How to make DFI more popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I made my points clear, And MODs knew this before..

Even they know abt the situation, Also i know abt the lack of staff members to monitor such a large community..

I rest my case here, I was told these religious and political sub forums may get shifted to IPF..

I hope for the best..

SpArK

SORCERER
isnt it a disturbing pattern. def.pk has more Indians than dfi
The participation of Indians on other forums are mainly due to the criticism and variety factor.
Those who likes debate on subjects like defence or economy, goes there.

While here, the debates are mainly political, regionalism and religion.( and we have some thick head bullies reigning supreme on those threads)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The participation of Indians on other forums are mainly due to the criticism and variety factor.
Those who likes debate on subjects like defence or economy, goes there.

While here, the debates are mainly political, regionalism and religion.( and we have some thick head bullies reigning supreme on those threads)
Disagree. It's only trolling. We know why people go to the othe forum. A good long thread is there on it.

SHASH2K2

Twitter and facebook are our biggest enemies and can be our biggest friends as well. all we need is to actively promote DFI there . one option is by using adwords and best and cheapest option is support of members in doing so . If top 100 members post just one good thread each day in their profile it will bring in a lot of publicity for us. yday I tweeted helicopter incident thread link on twitter and FB profile . AT one time number of guests in that thread was 150 . cant Imagine the number if 10 more members posted that thread in FB or twitter . It will make DFI popular as well as bring in awareness among common masses about defence .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal,

coming to the facts, there are a hundred million indians browsing the net, 2billion people across the globe and you are trying to convince me that a mere 1,500 defence related daily posts cant be generated within a span of 6 months?

what has been achieved. i said last year we were doing 150 defence related posts daily and the number now has shot up to 300-500defence posts. you see the doable?
@Sir,
I mentioned the reason why things i see different, I would never react like this..

What i told is simple as it is, What happening here can be seen with naked eyes..

What is bold in quote depends on lots of factor, I am not taking the world but active population of DFI itself now..

I dont know abt posts in 6 month span or a day, But what many see daily nowadays is the reason i am speaking..

And why its happening is well known cause..

And we know the solution..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
After the attack DFI is lost its charm, it is not the same old DFI, as it used to be, now people here are more interested in having more posts and more members.
Actually no. DFI has come back even stronger and doing better than before.

SHASH2K2

I also see lots of members cribbing about quality here . when thread goes off topic how many of them try to bring it back on topic :shocked:

personally I feel there is too much of personal attack going on these days . people can present even worst of opinions without getting personal but why attacking someone parents because you dont like his views .

S.A.T.A

People take the tag 'defense forum' a trifle too seriously and fail to see what the primary motivation is,which is provide a place where Indians talk to other Indians about mostly Indian things.The defense forum label that discussion boards take on is more of branding exercise.I'm pretty sure the old Indian defense forum was never imagined to be an exclusive military portal discussing military affairs.It gave a general starting point from where the board gave space where topics of different hue could discussed as long as here were people to discuss them.Iam pretty sure that was the principal premise on which DFI started.

I have rarely had any thing original to say on purely defense military-topics and pretty sure that is the case of most here.Constricting any discussion board to a very narrow field of expertise and interest,would amount to making it exclusive and as a consequence very unpopular.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
personally I feel there is too much of personal attack going on these days . people can present even worst of opinions without getting personal but why attacking someone parents because you dont like his views .
Its not going to stop..
As the topic itself is too fragile..

SpArK

SORCERER
Disagree. It's only trolling. We know why people go to the othe forum. A good long thread is there on it.

Its not just trolling. Yes trolling is there and in big form. But i have seen lots of members who participate regularly in defence related matters.

Problem starts when these guys join the mud fest.

At any given point of time , there upto a maximum number of 4-7 guys who are 1 year + old members.
Most of the other ones are either banned, or either lost interest or have re registered.

As a guy who have posted hundreds of threads on positive things and information or defense news related threads on that forum, i have seen more enthusiasm in members there, than here. Maybe its due to a psychological factor as to show the other one's that "we have this" or "check what we have done" , or see "we got a new deal" sort of attitude.

But here ( i do these days start threads here and there simultaneously) what i saw was members usually claiming " aah we already knew these things, or "well i already knew it.. i am a defence expert", sort of attitude. That keeps a lot of new-bees away from discussions. Its the same issue with BR. They have these experts and any noobs or a new enthusiast will have a difficult time in interacting with people who is in these areas for a long time.

Most of the members here are seasoned , they need to open up to accommodate the views of the newer members. Other wise this forum will be left with the same group of members for a long time.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
People take the tag 'defense forum' a trifle too seriously and fail to see what the primary motivation is,which is provide a place where Indians talk to other Indians about mostly Indian things
Completely agree, But their are Indian things which are not very good, Their are down right negative sides which is growing out of order..

Not every one is Intellegent enough to debate in civilised manner, Their are two options for them:

1. Quite and learn..
2. Bash around proving himself unstoppable king of kings..

Usually second goes first..

A sensitive topic started with some good intention can go like down right negative with human emotions running wildly..
This effect other, four things happens:

1. Stop posting for some time
2. He will retaliate..
3. He will become irritated..
4. Stop posting permanently..

This become the mindset of anyone viewing the forum..

SHASH2K2

But here ( i do these days start threads here and there simultaneously) what i saw was members usually claiming " aah we already knew these things, or "well i already knew it.. i am a defence expert", sort of attitude. That keeps a lot of new-bees away from discussions. Its the same issue with BR. They have these experts and any noobs or a new enthusiast will have a difficult time in interacting with people who is in these areas for a long time.

Most of the members here are seasoned , they need to open up to accommodate the views of the newer members. Other wise this forum will be left with the same group of members for a long time.
Maybe we can have a pro section and noobs sectionn. Also senors should encourage questions by noobs even if its stupid at times. DFI might be tough initially but its quite friendly once you start participating. I was lurking for 1 month before making my first post but now its family .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Problem that I see is that most of those who indulge into this are seniors . maybe they start taking things for granted after sometime.
Its a fourm anything can go wrong, The kind of topics and talks now in these sections are sensitive, offend other personal believes..

Reasoning with one is ok also its fine for two but when third made same insult or basing people lose their nerves and continue to be liked that one, His mind is down right negative for all those in the thread..

Anyone for long time see or involve in such mess usually turned out negative..

SpArK

SORCERER
Maybe we can have a pro section and noobs sectionn. Also senors should encourage questions by noobs even if its stupid at times. DFI might be tough initially but its quite friendly once you start participating. I was lurking for 1 month before making my first post but now its family .

That is what i am also suggesting. Bullying never helps. The internet is ever growing just like you and me there are hundreds or thousands of guys who wants to participate or have interest in what you and me are doing here. Attracting them needs a positive attitude.

For example consider a guy wants to join here and he checks the forum. what he sees is Indians having a go at each other on threads on regions, language and stuff like that. But when he checks the paki forum he will be seeing a Indo-Pak- BD sledge fight. Obviously that guy will be joining that fight due to basic human/Indian nature.

I just checked the the threads on both the forums . The threads going on here are "congress focus on muslim areas, Hinduism scientifically proven, how to make popular,muslim issue ultimatum, diwali for kanimoli, etc ..

But the Indian topics going around right now in of def.pk it is Talwar class frigate, deepak trainer, crashed IAF, India developing still more to go etc...

These differences speaks volumes of what interests people here and there.

And regarding family , the family has grown and there are a few big uncles, who wants to keep the boys behaved or impose the views upon them.

S.A.T.A

Completely agree, But their are Indian things which are not very good, Their are down right negative sides which is growing out of order..

Not every one is Intellegent enough to debate in civilised manner, Their are two options for them:

1. Quite and learn..
2. Bash around proving himself unstoppable king of kings..

Usually second goes first..

A sensitive topic started with some good intention can go like down right negative with human emotions running wildly..
This effect other, four things happens:

1. Stop posting for some time
2. He will retaliate..
3. He will become irritated..
4. Stop posting permanently..

This become the mindset of anyone viewing the forum..
All indian things can be discussed in a civilized manner so long as people dont let their massive egos overwhelm their narrow intellect.People must realize that not everyone is a Sakala kala vallabha(master of all fields) and ego clashes happen when they forget this principle.This is where the board has to rigorously maintain a template on the manner with which members address each topic and each other.What i notice here is a general lack of awareness of how intellectual exchanges,on what ever subject,are to be carried out.

Aggressive and confrontational approach when discussing anything is the main reason why debates descend into the online equivalent of tavern fisticuffs.This has to be discouraged by adopting uniform standards of etiquette's in communication.

Param

I think we should try to encourage more female members we have always had this in mind,but Females are not attracted to defense topics. Any members have suggestions to attract more females without losing our defense focus??
:D I agree more female members are needed.

SHASH2K2

That is what i am also suggesting. Bullying never helps. The internet is ever growing just like you and me there are hundreds or thousands of guys who wants to participate or have interest in what you and me are doing here. Attracting them needs a positive attitude.

For example consider a guy wants to join here and he checks the forum. what he sees is Indians having a go at each other on threads on regions, language and stuff like that. But when he checks the paki forum he will be seeing a Indo-Pak- BD sledge fight. Obviously that guy will be joining that fight due to basic human/Indian nature.

I just checked the the threads on both the forums . The threads going on here are "congress focus on muslim areas, Hinduism scientifically proven, how to make popular,muslim issue ultimatum, diwali for kanimoli, etc ..

But the Indian topics going around right now in of def.pk it is Talwar class frigate, deepak trainer, crashed IAF, India developing still more to go etc...

These differences speaks volumes of what interests people here and there.

And regarding family , the family has grown and there are a few big uncles, who wants to keep the boys behaved or impose the views upon them.

well I also belong to Uncle class I presume and I never bully around. I also have fight with many of those bullies whenever I feel they are crossing the line. sometimes I feel that attitude of showing supremacy thats very much part of neighbors forum culture is affecting DFI as well. here we dont have many pakistanis so that attitude affects Indians . I dont think we are not discussing defence related topics here . I can give 5-6 very good defence threads that has been going on in past 2-3 days. thing is that here we discuss for sake of gaining knowledge and there for sake of showing off who is superior.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All indian things can be discussed in a civilized manner so long as people dont let their massive egos overwhelm their narrow intellect.
People must realize that not everyone is a Sakala kala vallabha(master of all fields) and ego clashes happen when they forget this principle.

This is where the board has to rigorously maintain a template on the manner with which members address each topic and each other.What i notice here is a general lack of awareness of how intellectual exchanges,on what ever subject,are to be carried out.

Aggressive and confrontational approach when discussing anything is the main reason why debates descend into the online equivalent of tavern fisticuffs.This has to be discouraged by adopting uniform standards of etiquette's in communication.
As per book yes, But its not practical in such sensitive zones, Everyone has his self respect, Respect for his believes, One may be right but for other its wrong, than other is right in his view and other is wrong, Even the most intellectually person cannot differentiate some times between right and wrong, Its just the side see his option right, You cannot judge there. You Let it as it is and wait to get to some result, Now that instant it becomes troll heaven..

Their is nothing educative abt it, Just raw hate and negativity..

This all effect other as other who are not involved can access and read it, One cannot stop that either, By reading such hateful comment how one can be positive productive as always..

For most its not possible..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles