I am perplexed by this sequence of photos

cir

Anyone care to explain what had happened in the end?

Thanks。

DivineHeretic

Country flag
This is a GPS guided munition. Now GPS civillian signal is only accurate upto a CEP of 25-30 m. Outside NATO no one has access to Military signals for GPS. So by all means the munition did a very good job. Note that the blast radius of a HE warhead of 500 lb is about 50 m, so the target would be destroyed irrespective of whether it was pun point accurate or not.

venkat

cir?Do you have to open a new thread for your silly question? please go to chitchat thread and post there!!! mods please note !!!! There is no involvement of GPS here. The target will be illuminated with a laser designator pod and the optical seeker attached to the bomb nose will home in to the illuminated target and glides towards the target!!!

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Oops, my bad again. U r right this is an Lgb, i was actually thinking about the GPS conversion kit for dumb bombs when i wrote the earlier statement.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
cir?Do you have to open a new thread for your silly question? please go to chitchat thread and post there!!! mods please note !!!! There is no involvement of GPS here. The target will be illuminated with a laser designator pod and the optical seeker attached to the bomb nose will home in to the illuminated target and glides towards the target!!!
Now the laser guided part does raise the question, it is not usual for a Laser guided munition to miss its mark unless there is strong wind in the path of the munition. How far do you recon the munition fell away from the target?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if you see the first pic, angle of LGM shows it is going to the target, may be proximity fuse inthis one or strong wind, white smoke shows it is practice explosive.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Now the laser guided part does raise the question, it is not usual for a Laser guided munition to miss its mark unless there is strong wind in the path of the munition. How far do you recon the munition fell away from the target?
Only 40-60% of Laser or gps guided reached the target in Gulf war, may be they used tageting pod on fighter, which is on move, that has caused this.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Either the target was small or sue the manufacturer

only possible options i believe

a very good find OP

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Either the target was small or sue the manufacturer

only possible options i believe

a very good find OP
:tsk:

Above is bombing accuracy data from the service trials of the Vought A-7E Corsair II used to compute its CEP, Circular Error Probable, the circle within which 50% of the bombs hit when dropped one per attack. Its bombing system was probably as accurate as could be achieved with unguided Mk 80 series bombs. Even so, the actual hits relative to the target were not as close as those on the plot. They were tweaked a bit because the bombing computer was programed for a 200 millisecond delay in bomb release instead of the measured 50 millisecond delay of the bomb rack used. (For reference, the average human's reaction time to an anticipated action is about 200 milliseconds.)

The blue rectangle is an American football field. You wouldn't want to be standing in the middle of one being targeted by an A-7E dropping a 500-lb Mk 82 general purpose bomb—the lethal and effective casualty circles are shown in red. You were more likely to be killed by one bomb than not because the fragmentation/blast effect was 100% fatal in the lethal circle and fragmentation would result in 50% fatalities in the effective casualty circle. However, bunkers, tanks, buildings, and certainly bridges were a lot less likely to damaged by one bomb. It therefore might take a lot of them to do the job.

The accuracy of precision-guided weapons is far better. Theoretically, a laser-guided bomb will hit within 10 feet of the targeted point and one with GPS capability, within 40 feet. Far fewer bombs and missions were required for a given target. The requirement imposed by stealth to limit the number of bombs to those that could be carried internally was less of a penalty. The Navy benefited even more than the Air Force because of the logistics involved in resupplying an aircraft carrier with bombs and aircraft.

U.S. Navy Aircraft History: Why Laser-Guided Bombs

Immanuel

Country flag
I didn't hear much about the Sudarshan, I hope they have by now pleaced orders for 100K+ kits to be used from all platforms in our inventory.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Nowhere is the structure mentioned as a target. It may be a control structure to assess accuracy and level of collateral damage in case of a precision strike in a populated area for all we know.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Nowhere is the structure mentioned as a target. It may be a control structure to assess accuracy and level of collateral damage in case of a precision strike in a populated area for all we know.
I doubt thats the case. If the test was to assess accuracy and level of collateral damage in case of a precision strike in a populated area, it would make more sense to create a crude setup of such a location. Also if you notice the 1st pic, you will see that the munition is set up to hit the target structure. This last second change in direction would suggest that there was a sudden change in wind in speed/direction, leaving the munition without enough time to allow for realignment. Another possibility could be the laser illuminator suddenly changed its point of illumination causing this, though this is less than likely

Decklander

Bomb seem to have hit at 7-8 o clock 10-15 yds, We can estimate the miss distance from the target size. The miss distance is about 2-3 target sizes.
The accuracy is also dependent on the tracking platforms accuracy in keeping the target illuminated precisely all thru the bomb delivery. If the pipper is not kept precisely on the target, such miss takes place alsi it appears to me that pipper was kept on the target rather on top of it. Whenever you put the pipper on target you always get a undershoot hit.

Last edited:
D

Drona

Apart from argument of CEP , I have another argument,

I don't really thing that "alleged target" is actual target. it seems their is some kind of reflector to identify actual target location which should be near "alleged target", on the ground ! Because this picture has been taken during testing n not during some kind of show(correct me please) and I don't think they would stop after testing single LGB n reconstruct all that "alleged target" again then again test another LGB n so on..... thats not smart. waste of time and fighter fuel...etc.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Bomb seem to have hit at 7-8 o clock 10-15 yds, We can estimate the miss distance from the target size. The miss distance is about 2-3 target sizes.
The accuracy is also dependent on the tracking platforms accuracy in keeping the target illuminated precisely all thru the bomb delivery. If the pipper is not kept precisely on the target, such miss takes place alsi it appears to me that pipper was kept on the target rather on top of it. Whenever you put the pipper on target you always get a undershoot hit.
something like this he just pull up at the last movement still target was hit

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sudarshan Laser Guided bomb has weight of about 500 kg, now just think 450 kg cl-20 explosive will take out such a big area.

venkat

some clarification in trishul blog
'"LGB missing" - it did not miss! All LGBs have a circular error probable, ranging from 10-30 m for non GPS assisted ones, within which if the bomb falls, the primary target is destroyed once the explosives do their job. In this test, clearly, the Sudarshan was launched without any HE and still came well within 10 m of the target, which in real life would devastate the target with its HE warhead!"

Global Defence

New threads

Articles