How to Save a Hindu!

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by ani82v, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Baptist Press - How to share Christ with your Hindu friends - News with a Christian Perspective

CORDOVA, Tenn. (BP) -- If you've traveled most anywhere in the United States recently, you've likely had contact with a follower of Hinduism, a religion that is becoming a major factor on the American religious landscape.

Jeff Brawner
    Witnessing to Hindus can be daunting. A seminary student described his effort to reach out to a Hindu, saying, "They have all of those gods. I just felt ... helpless."

With 330 million gods, a Hindu's simple response can be, "How can we be wrong, if we accept that everyone is at least partially right?"

Still, increasing numbers of Hindus around the world are trusting Christ. The church in India now encompasses more than 70-million people, the world's eighth-largest Christian population.

To initiate sharing Christ with a Hindu, consider these four steps:

1. Befriend a Hindu. Invite your new Hindu friend to coffee or tea. Invest time in your new friend.

2. Avoid the urge just to be the person's friend. Take a leap of faith and talk about spiritual ideas as soon as possible. Mention how God has blessed you, so the person will know that you are a spiritual person.

3. Look for "spiritual clues" -- indications that God is working in the person's heart. If the person mentions thinking about spiritual matters, recognize that he or she might be open to a Gospel presentation. Seize the opportunity if it is available to take the bold step of presenting the Gospel to your friend.

In my book, "How to Share Christ with Your Friends of Another Faith," I give four different approaches to witnessing to a Hindu. For one of those, I asked "David S.," a veteran pastor who has served in India for more than 11 years, to describe his witnessing approach. Notice David's brief non-intimidating style. David looks for a person's needs and then shows how Christ meets those needs. Also, note how David constantly points his polytheistic friend to the only true God.

"I always start a conversation with the topic of my friend's family, such as his mother, father, wife, or children," David said. "I then continue the conversation by inquiring about their needs. I keep the conversation going until I find some place that isn't going well in the person's life.

"Whatever the stress in his or her life, I would ask, 'How are you feeling about it? Is it worrying you?'

"Whatever the specific needs, I express my concern and say, 'I believe in the One True God because He really loves me. I will pray for you. The One True God knows your problem and knows about you.'

"Then I say, 'Would you mind if I pray with you right now?' I would bow my head and clasp my hands in a posture of prayer. If my friend is a man, I will put my hand on his shoulder and pray RIGHT THEN for that need.

"With that prayer I have ministered to my friend immediately. Then I think of a story in the Bible that would match his dilemma.

"After relating the Bible story, I tell my friend, 'But all those blessings did not make me a true believer. Those were a kindness to me from the One True God.'

"I might give my friend an opportunity to give his life to Christ; however, I probably will wait to do so. Why? I wait, generally, because he still will have to deal with many issues such as idolatry and polytheism. You don't want to rush the process."

David's approach is simple and reproducible. Start now to pray about finding a Hindu friend with whom you can share Christ.
    --30--
    Jeff Brawner is chairman of the department of missions and assistant professor of missions, theology and church history at Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary in Cordova, Tenn. His book, "How to Share Christ with Your Friends of Another Faith," is available at Hannibal Books and such online sites as amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com.

3. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Okay, I'm sold.

parijataka and W.G.Ewald like this.
  4. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Okay, i thought from the title of the thread was how to save hindus from conversions.. silly me.

aragorn, W.G.Ewald and Rahul92 like this.
  5. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

I'm afraid that if a Hindu had a similar intention of 'saving' someone from another faith, the whole world would be Hindu.

6. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

:facepalm:

Anyway...
    Once a dude was handing out free Bibles, I took one.... why ?
    Not because I was gonna read it (I know the Bible pretty well), but because I thought "Hey, at least it I'll save someone else from religious BS".
    That dude must have thought "Oh , hey I nabbed a Hindu today" . Hahahaha.
    Wish I met more people like these, I know how to put them in there place.

maomao, Raj30 and Sridhar like this.
  7. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

The problem for these guys is Counter -Revolution is stepping in.The avg Caste hindu is a pastmaster in making a mess out of any religion .White baptist evangelists are not generally given Visa to India

8. IBSA

IBSA Regular Member

WTF? Is it a joke??

This dumbs Christians want to convert everyone for their religion, and think that only inside their religion a people can be saved from the evil.

I don't have religion and tolerates who has one, but this prozelytism annoys anyone. The book was wrote to convert a hindu, but its step-by-step can be utilised for conversion of others religions, including an atheistic as me.

Facing this, I do the inverse question: How to save a Christian as such above?:doh:

9. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Question should be , How to save pakistan??:laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Atheism and Agnostic is spreading like wildfire in US.Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin are speculated to be atheist

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Sameet Pattnaik likes this.
  11. Defenceindia2010

Defenceindia2010 Regular Member

No need to worry, the British rulers and the Christian missionary's could not spread the Christian faith when they were the rulers and then number they came close to converting is not more than 1% or so of the population. There have been numerous chaps like the one mentioned in the above article, when they cannot save then selves how do they expect to save others a project such as this invited a counter project from believers of other faith's and then everyone gets stuck in a spirals to save each other and the end result is more hardliner's and extremist's thought's. Do we really think that they can fool Hindus with this method, i know that the low cast are their target and many pseudo-secular's as well but we should not forget that when ever Hinduism came under pressure from selfish motives such as the one mentioned in the above article there have always been individuals who initiated reform movements, missionary movements which not only become a success but are the very reason that Hinduism exists today. :dharma:

12. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

Don't underestimate any potential challenge.It's just a way to be escapist.What we today call bangladesh,pakistan and afghanistan were hindu places but now there's no trace of hinduism left.We are not immortal people,we have to stand for what we believe in!

13. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

If you take atheism as "the rejection of a supernatural belief system" rather than political ideology or ignorance, then all atheists are educated.

14. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

Hinduism or rather Sanatan Dharma is undoubtedly the oldest existing religion in the enite world.to say correctly it's not even a religion but a way to lead life in peace,harmony and following the path of truth!it has sustained thousand of years of foreign aggression,religious bigots and still thrived to remain the third largest religion in the world.to a common Indian Hindu man Hinduism is embedded in nearly every aspect of his life.so one can't destroy the enire existance of more than 950 million Hindus in this country by forced conversion.they had tried vigorously in the past but had failed to wipe out the existence of Sanatan Dharma and i believe they will also fail miserably in the future:namaste:!

15. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Read Being Different by Rajiv MALHOTRA and fight them on their own territory. And then see them run away from you with tail between their legs.

Sameet Pattnaik likes this.
  16. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

dharmo rakshati rakshitaha.

17. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Actually the southern part of Afghanistan and Northern Pakistan (Gandhara) was predominantly Buddhist, with Hindu ruling classes. Same can be said of Sindh. Bengal was primarily Buddhist (home of the erstwhile Buddhist Pala empire) also. But you are right, it annoys me when people act like Hinduism will survive on its own without dedicated efforts by like-minded individuals.

maomao, Patriot and blank_quest like this.
  18. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

I've read that the very Constitution of USA is clear about keeping a distance from religion, especially the European baggage in this regard.
    They've always been the polar opposites of religious extremism.

19. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    Hinduism is like a Sponge , the oldest written or pictographical non religious records show images of the pashupatinath and the mother goddess from the Indus valley civilization, then we absorbed into this duality the creator and preserver from the later migrants into the subcontinent. it later assimilated the Buddhist and Jain pantheon into itself as well( most Hindus consider both Mahavira and the Buddha as akin to gods). Sikhism is also considered by almost all Hindus as part and parcel of the sanatana dharma and i would be hard pressed to find a Hindu who has something against paying obeisance to the holy granth sahib.
    Even in the case of Islam and Christianity ,Saint Thomas is accepted as an avatar of Lord murugan in parts to south India and Haji Ali , The Dargahs at Ajmer and Hazrat Nizamuddin are considered to be holy by many hindus as well.
    Hinduism is unique in that it is not rigid nor does it have any clearly defined boundaries , Christinaity might be brought in but rest assured in time it too will be assimilated.

20. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Highly unlikely that Christianity will be assimilated, hell we can't even assimilate the Sikhs (who have Abrahamic and Dharmic qualites), since its an exclusive dogma that is the anti-thesis of the intrinsic tendency of syncretism in Dharmic traditions.

21. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

The First Amendment to the US Constitution:

Das ka das likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.