Hyderabad to become India’s first slum-free city

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

GHMC gets Rs 250cr for slum-free Hyderabad | Deccan Chronicle

The Centre has given Rs 250 crore to the municipal corporation for making Hyderabad India’s first slum-free city.

The city was the first to get the amount for the National Slum Free City Campaign under the Rajiv Awas Yojana.

According to the GHMC Urban Community Development officials, since the municipal corporation had taken the initial steps for the project and had submitted a report to the Centre much ahead of other cities, the Union government had no problem sanctioning the amount.

“We were much ahead of other cities in proceeding with the project so the Union government was very keen. Ours will be the flagship programme. The Union government has called us for a meeting on June 24 to discuss the details,” says a senior municipal officer.

There are 1,472 notified slums in Greater Hyderabad of which 153 will be taken up in the first phase of the Slum-Free Hyderabad project. “The sanctioned amount will be spent on the physical and social infrastructural development of the slums. Once the project is implemented, the slu-ms would be de-notified as regular colonies,” he added.

GHMC officials said that the entire project was targeted for completion in five years in five phases and the total cost of the project was Rs 11,282 crore.

Meanwhile, the GHMC is gearing up for Jagne-ki-Raat that will be observed by the Muslims on June 30. The GHMC will provide temporary lighting systems in mosques and grave yards and proper sanitation facilities will also be made available.

The Mayor, Ms Kartika Reddy, said in view of Shab-e-Meraz (Jagne-ki-Raat), the GHMC has taken up works worth Rs 10 lakhs.

3. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

I have charminar in hyderabad to sell .Hyderabad is anything but a slumfree city.The entire lower tank bund becomes lake hussain sagar in case of a torrential rainfall and less said about the old city localities and the locals attitudes towards hygiene there and less said about Barkhas and Santoshnagar

4. indian_sukhoi

indian_sukhoi Regular Member

Living in Hyd ever since i was a kid and i simply couldn't see this happening. Development in Hyd had quite slowed downed.

Firstly u cannot prevent slums, Especially in Developing countries. You can reduce the slums by focusing on growth on smaller cities.The problem is cities remain magnets for rural Indians seeking a better life and settle whereever they can find a place. In our Administration, you may can reduce slums but cant prevent them.

Unlike Mumbai,......There is not much slums in Hyderabad. Government did try to reduce the slums by giving free housings, developing flats and Slums de-notified as regular colonies. But people just either lease or sell those houses and move back settle somewhere again.

Correct chepav!!!!
    Places like these we cant develop at all. Forget it!!!

5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Jagan is going to make houses for all slum dwellers!!!

6. ganesh177

ganesh177 Regular Member

Reading the title i was very excited, but reading the comments from locals got me disappointed.

7. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

:pound:

Slum-free Hyderabad? No Indian city can be "slum-free" as long as our fat housewives rely on housemaids to do the work while they lay their fat arses on the couch to watch Kekta Kapoor's cheesy bullcrap.

If you're calling Charminar (old city) a slum, then your definition of slum is screwed up. Settler-infested backwash around Kukatpally and Dishuknagar...now that's slum.

*irregular settlements that are out of city plan.

8. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

I'll believe it when I see it. There is no way India can approach this complex issue from the position of a welfare state. The best they can do right now is to improve the nation's infrastructure to promote sustainable economic activity in Rural India thereby mitigating mass migration to urban centers. Comprehensively improving infrastructure will also enable better urbanization in smaller cities.

9. malluowl

malluowl Regular Member

I bet some of our politicians and government officials are going to get some moolah from this, I do not see anything else happening.
    Quoting another poster here, development across the board will help in slum reduction and eventually its elimination. I bet we can control half of the new diseases if we develop sensibly.

10. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Well at least there is a vision to make Hyderabad the first slum free city so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. And it all depends on how the Mayor Ms Kartika Reddy runs the show. Also this time the PPP mode is being used and funding is coming from the Centre. The only thing I would be wary of is the corruption that usually happens in such projects.

So that means we need a whole army of RTI activists to keep the govt. on its toes.

Slum-free Hyderabad | Siasat
    Hyderabad, May 14: In a bid to make Hyderabad a slum-free city, the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) has decided to either shift or remodel existing slums. Apart from this, slums which lack basic facilities will be provided these facilities.

In a major boost to the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation, the Central government has decided to fund the “Slum Free Hyderabad” project under the Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY) scheme. The GHMC, which had earlier failed to execute the project on its own, has prepared fresh estimates as the Union government is all set to fund the project as part of its overall strategy to make India slum free.
    There are 1,472 notified slums in Greater Hyderabad of which 290 will be taken up in the first phase of the Slum Free Hyderabad project.

The project envisages construction of housing units and development of underground drainage, water supply network and connections to individual houses, laying of cement roads, street lighting, community development centres and other civic and transport infrastructure in the slums “at par with the facilities available in other parts of the city”. Of the 295 slums, the civic body has short-listed 70 where housing will be taken up and another 153 slums will be provided with civic infrastructure facilities at an estimated cost of nearly Rs 550 crore in the first phase of the project.

GHMC officials said the entire project is targeted to be completed in five years in five phases, and the total cost of the project is Rs 11,282 crore. Two expert private consultants — Voyants and NCPE Infrastructure India Private Limited — have been awarded the contracts to prepare detailed
    project reports for execution of works in the slums.

Housing in some of the slums will be taken up under a Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode. GHMC is seeking the help of Hyderabad district collectorate authorities in identifying the land for housing and the Andhra Pradesh State Housing Board to take up the project on PPP mode. Officials said detailed project reports for 153 slums have been finalised so far and estimates for Rs 545.55 crore have been sent to the state government to be forwarded to the Centre for seeking funds under RAY.