, Ram asked him to go and find her as she was abducted during his watch. Lakshman simply excused himself saying she was his sister-in-law and he never looked at her face, so he wouldn't be able to identify her", Jethmalani said. Earlier, Jethmalani spoke against use of religion and said "today we are at the crossroads of the very fate of this planet.

Religion has totally changed. Religion has produced terror. Religion has produced those who issue fatwas of murder."

I don't like Ram, he was a bad husband: Jethmalani - The Times of India on Mobile

3. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Well, Ramayana was the product of a very patriarchal society. I think at the end of the story Ram told Sita to commit suicide, since she had been "dishonored" by being kidnapped by Ravana. But miraculously Sita was saved by Agni because she had a pure heart, or something like that, but this doesn't happen in real life!

But the person who made this comparison is an idiot. Even in the 21st century we are still strongly patriarchal and there are plenty of worse husbands.

prateikf likes this.
  4. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Though I don't fully agree with Ram Jethmalani but he has a point. As it is said, the path of Dharma is very "Sukshma".
    It is difficult to know what was right in a given circumstance. There are many actions of Rama and Krishna which have been questioned for ages and this one is not new.

Similar debates happen in our house hold too but related to pushtimarg vaishnav practices. :)

5. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

Let Ram be d-mon! let him be id-ot, why should I bother? I have my personal views as every one has! whats the BIG deal? Even I am the creation of GOD ( If GOD exists ) then I too have some Godliness in me. Why only pray to Ram , why should not I pray my inner GOD? Its all individual approach. I believe in Shiva, I Believe in Shakti, its all personal view!

prateikf likes this.
  6. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Nice, I am also born into a Pushtimarg family, thought I am now a neo-Advaitin.

ani82v likes this.
  7. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

Can we have a Philosophy thread ? Lets know what is the philosophy of every Religion!

8. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Embrace the Catvari Aryasatyani.

9. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

You're free to open one :)

10. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Ye sab kya hai ??:confused:

11. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Tame bhi Shrinathji wara cho?

Ankit Purohit likes this.
  12. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Even though he is one of the best lawyers, but is looking at things without context. Ram was not just a husband but also the ruler.

It is easy for Sonia to stay silent on Vadra's issues but idea of Ramayana is different.

spikey360 and hit&run like this.
  13. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

FFF

- Fear
    - Fairytales
    - Fake

14. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Diwali sometimes brings Rama's role as a husband into question. Feminists criticise him fiercely, while devotees defend him staunchly. That Rama told Sita after (defeating Ravana) that she was as impure as a sacrificial oblation licked by a dog & was free to go her own way, is the eye of the storm.

But let's leave the controversy to the feminists and the devotees. I'd like to salute the season with a beautiful verse from Kalidasa. The splendour of Autumn is described in this verse from chapter 4 of Kalidasa's Raghuvamsa, comparing it to Raghu, who is Rama's ancestor. Autumn tries to imitate Raghu's 'Shri' (splendour) but fails so resplendent is the 'dharmavijayi' & 'digvijayi' ancestor of Rama.

The verse:

पुण्डरिकातपत्रस्तं विकसत्काश्चामरः रितुर्विडंबायमास न पुनः प्राप तच्छ्रीयम्

(By the way it's a long ई in pundareeka, but I just couldn't fix it. Sorry)

(With these attributes) पुण्डरीक lotus आतपत्रः umbrella विकसत् blossomed काश grass (as) चामरः chowrie ऋतुः the season (Autumn) तम् Him (Raghu) विडंबयमास imitated न पुनः प्राप still did not obtain तत् His (Raghu's) श्रियम् splendour.

What's beautiful about this verse is that the umbrella and the chowrie are royal insignia and would be carried by Raghu, and they also mark the Autumnal lotuses and white grass which blossoms in that season.

Learn Sanskrit And Read The Scriptures For Yourself!

parijataka and Das ka das like this.
  15. Defenceindia2010

Defenceindia2010 Regular Member

Ram Jethmalani should first help in getting BJP's house in order, be a good politician not a commentator we have them in abundance. :sad:

parijataka likes this.
  16. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Well, Sri Rama is known as `maryada purushottama` for having done his duty always whether to his parents or as a king to his subjects. He is said to have asked Sita to undertake a test for her chastity when he heard his subjects doubting her. As a husband he observed `eka patnivrata` and never looked at any other woman than Sita - many would be unaware that similar to a `pativrata` woman a man can also be a `patnivrata`. During Sita's separation from him, he is said to have kept a golden statue of her beside him on his throne. Also, Sri Rama's avatara is said to be that of dukhaand suffering as he never had a happy life beginning with being banished to live in the forest by his step mother and then being separated from Sita and his sons later.

spikey360 and panduranghari like this.
  17. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I can hear loud proclamations of "Ram, Ram!" over the statement of Ram by Ram (Jethmalani!

18. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

:no:

btw, Gujarat Samachar made this news as Headlines. Does this really need such coverage ??

19. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

Ram was not an Avatar!he was just a great Aryan king who lead an expedition againt the non-Aryan king Ravana and defeated and captured Lanka!its only in the late 2nd-4th century A.D. that people started to worship Ram as an Avatar of Lord Vishnu.the same story goes with Lord Krishna who was a great politician,diplomat and statesman in his age but later people started worshipping him as an Avatar of Lord Vishnu just like Ram!well these are my personal opinions based on some evidences(btw i am not an atheist)!

20. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

So he & his party going to build temples for bad husbands in coming election ? :troll:

21. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Path of dharma is sukshma, and swadhyaya has its limits. Get a guru.

Blackwater likes this.