How to 'win' a war ?

Arnab Banerjee

Guys I am new to this forum but I enjoyed a lot. I wonder what are the key factors for success in winning ground war, sea war and air war?

Please tell me in detail or give me sources.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
U need will, determination, valor, courage and a reason to win any war.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Every war has to be won on the ground, ultimately. To use the analogy of chess, Infantry is the Queen of Battle.

pmaitra

Every war has to be won on the ground, ultimately. To use the analogy of chess, Infantry is the Queen of Battle.
I agree. Eventually, it is the foot soldiers who win the war (or battle).

However, majority of those that die are also these very foot-soldiers, that is why they are called pawns in the game of chess, not Queen (I beg to disagree here. :)).

john70

Country flag
Eventually everything boils down to planning and execution power of the commander, and the strong determination of the men doing the work. MANEKSHAW MINDSET.

GUNS-N- ROSES

welcome to the forum.

first of all let me state there is nothing called Infantry war, naval war or air war in modern times. a war is merely achievement of military to accomplish political/strategic goal. and to achieve that goal it is essential that any mean at ur disposal is used. these days wars have become integrated and complex. the army alone cannot win war without the support of air force. the air force cannot occupy the ground. the navy is essential to keep trade lines in international waters safe and also ensure all trade route through international waters r blocked so that they do not get essential supplies.

the idea of a infantry war.air war/naval war is obsolete and wont find any takers in present times.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Are you talking of individual battles like say battle of Longewala?

If no, then no war is fought separately as such.

If agreed I will change the title to a wider topic of how wars are won where we can discuss tactics and doctrine.

pmaitra

^^

I agree. (provided you were asking everyone)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes I am asking everyone and especially OP as he started the thread.

Arnab Banerjee

thank you guys for so many reply in so little time.

i just wanna know :

is it number of weapons or personnel that decide the fate of war? if you outnumber your enemy, you can win.

or is it technology or tactics? if you have a better technology or tactics than your enemy, you can win.

please reply.

pmaitra

There is one thing I want to add.

Going to war for ambition and going to war for survival are two different things. If one party is invading for ambition and the other party is fighting for survival, in many cases, even if overwhelming and stronger, the party fighting for ambition will be unsuccessful.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The war doctrine plays a very important role and also the motto of the war,i.e. whether you want to establish full control by evading everything and taking complete control over the enemy and also the political will of the governing body of the country, in case of a country like INDIA which lacks the political will for doing anything. If not for the political will and a proper war doctrine, we would have got back KASHMIR in the aftermath of the 1971 war.

The 1971 Indo-Pak war is a standing proof that INDIA lacked both in war doctrine and political will, because the governing body was not clear about what to do after we won the war and just gave away all the P.O.W. and gained nothing after winning the war and just lost many soldiers for nothing. A good example is the great pilot Mr.Shikon and many others like him. They simply sacrificed their lives for nothing as INDIA did not have a proper war doctrine and also the political will to gain control of what we had achieved in the war.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles